Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Questions & Debate > Where do you find out about books?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments HOW do you find the books you love?

Do you browse books in stores or online, like here or on Amazon? The library?

Do you go mostly with recommendations from friends? Or from book review blogs?

Do you pay attention to advertising?

Do you mainly look for big-name books?

Do you ever look for books by small presses or independently published books? And if so, how do you hunt them down?

I don't want your answers to focus on what appeals to you--I know that cover art is important and the genre and the back cover copy. I want to know how you DISCOVER new books to read.

Thanks so much!

message 2: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) | 11 comments I browse around here and on Amazon a bit, but usually I find stuff in my recommendations. And I notice books that catch my eye. If I like the cover, I'll read the blurb. If I like that a lot, I might get the sample or even buy the book.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Thanks, Jade!

message 4: by Leyla (last edited Dec 31, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Leyla (leylabello) Isn't it amazing how the book cover is what almost makes us read a book? It's book cover, title, and then reviews. I read magazines and the reviews, or if they are movies I try to look for the book, it is almost as if I would rather have the book than the DVD of a movie. Goodreads and Amazon are the ways how I discover books and People magazine!

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Thanks, Leyla!

message 6: by johanna, soliloquist. (new)

johanna (johannad_m) | 11500 comments Mod
*My friends recommend their favourite books to me

*I find a lot on Goodreads

*I search my favourite authors

*I use my library website to search genres etc.

*When I have nothing left on my to-read list, I take a trip to my local library and browse the shelves for interesting looking covers and cool summaries.

message 7: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) Uh, usually I find them from reading books and see a review for one of the author's other books on the beginning pages in the book or the back cover. Though sometimes I'll just look around the YA section at the library or browse new books online. And of course I get lots of recommendations from friends.

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Thanks, ya'll. I appreciate the feedback!

message 9: by johanna, soliloquist. (new)

^ Oh, I forgot that one - I've found some brilliant series' by looking on the back cover of books and seeing books by the same publisher.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2013 10:23PM) (new)

Goodreads, recommendations from friends and books.if i like a book i look for other books written by the same author.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't find books, they find me! xD they usually find me from recommendations on Goodreads or Tumblr. I also look around the bookstore shelves and read the excerpt, see if I'm interested. And recommendations from my friend, who always discover the best books.

Yes, I'm often interested in big-name books with good ratings, mostly because I don't want to be disappointed with books I bought. I assume if most of the people says it's good, at least it won't be that bad.

I don't hunt for books that aren't available in the bookstore unless I really want the book. In my country it's hard to find indie YA books in English!

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Dini wrote: "I don't find books, they find me! xD they usually find me from recommendations on Goodreads or Tumblr. I also look around the bookstore shelves and read the excerpt, see if I'm interested. And reco..."

Dini, can you not order from Amazon where you are? Lots of indie YA books available in English there. (Including mine ;).

Anyway, thanks for answering. I am seeing a lot of "friend recommendation" as ways readers find books--which is how I find most of mine, even as a writer!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I never order from Amazon, because the shipping is pretty expensive and my parents are pretty strict x) but maybe I'll try.

You're a writer? That's cool! I'm gonna check out your book...

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Ah, yeah, I didn't think about international shipping. That can be expensive. It's free through Amazon over here if you spent $25 or more.

Have you heard of The Book Depository? They have free shipping worldwide!

Link to my book on there: http://www.bookdepository.com/Finding...

They pretty much have everything Amazon has!

message 15: by johanna, soliloquist. (new)

Kat wrote: "Ah, yeah, I didn't think about international shipping. That can be expensive. It's free through Amazon over here if you spent $25 or more.

Have you heard of The Book Depository? They have free shi..."

That's where I buy all my books :) Go the Book Depository! :D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That's amazing! Thank you Kat and Hobbit and Proud!

message 17: by johanna, soliloquist. (new)

xD You're welcome ;)

message 18: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Dini wrote: "That's amazing! Thank you Kat and Hobbit and Proud!"

Glad to be of help :).

message 19: by TinaBean (new)

TinaBean (tinabean3) -Goodreads
-Recommendations from friends
-http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
-library

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I go with recommendations from friends, I do also check out Amazon. Goodreads, Author's Den and markets are a great way to look at books as well. The cover might attract me or the back page blurb ... these days there are many ways, including the libraries.
Good luck with it all.
Cheers and happy reading.

message 21: by S.Z. (new)

S.Z. Berg | 4 comments What an interesting discussion, Kat. Like you, I'm an author (as well as a reader!). It seems among authors, the conventional wisdom is that people find books through author blogs and book review blogs, but that's not what I'm reading here! I'll look forward to reading more responses and hearing back from those who have alrady responded.

message 22: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments S.Z. wrote: "What an interesting discussion, Kat. Like you, I'm an author (as well as a reader!). It seems among authors, the conventional wisdom is that people find books through author blogs and book review..."

Exactly! Authors are always talking to each other about marketing and such, which is one reason I asked this question. Before I started writing I read mostly based on suggestions from friends, and browsing the library, and so did most of my friends and their kids.

And I'm glad I asked!

message 23: by S.Z. (new)

S.Z. Berg | 4 comments I'm glad you asked, too!

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 22 comments I mostly pay attention the bestsellers on yahoo or what people are talking about on pinterest. I also look up the books by my favorite authors.

message 25: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Jessica wrote: "I mostly pay attention the bestsellers on yahoo or what people are talking about on pinterest. I also look up the books by my favorite authors."

Thanks, Jessica--you are the first to mention Pinterest :).

message 26: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 413 comments On my nook I browse the store and at my school I love going to the library and looking for books also if I go to Barnes and noble I look around

message 27: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Thanks, ya'll. Chantae, I'm glad to know school libraries are still great places to get books :). And Ann, you're the first one to mention ads in magazines--I was wondering if anyone paid attention to those.

message 28: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) I sometimes look around at the New section at my library, usually in the Teen or Kids section, I found quite a few good books from there. :)

Also I sometimes get recommendations on Goodreads.

message 29: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexlaird) Friend recommendations are very helpful when deciding what books to read; I don't think anything is more powerful than word of mouth. I browse through Goodreads quite often and find some good ones too.
A really great spot where I discover new books is Tumblr, although you have to watch out for spoilers. And just browsing through random books at the library.
Happy reading! :)

message 30: by Kat (new)

Kat Heckenbach (katheckenbach) | 16 comments Alex wrote: "Friend recommendations are very helpful when deciding what books to read; I don't think anything is more powerful than word of mouth. I browse through Goodreads quite often and find some good ones ..."

Thanks, Alex!

message 31: by Lade (new)

Lade Tawak (deaduramilade) | 269 comments goodreads and kobo recommendations, what my friends and group are reading. lists/sites I subscribe to.