THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Is it bad form to friend Giveaway entrants?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Cook (donnalcook) | 28 comments I joined Goodreads as a reader and kept my friends list small, limited to people I knew personally. Now that I'm published, I'd like to start expanding my friends list. Is it okay to friend Giveaway entrants? I know we're not supposed to email them or try to promote to them, and I get why. Do readers consider it pushy to friend them?

I'm new to this group and have enjoyed reading through several threads. Lots of good information here! :)

message 2: by Bryn (last edited Dec 29, 2012 08:06PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 42 comments I'd suggest not, Donna. Readers may find that pushy, as you say. It's too similiar to the things we're instructed not to do, such as message them.

Enjoy.

Update: in another thread, I was reminded of this in the Goodreads Guidelines for Authors. It's explicit about your question.

--I’d like to contact everyone who has added my book or a related work. Is that OK?

--It is not advisable to engage (via comments/messages/friend requests) all the people who add your book or a related work. You should also avoid tactics like thanking everyone who has added your book. These kinds of behaviors will result in people flagging you as a spammer, and we will have to take action. If you are flagged enough times, your profile will be evaluated for deletion.

This is the link to the Guidelines:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/guide...

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna Cook (donnalcook) | 28 comments Thank you Bryn! That's exactly the information I needed. :)

message 4: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 42 comments :) :)

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments I friend people who I have talked to and connected with. Friending strangers is just rude and imposing. There is no difference ftom real life to cyberspace. If you wouldn't contact a random stranger on the street, than don't do it here. Sorry if I'm being blunt.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna Cook (donnalcook) | 28 comments No, that's good Hannah. I agree. :)

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments :)

message 8: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jan 03, 2013 05:17AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Usually with giveaways, you'll see interested members deciding to follow you so your followers increase. Keep 'em with blog posts and new books.

I think the readers here at goodreads are too varied and use goodreads too many ways to say "do" or "don't" — but you risk alienating as many readers as you gain and in extreme cases finding you or your books on some lists, posts or shelves labelled for author behaviors.

Myself, I hate book self-promotion in my emails or goodreads messages. More than 50,000 indie books are added each month at goodreads and I do not want to hear about them or have them flooding in to make it difficult to read the mail I want.

I follow and/or fan authors I read or whose blogs or books sound interesting to me.

On friend requests I expect to have interacted with or posted in groups with people or I hit compare books to see if we have something in common. Whether or not an author has no bearing on accepting friend request (although if friended and then immediately self-promote I will flag the pm as spam, unfriend and block); authors are readers, too. Okay, I'm convinced the best auhors are very avid readers.

You can, without annoying people who entered your giveaway, follow their reviews if you like (not necessary just for your own books; you can see any reviews or group/ discussions mentioning your book on the book's page).