GraveTells Book Club discussion

North of Need (Hearts of the Anemoi, #1)
This topic is about North of Need
North of Need - Week Four > Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A (new) - rated it 3 stars

A (amb86) | 200 comments Mod
After finishing it what were your final thoughts? Did the end wrap it up for you in a way that left you all warm and fuzzy inside?

message 2: by Sue "DavinciKittie" (last edited Dec 29, 2012 11:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue "DavinciKittie" Brown-Moore (davincikittie) | 119 comments Mod
Yes, definitely! Left me wanting to read the rest of the series too. West of Want was great (similar style and emotional upheaval) but didn't have the pop that NoN did for me. There's definitely some magic in those mismatched button eyes... ;-)

Rhianna (rhireading) | 16 comments I have to agree with DVK in regards to WoW versus NoN. I think for me it was more that you go from a sort of cozy just Owen and Megan centered story to meeting the broader pantheon. That said though, it's definitely one of my favorite series. Strong heroes, equally strong heroines, and emotionally satisfying romance. It was great to get a re-read of NoN in over the holidays even if I didn't get to finish it until Christmas night. Worst time of year to try and catch up on reading. :P

Rhianna wrote: "Worst time of year to try and catch up on reading."
No kidding! I've been book-starved for the past 6 weeks or so, dealing with work and end-of-year award setup, so I've been practically gorging on books this last week. Finally got to read some I've been wanting to check out forever and found an awesome new series. And alas, now I am snowed under (har har - if Owen were involved that wouldn't be a negative :p) with blog work. Bad blogger, bad!!

Sarah (austinbooklover) | 44 comments I have to say that I read the latter half faster than the first half. It was very predictable, 2D and shallow emotion wise for me. It seemed very contrived is the best I could put it. I had a hard time believing in the characters and unfortunately have no desire to read more in the series which to me is always a key indicator that it just was not a good book.

message 6: by A (new) - rated it 3 stars

A (amb86) | 200 comments Mod
The end of the book pulled me in. I was a little slow at first but then the emotion I just got caught up. The loss she had felt, the fighting she had was if it was right to fall in love so quickly, and all that.

It was a nice cozy read that at the end I felt was wrapped up nicely. I was glad the characters involved both got what they deserved in a nice way. There are too many books where the main characters just get ripped to shreds with no end in site so this was nice to see.

Christmas is really hard for me bc of losses not in the same capacity so this kind of brought a good feeling to it.

Sarah wrote: "It was very predictable, 2D and shallow emotion wise for me. It seemed very contrived is the best I could put it. time believing in the characters and unfortunately have no desire to read more in the series which to me is always a key indicator that it just was not a good book."
Are we reading the same book? Whew. I think you're the first person I've introduced the book to who didn't like it (although I'm sure there are some out there - I just haven't heard about it - everybody likes different things! =) ). Predictable, I can see in parts... it's a romance, so we know it will have a HEA and we know there will have to be some sort of grief or conflict to overcome. I'm curious what about it came off as shallow or 2D?

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin Shah | 6 comments I didn't find it it shallow, but I kinda wanted to see her introduce Owen to her family. I'm a fan of the slow curtain at the end.:-) Otherwise it was very enjoyable and satisfying.

Karin wrote: "I didn't find it it shallow, but I kinda wanted to see her introduce Owen to her family. I'm a fan of the slow curtain at the end.:-) Otherwise it was very enjoyable and satisfying."
Have you read Donya Lynne's All the King's Men series? She definitely does the slow curtain at the end! They feel a little like the multiple endings of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, but it's totally satisfying to get completely closure between stories that share plot arcs from book to book!

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin Shah | 6 comments Thanks! I'll have to look those up! :-)