Lightning Lightning discussion

Why did Stefan have to end up with Laura?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Darren It's yet another example of Koontz trying to tie up everything into a neat little bundle. The story would have fared far better if she and Stefan never got together. Her heart belonged to Danny and she simply didn't fall in love with Stefan. After all, Stefan is a great character and a noble hero but he isn't really much of the man that Laura would go for, especially after ten years with the lovable, kind and charming Danny.

Danny's death was shocking and one of the best bits of the book but it would have resounded so much stronger if Stefan remained a tragic hero and in the end he never got the girl he changed time for. It was all a bit too easily and hastily mashed together that she would just fall in love with this guy. I know he did everything for her as her guardian angel but I just feel that sometimes Koontz has to wrap it all up far too nicely.

Naomi In my opnion, if Koontz could leave off the last chapter of a lot of his books and it they would end better.

Richard i have to say this is one of the worst books i have ever read, nothing about it rang even remotely true so koontz could have chucked in aliens and a pink giant spider at the end and it would have seemed no silier than it already was - damn book club making me read it

Darren Sandyboy wrote: "i have to say this is one of the worst books i have ever read, nothing about it rang even remotely true so koontz could have chucked in aliens and a pink giant spider at the end and it would have s..."

It's one of my very favourites. Apart from the stock ending, it had everything.

message 5: by Mickey (last edited Jan 06, 2013 09:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mickey Personally, I didn't have a problem with the relationship that developed between Laura and Stefan. I don't think it was portrayed as "The Big Romance" of the book. It was low-key. I don't think that Laura wearing widow's weeds and pining away would be in character for her. She's always bounced back and managed to enjoy life. Much of the book was a celebration of life despite its tragedies. It might have seemed abrupt because of how Koontz paced it, but I don't think it was disrespectful to Danny's memory.

Kristin McTiernan I also loved everything but the ending. It wasn't that Laura and Stefan got together that bothered me. It was the cursory way Koontz did it. "After three months he joined her in the bedroom." Why include it at all if you're just going glance over it? I'm with Naomi, the book would have been stronger if that last bit had just been left out entirely

Lola I completely agree. I thought the ending was strange! I could never see Laura and Stefan actually ending up together. Laura and Danny had such a sturdy, forever relationship and the fact that Stefan ended up with Laura in the end was kind of a slap in the face to Danny. I don’t know, it just felt like Koontz was on a deadline and didn’t know how else to wrap up the story.

Darren Lola wrote: "I completely agree. I thought the ending was strange! I could never see Laura and Stefan actually ending up together. Laura and Danny had such a sturdy, forever relationship and the fact that Ste..."

Agreed. It seemed like Koontz needed to reward Stefan for what he did. Laura seemed to leave behind the wonderful Danny really quickly. Stefan didn't deserve her. A more fitting end would have been to have Stefan go his own way.

Thurston the wonderful danny.......that was the most awkward relationship (danny/laura) i ever read.....didn't miss danny a bit

Randy Harmelink Sigh. The subject line of a discussion thread really shouldn't be a spoiler item that gives away the ending.

Darren Randy wrote: "Sigh. The subject line of a discussion thread really shouldn't be a spoiler item that gives away the ending."

If people are in here discussing the book, they've read it.

People always seem to look for a way to complain.

Randy Harmelink Darren wrote: "If people are in here discussing the book, they've read it."

But the subject line is also listed on the book page itself. So I don't even have to be HERE discussing it.

Would it have been so difficult to simply have a subject like, "I didn't care for the ending".

Darren Randy wrote: "Darren wrote: "If people are in here discussing the book, they've read it."

But the subject line is also listed on the book page itself. So I don't even have to be HERE discussing it.

Would it ha..."

No it wouldn't. What part of the multiple endings of the book would I be talking about?

Randy Harmelink Darren wrote: "What part of the multiple endings of the book would I be talking about?"

That's what the discussion would be for! Jeez.

At least then, someone will know the discussion is about a spoiler -- how the book ends -- instead of seeing the plot point in the subject line in a list of discussion topics.

As you said, "...if people are in here discussing the book...". Well, they're NOT in here when they see the subject line in the discussion topic list.

message 15: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick I actually saw this on my GR home page where it lists topics for books on my shelves. I don't know if it only lists for books I have completed (fortunately I had already finished this one).

As for the original topic I felt it was a cheap cop-out to just toss them together with so few words. Laura had so much going on in her head that jumping in the sack with Stefan just didn't fit for me.

Darren Rick wrote: "I actually saw this on my GR home page where it lists topics for books on my shelves. I don't know if it only lists for books I have completed (fortunately I had already finished this one).

As for..."

It was and still is one of my favourite books apart from that crow-barred in ending. It sort of made the entire Danny story seem pointless. Danny and Laura were half of the entire book, Danny ws full of love and life and that's why she fell in love with him. Stefan as pretty much a trained killer who had a turn of heart but not much else.

Remember, all the way through the book he is brutal and violent, to good ends but still, he is not the sort of man the character we met and watched grown into a woman would have fallen for.

Joseph DiFrancesco I have to re-read this book. It's one of my favorites by Koontz.

kerry ♥️ In my opinion, Stefan shouldn't have ended up with Laura. I feel like she never really loved him like that. The ending wasn't my favorite but I loved the intense storyline.

message 19: by Dtt (last edited Sep 11, 2014 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dtt I agree with Darren's original premise that Koontz has a predilection for tying all of his stories up into a "neat little bundle."

From what I have heard (and am willing to be corrected here if wrong), Koontz came from a broken home, and it is his desire to "correct" his past through his fiction that drives his need to end his novels with the emergence of a new nuclear family made up of broken parts.

I love Koontz's writing style, narrative flow, and ability to build tension -- but after reading a half dozen of his books, I realized that they all had an identical trajectory. At that point, I concluded that I had already basically read ALL of Koontz's books -- past, present, and future -- and gave up.

message 20: by Victor (new)

Victor B Darren wrote: "It's yet another example of Koontz trying to tie up everything into a neat little bundle. The story would have fared far better if she and Stefan never got together. Her heart belonged to Danny and..."

This is a bizarre post coming from a man (unless of course you are gay).

"Her heart belongs to Danny"

So her heart belongs to a DEAD man, therefore she must NEVER fall in love again. Are u serious?

And how on earth do you know she "never fell in love with Stefan?" She said right at the end WITH HER OWN MOUTH that she loves him!! And that was after coaxing him to make love to her!! That is called 'falling in love'.

"especially after ten years with the lovable, kind and charming Danny. "

Uh....Stefan was ALSO clearly a 'lovable, kind and charming' man, as you might have noticed if you weren't so hung up on your Danny.

message 21: by Victor (last edited Oct 06, 2018 10:57PM) (new)

Victor B Darren wrote: "Lola wrote: "I completely agree. I thought the ending was strange! I could never see Laura and Stefan actually ending up together. Laura and Danny had such a sturdy, forever relationship and the fa..."

"Stefan didn't deserve her."

After everything he did for her (and the entire world)?? Practically risking his own life so she could have a life many times over!! Are u for real??

If anything, it's actually the other way round: she hardly deserved the guy.