What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana
This topic is about She Got Up Off the Couch
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Biography of a mother waking up [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warborn13 (new)

Warborn13 | 2 comments I remember a hardback biography coming out between 2002 and 2007 from the perspective of a child about a mother that put down her sci-fi novel and started fixing her life. She got in better shape, went back to school, divorced her husband when he fought her about the changes, and showed her child/children that it could be done. I want to say 'My Mother Waking Up' is either in the title or the cover description. What is the title?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Warborn13, are you still looking for this? Was it "She Got Up Off the Couch?"

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I'm guessing this is the right book, although I haven't been able to confirm the "sci-fi novel" and the divorce. Has anyone read this and can confirm those details?

message 5: by BookWoman (new)

BookWoman | 125 comments From the back cover:

"After twenty years of burrowing into the corner of the family couch, eating junk food, and reading science fiction, Indiana mother Delonda Jarvis did something that shocked her family: she went to college.

Despite having no money, no car, and a resentful husband, Delonda managed to obtain a master's degree in English. The former teenage bride also dropped one hundred pounds, learned how to drive, and become a breadwinner. but as she reclaimed herself, her marriage disintegrated."

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm going to call this SOLVED.