Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Praying Circles around Your Children
Archived Group Reads 2013 > January - Praying Circles Around Your Children

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara (new)

Cara | 2 comments This looks like a great book--ordered one for myself, a copy for my siblings, and a copy for the ladies in my Moms in Prayer group.

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments I loved this quote from chapter 1.

“Prayer turns ordinary parents into prophets who shape the destinies of their children, grandchildren, and every generation that follows.”

This is so true! As I have prayed with a group of moms for years and over those years see the answers to our prayers, it is so amazing. What a beautiful thought that our prayers have impact for generations to come!

message 3: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loraine (librarydiva) | 2856 comments Mod
I found a used copy online and it is on it's way to me. Can't wait to start reading this.

message 4: by Robbie (last edited Jan 05, 2013 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robbie  (robbyefaye) | 3 comments I recently got this book but haven't started reading it yet. Since this is our BOMR I'll get it out and start reading.
I have fallen way behind on books to read as I keep getting more to read and review! (But I can't think of a better thing to happen as I love to read and it gives me a GREAT excuse to let everything else go!!!!!!!)

message 5: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have read Chapter 1 and will read Chapter 2 today. Was talking about this book with my daughter in law and she said her MOPS group is going to be reading it so my copy will go to her as soon as I finished. I really liked the 3 main points he made in Chapter 1 and look forward to reading more.

message 6: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodie wrote: "Chapter 2

Some of my favorite thoughts and quotes:

"Prayer is the way we take our hands off and place our children in the hands of God." - I loved this thought. So many times we want our kids to ..."

I keep a reading journal and I listed all of these quotes Jodie. They resonated with me as well even though I am in the "grandmother" role now it also still applies to adult children. Also had a couple other quotes I really liked:

"One prayer can change anything; one prayer can change everything."'

"Your prayers are prophecies. You can write the future of your family with your prayers."

"Not ASAP (as soon as possible) prayers but ALAT (as long as it takes) prayer. It's resolving in your heart to pray until the day you die."

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments I liked the ALAT concept as well Loraine. We always want the instant answer but God is always up to something in the waiting times. I am really enjoying this book- good choice Jodie!

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (thequiethomemaker) | 22 comments Just finished chapter one and there are a lot of great quotes in this book. I love that the author is funny :). My favorite is "While we're on the subject, the word diaper spelled backward is repaid." Oh my, who figures this stuff out!!! Love it!
I really like the though of past prayers still in effect today for us. I know that my husband prays for all of us each day. Knowing that those prayers will go on for generations is awesome :)

message 9: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy wrote: "Just finished chapter one and there are a lot of great quotes in this book. I love that the author is funny :). My favorite is "While we're on the subject, the word diaper spelled backward is repai..."

I thought the diaper quote was hilarious too!

message 10: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodie wrote: "Explanation of Circle Making:

I thought I'd add this in for anyone who wasn't sure of the whole idea of Circle Making. Here is the explanation from the book:

"Drawing prayer circles is a metaphor..."

Really like this. Think I will read The Circle Maker Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears by Mark Batterson when I finish this.

message 11: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodie wrote: "Some more favorite thoughts:

"May God raise up a generation of circle makers who will pray hard, pray bold, and pray through!" But, God needs us to pray for our children NOW, so they can grow into..."

I'm so glad this book is going to my daughter in law next who will be reading it with her church's MOPS group. They are just beginning with a 7 month old and they really want to raise him up to be a Godly man.

message 12: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodie wrote: "Have YOU prayed a bold prayer for your children? What was it? Have you seen it come to fruition yet?"

Yes - after a disastrous first marriage to the wrong young woman, I prayed that God would lead my son to exactly the right Christian woman for him. One year later, after consistent prayer, our son met our present daughter in law who is the perfect match for our son in every way I could possibly dream. She is also the best "daughter in heart" to me. God does answer prayers for our children in his timing and his way.

message 13: by Amy (last edited Jan 26, 2013 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (thequiethomemaker) | 22 comments This is a really great book. I have realized that not only do I need to pray more for my children, but for my husband as well. Loraine I am with you, I think The Circle Maker Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears by Mark Batterson is next :)