Newbery Books discussion

Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 25 comments Mod
Wikipedia has lists of the Newberry Award and Honor books. What have you read? What have you liked?

I've read a dozen or so books on the award list, and maybe another dozen of the honor winners. I just finished The Westing Game, which I found a fun, if somewhat dated (1978) yarn. I thought Holes was good, maybe bordering on great.

Probably my favorite Newberry author is Lois Lowry. Number The Stars is just amazing, and a while ago I traded Lowrys with someone, and while he read Number The Stars, I read The Giver. Also truly great.

message 2: by marie (new)

marie (marieduke) | 3 comments i suck at goodreads, but this is a great idea, Lisa. Thanks.

message 3: by Kristie (last edited Jan 05, 2008 03:22PM) (new)

Kristie (kristie621) | 1 comments You know, I'm not sure I realized how few Newbery Award books I've read...only one that I know of for sure (A Wrinkle in Time, which I've read a number of times), though there are a few titles that sound familiar enough I might very well have read them as a kid.

I do have plans to eventually read Bridge to Terabithia (a coworker gave me an extra copy she found a few years ago) and The Tale of Despereaux (I've seen Kate DiCamillo interviewed and I see the book at the library all the time).

I've read a bunch of the Honor winners (quite a few of those are the Little House books -- I actually starting collecting the ones I didn't already own a few years ago so I can reread them someday -- but a fair number of others as well), and have a few more that I'm intending to read eventually.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda B (amandacoppedge) I had a wonderful 8th grade teacher who made the year-long English assignment to read 25 Newbery books, so I have read a bunch of 'em. When I have more time I'll go down the list! Thanks for inviting me to the group.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda B (amandacoppedge) Counting the medal winners only, these are the ones I have read. The ones with *'s are my all-time favorites.

Bud, Not Buddy
*Holes
Midwife's Apprentice
Walk Two Moons
Giver
Missing May
Maniac Magee
Number the Stars
Sarah Plain and Tall
*Hero and the Crown
Dear Mr. Henshaw
*Dicey's Song
Jacob Have I Loved
*Westing Game
Bridge to Terabithia
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
Summer of the Swans
*From the Mixed-Up Files . . .
*Up a Road Slowly
Wrinkle in Time
*Island of the Blue Dolphins
*Witch of Blackbird Pond

I know I read more as part of the aforementioned project in 8th grade, but I don't remember anything about them and would feel dishonest for claiming them. :)

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda B (amandacoppedge) I predict Shannon Hale will get an award, probably the honor again, for Book of a Thousand Days.

message 7: by Penny (new)

Penny | 2 comments Hear are the ones I've read, with *s by my favorites:

Julie of the Wolves
Sounder
From the Mixed-up Files...*
A Wrinkle in Time
The Bronze Bow*
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
Johnny Tremain
Caddie Woodlawn
The Trumpeter of Krakow

There are a few others that sound vaguely familiar, like maybe I read them as a kid but don't remember them now. I don't remember "The Bronze Bow" very well, either, but I do remember that I started reading it out of a sense of duty (a favorite English teacher had it on a list of books every kid should read), and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

I read "Trumpeter of Krakow" as an adult and was charmed by the elegant writing. That might have been lost on me if I'd read it as a kid.

Thanks for drawing our attention to the list, Lisa!

message 8: by marie (new)

marie (marieduke) | 3 comments My list with *'s by my favorites:

The Tale of Despereaux*
A Single Shard
Bud, Not Buddy*
Holes*
Out of the Dust
The View From Saturday***
Walk Two Moons*
The Giver*
Maniac Magee
Number the Stars
Joyful noise: Poems for Two Voices***
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Dicey's Song
Jacob Have I Loved
Bridge to Terabithia
Julie of the Wolves
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Summer of the Swans
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
A Wrinkle in Time
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Johnny Tremain

Around Number the Stars I stopped starring my favorites, because I was getting a little star-happy.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 25 comments Mod
My complete list (both Award and Honor, counting only those I've read as an adult and therefore actually remember):

Holes
The Giver
Number The Stars
The Westing Game
Bridge To Terebithia
A Wrinkle In Time
Hoot (just started it yesterday)
Frog and Toad Together
The Cricket in Times Square
Charlotte's Web
Misty of Chincoteague

Wow, if I don't count the ones I read as a kid and no longer really remember, my list is pretty short. I'd better get on that! I did pick up a few while I was at the library yesterday (The Black Cauldron, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, and Hoot).

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 07, 2008 10:48PM) (new)

I've read:
The Cat Who Went to Heaven
Invincible Louisa
Caddie Woodlawn
Thimble Summer
Call It Courage
The Matchlock Gun
Johnny Tremain
The Strawberry Girl
Miss Hickory
The Door in the Wall
Ginger Pie
...And Now Miguel
Miracles on Maple Hill
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Island of the Blue Dolphins
A Wrinkle in Time
It's Like This, Cat
Up a Road Slowly
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
The High King
Summer of the Swans
M. C. Higgins, the Great
The Grey King
Bridge to Terabithia
The Westing Game
Jacob Have I Loved
Dicey's Song
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Sarah, Plain and Tall
The Whipping Boy
Number the Stars
Maniac Magee
Holes
The Higher Power of Lucky

Most of these were read around the age of 14 when I decided to work my way through the Newbery winners and a few years ago when I tried to do it again.

I really feel like the winners were the strongest in the 70s and early 80s, but obviously I need to give the newer winners more of a look.

message 11: by Kristen (last edited Mar 04, 2008 08:04AM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 29 comments I have not read many of the honor books, but I only have 15 left to read of the medal winners.
These are the ones I have not read yet.

Tales from silver lands
Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze
Dobry
Roller Skates
Daniel Boone
Adam of the Road
Secret of the Andes
The Wheel on the School
Carry on mr. Bowditch
A Wrinkle in Time
The Grey King
The Hero and the Crown
Maniac Magee
Shiloh
and
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

I need to re-read the Lloyd Alexander books though because I read them when I was a kid and can't remember the entire story.

message 12: by Kristine (last edited Apr 04, 2008 07:28PM) (new)

Kristine (kristine_a) | 140 comments Mod
you know, I just randomly found this group because I have a goal to read (and/or collect) all of the newbery medals. I've read more than this but these are only the ones I can remember (or have read) as an adult

The Higher Power of Lucky*
Bud, Not Buddy*
The Giver*
Maniac Magee
The Whipping Boy*
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Bridge to Terabithia
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
Call it Courage

message 13: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka | 1 comments I'm currenty reading The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle. My goal is also to read all the Newbery titles. I was at the ALA event last year and it was amazing!