The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) The Lost Hero discussion

Do you have to read Percy before you read this?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I’m just wondering, because I didn’t really like the Percy Jackson series, so I only read the first book – and this is a while ago, so I can’t remember much.
So, do you have to read the Percy series? Or will I be OK?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you do

Leah It would probably help if you did... there are a lot of references and inside jokes about Percy Jackson. However, one of my friends just read Heroes of Olympus without reading PJO and she understood it fine.

Aiyana Leigh You should be ok but it might be a little confusing...it would help you out a lot to read the PJO first. I hated the like half of the first book but then i really got into it. Give it another try!

notyourfriend yes you do! but thats ok because they are all great!

♪♫Gloria♫♪ You don't have to, but you'd understand it better.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel YES!!!!!! If you dont you will be confused!!!! Plus you would'nt understand

Sarah I think you don't have too. But if you did you would better understand the characters and the mythology associated with the plot line.

Brittany Actually I didn't even know about the percy series before I read the heros series...I understood it perfectly, he didn't make it confusing at all. So, no. In my opinion you don't have to reread them or read them at all to understand the heros series. I am just now reading the percy series lol.

Sarah You better read it. If you don't you would be a cheater.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't HAVE to, there's a lot of inside jokes and stories you won't understand and lot's of characters that aren't described at all because Rick Riordan assumed you've read the first 5 PJ books, so no, but to enjoy it you have to

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I understood it fine and it was the first rick riordan book i read

george ☽ No, you don't have to, but there are inside jokes and other things that you won't understand.

I would recommend that you do read the Percy Jackson series first, but you definitely don't have to.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah after i read pjo it did make more scence

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

u dont have to but it will b easier to understand and funnier for u cos u will get percy's history and everything
plus i personally think PJO is a teeny bit better than HoO

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It was tons better thab HoO but there all amazing books

Vinylscratch52 not exactly because it doesn't focus on him but u should 2 understand it more

Caraline Hello! I would really recommend reading the PJ books first... The later books are definitely better, so just try to get through the first few :) trust me, it will make reading THOO much better! Hope this helped!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Everything is re-explained in the Heroes of Olympus series, but reading the first series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians is highly recommended and will better help you understand the carried-over characters (Percy, Annabeth, Grover, Nico, etc.). Plus, there are many references to the original Percy Jackson series (which in my opinion is far better).

Bookluvr luvr I would say yes

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

You could read this by itself, but it'd be a bit harder to understand some of the details explained in the original series. Plus it's easier to like the book if you already have the love of Camp Half-Blood and Percy and everyone that comes from reading the first series

Autumn hey hellen just going out to say it plz dont get mad and sorry i f you do but YOU DONT LIKE PERCY THATS LIKE SAYING YOU HATE PUPPIES OR EVEN WORSE CANDY glad i got that out but no you dont though i suggest you do because if you dont like percy your going to hate jason unless you like him then :/ whatever

Maxine ❃ etherealpages In my opinion, no. I haven't read the PJO series YET but I understood this series.

Sarah Weise I don't think you do. I actually asked my bf the same question and he told me I didn't have to, but I would probably understand better if i did. But even if I didn't I would still be able to understand even if i didn't read the other previous.
Besides, I saw the movie and usually when I see the movie to anything then I don't really feel the need to read the book. I already felt like I had enough info haha :]

Jessie YES, well... i think so.

message 27: by Kei (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kei Walker -_-
i don't really get people who say they understand all the inside jokes... but maybe they're just really astute or don't even get there were inside jokes b/c they were so inside...
people who say they got the story is no surprise though

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

u wouldn't understand a lot of things if u started with this book

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

You dont have to but it would make a alot better sense plus he makes jokes for the other books and u wouldnt understand it if u would but id say yes you probably need to read it

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Helen wrote: "I’m just wondering, because I didn’t really like the Percy Jackson series, so I only read the first book – and this is a while ago, so I can’t remember much.
So, do you have to read the Percy serie..."

itd be best if u read them anyway ud understand this sercies better

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Um yeah, you have to read the PJO series first. You wont understand the characters from the PJO series as much.

Kimberly you dont have to but if u want more info on percy u can

Sandie It will be more helpful and easier to know what's going on. So I suggest you read the series. It's fantastic, so you probably won't have a hard time.

Salome Yes, you really do. At least, that would be the way to get the whole experience.

arabella You probably need to because you need the whole experience.

message 36: by sim (new) - added it

sim You should because there are a LOT of characters from Percy Jackson whose awesomeness you wouldn't know about in Heroes of Olympus. Plus there's the story line thing. The last book war is mentioned a lot and other references too. So... yeah!

message 37: by sim (new) - added it

sim Sandra wrote: "Helen wrote: "I’m just wondering, because I didn’t really like the Percy Jackson series, so I only read the first book – and this is a while ago, so I can’t remember much.
So, do you have to read t..."

Exactly my point! I gave Percy Jackson five stars and Heroes of Olympus like 4 or 4 and a half stars. So if you don't like Percy Jackson, you probably won't like Heroes of Olympus too.

message 38: by Erroll (new)

Erroll Treslan I have not read the series and I have the lost hero and the three following and from what I'm hearing, I'm going to get the lightning thief and read it before the other books. Thanks for all this information!

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily The Percy Jackson series was Rick Riordan’s first book series and The Lost Hero is almost like the sequel series to Percy Jackson because it has some characters from that series and it would be a little confusing if you didn’t read Percy Jackson first. This book comes after the last book in the Percy Jackson series and it has some characters and almost the same plot as that series. So, if you were to read this book, you should read the Percy Jackson series first and it also comes down to if you like to read Greek Mythology fiction books.

Bibliophie Percy Jackson is better than Heroes of Olympus, so you should definitely read PJO first. Also, if you don't like PJO, don't even bother reading The Lost Hero.

Elizabeth I think you should, but you don't have to. There are some jokes and references that will make you confused, I'm sure. It's your choice, not mine.

Amelia M I think u should

its ur choice tho