Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - General > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 3,440 (3440 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 68 69

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry (terrierpines) Hi! I am a 61 year old, mystery (not exclusively but primarily) reader from Southwestern Ontario,Canada. My favourites are John Sandford and, may he rest in peace, Robert Parker (Spenser). I "discovered" Goodreads a month ago when I realized I was ordering books I had already read from the Library and went looking for an app to keep track. Love it, even if the App seems a tad young adult specific (I do not want to see Twilight on a Must Read list ever again). Thanks for reading this!
Terry

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Ruetz (minerva451) | 17 comments Hi everybody! I'm Laura, and right now I am not working, but I'm looking for a job. In the meantime I am doing small writing jobs while I'm looking for a full time office type job.

I am passionate about animals and am involved in animal rescue and transport. I am working on overcoming a few health issues and as soon as my foot heals from surgery, will be working on my weight loss.

I love to read. I will read anything from the classics to horror. I was raised on science fiction, especially Ray Bradbury and Asimov but I love mysteries, fantasy, horror and fiction. I love short story anthologies as well.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Ruetz (minerva451) | 17 comments Jenni wrote: "Hi Laura. Hope you are healing well from surgery. :^) I too am starting a new job (contract) on the 7th of January after interviewing for about 3 months. Wish you all the best with your job hun..."

good luck on the new job! i am healing better, my toe is still healing slowly and still painful to the touch so i still can't wear shoes but my mouth is healing fine and I can eat most foods again so that is good news!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Ruetz (minerva451) | 17 comments Laura wrote: "Jenni wrote: "Hi Laura. Hope you are healing well from surgery. :^) I too am starting a new job (contract) on the 7th of January after interviewing for about 3 months. Wish you all the best wit..."

:) i also had a gum graft done about a week before christmas...that is healing much better than my toe! but everything is on the mend so can't ask for more than that!

message 5: by VickiLee (new)

VickiLee | 251 comments Greetings from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. I have lived my life as a compulsive reader of almost anything I can get my hands on. I do have a strong affection for mysteries and thrillers - the good ones tantalize the intellect and satisfy my need for suspense. I am a high school English and Creative Writing teacher and I love what I live. This group caught my attention just recently and I look forward to being part of the group.

message 6: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (hokiebird90) My name is Cassie and I live outside of Washington Dc in Virginia. Favorite authors are John Sanford, Michael Connelly, Lee Child. Always love discovering new authors. I love good fiction...from chick lit to some science fiction.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Weir I am Sandy and I am a dis-placed Hoosier who now lives with my dogs and others in the eastern Sierra... Carson City, NV, actually. I first got addicted to reading when I encountered Nancy Drew (et.al.) and DO enjoy occasional others (not mysteries always). Some of my favorite authors might be Elizabeth George, Deborah Crombie, Ann Cleaves, Erin Hart, Donna Leon, Magdalene Nabb, and Steig Larsson... I often like to pretend I'm in Europe, I guess. Moving closer home... Michael Connelly, Nevada Barr (early works).... and the Sherlock Holmes collection. Oh wait.... Very fav is Sarah Cauldwell (still can not guess the sex of narrator.... do YOU know?)

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (glamourass1) | -1 comments Hello all! I am a 32yr old freelance writer/blogger for a nutraceutical company. So I work when I want and I can work in my jammies if I please!
I've always dabbled in books but it wasn't until this summer when I read Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl" that I began reading every psychological thriller I can get my hands on.
I agree with Jenni as she stated above, I will not touch anything with a werewolf, vampire, or zombie.
My husband doesn't read books (I think he just needs to find one he would like) so I am here to discuss with others the fabulous books I have been devouring.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Ruetz (minerva451) | 17 comments Sandy wrote: "I am Sandy and I am a dis-placed Hoosier who now lives with my dogs and others in the eastern Sierra... Carson City, NV, actually. I first got addicted to reading when I encountered Nancy Drew (et...."

Sandy...you mentioned nancy drew - i still have my mom's entire set of all of the nancy drew books in my attic; i loved those too as a little girl!

message 10: by Terry (new)

Terry (terrierpines) Laura, Be careful! I read that the reason one cannot find the original Nancy Drew's (say 1 - 30) is that there was considerable lead in the paper. It explains why, when I searched on eBay, I found none of the early ones that I wanted to reread, nor does our Library have them. Amazing, huh? Lead... Turns up everywhere in the 50s, I guess.

Terry

message 11: by VickiLee (new)

VickiLee | 251 comments Jenni wrote: "Hi Vicki,

I think you are lucky to be a teacher of literature and writing. I have a question about writing in the past participle. Could you help me if I email you? (Or I could post the quest..."

Any time! Although I must warn you, as a writer I tend to ignore rules and construct my own. But, if I don't know the answer to a grammar question, I am certain one of our group will know the answer. Happy New Year!

message 12: by Craig (new)

Craig Turner (craigwturner) | 3 comments Happy New Year from Western New York! For my day job I handle government relations for our regional chamber of commerce - in my "free" time (I have four children), I am an author and avid reader. Have published my crime novel set in Niagara Falls, and am a huge fan of Elmore Leonard, who thankfully announced just yesterday that he intends to continue writing.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
- Craig

message 13: by James (new)

James Hankins Hi, all - I'm still pretty new to GR and, I'll be honest, I still get a bit lost. It's really exciting to find such a variety of groups and discussions, but finding the best fits -- and remembering where I've been -- is still a challenge. I'm finding my way, though.

That said, I'm James Hankins and besides being an avid reader, I write thrillers. Recently published my first three as e-books (available on major sellers' sites). They are (1) BROTHERS AND BONES (which I'm thrilled to report just earned a starred review from Kirkus Reviews) (2) DRAWN; and (3) JACK OF SPADES.

Jenni - I saw you advise Craig to post the covers to his books on the "Fiction: Author Promotions . . ." thread but, sadly, I can't even find it.

Anyway, looking forward to connecting with readers and other authors, and to finding new books to read.

Best,
James

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ledford (deborahjledford) | 7 comments Wishing everyone here wonderful reads in 2013. So pleased that I found this group! My suspense novels take place in the Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. The latest, CRESCENDO, will be released February 19th. Looking forward to following reads and recommendations here.
Deborah J. Ledford
Snare
Staccato

message 15: by James (new)

James Hankins Thanks so much, Jenni!

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Weir Laura wrote: "Sandy wrote: "I am Sandy and I am a dis-placed Hoosier who now lives with my dogs and others in the eastern Sierra... Carson City, NV, actually. I first got addicted to reading when I encountered N..."

Oh... How lucky you are! Keep them with care (not sure if better to display and warp in tissue! I wish I had a few or the ones I read...

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Ruetz (minerva451) | 17 comments Terry wrote: "Laura, Be careful! I read that the reason one cannot find the original Nancy Drew's (say 1 - 30) is that there was considerable lead in the paper. It explains why, when I searched on eBay, I found..."

oh wow. i had not heard that! they were my mom's and then i got them. they are in a box though so i think they are safe!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Ruetz (minerva451) | 17 comments Jenni wrote: "I love animals too like Laura - cats, dogs, horses ... My chosen charities for donations and, when I have the time, voluntary work are the RSPCA and CATS aminal charities. I have seen an advert on..."

i have always loved animals. when i was working i donated monthly to several smaller rescues and have not been able to lately but i share shelter animals and fosters on facebook and will help transport animals if an animal is coming through my area.

message 19: by Craig (new)

Craig Turner (craigwturner) | 3 comments Jenni wrote: "Hi Craig, Do put down the covers of your books on the "Fiction: Author Promotions ..." thread. We check there regularly for interesting reads."

I haven't yet... Admittedly I have some learning to do about Goodreads!

message 20: by Craig (new)

Craig Turner (craigwturner) | 3 comments Craig wrote: "Jenni wrote: "Hi Craig, Do put down the covers of your books on the "Fiction: Author Promotions ..." thread. We check there regularly for interesting reads."

I haven't yet... Admittedly I have s..."

Thanks, Jenni... I've put my novel up on the promo page. Looking forward to this group's discussions!

message 21: by Terry (new)

Terry (terrierpines) Congrats, Leigh!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Ruetz (minerva451) | 17 comments Ah! A fellow Californian! Hello Leigh!

message 23: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Sexton (mlsexton) Hi! I'm a 24 year old mystery, thriller, suspense writer who reins from the lone star state in th city of Houston. My favorite author is Nora Roberts and I love her In Death series. I have published 3 books, two suspense thrillers, and one is a collection of short story crimes. I am published on Amazon and Smashwords and they all run .99. I would love to get feedback on them if any of you don't mind. Here are the two websites: amazon.com/author/moniquasexton and https://www.smashwords.com/profile/vi... Enjoy!

message 24: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Hi everybody. Leigh Anne here, I thought I should tell you a few things about my self. I love mysteries, but will pretty much read anything BUT westerns. I love listening to music and I live in the Los Angeles area. I have have three fuzzy children of the feline variety. I am a librarian but currently unemployed(yuck!).

message 25: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Yes they area high but right now we REALLY need the cash. Real estate is still in the toilet and unemployment is still VERY high. Taxes in UK area even higher aren't they?

message 26: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments It has been rather cool here in LA lately. It was 63F 17C (looked it up) here today and tonight it will get get down to 38F(3C). I had to turn on the pilot light on my heater for the first time. I don't have any scarves. I have a pea-coat, which I had to dig out of my closet.

message 27: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. (amberjade11) Hello everyone!

My name is Amber J. Boyd (or AJ) and I am a 33 y/o Medical Biller who like everyone else in Michigan is trying to find work.

I have always been an avid reader, and I was named for the book "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Winsor. My favorite genres are True Crime and Mystery/Suspense, my new favorite author is Gillian Flynn. I love all books though and have to even admit, though shamefully, I even liked the Fifty Shades series......

I look forward to being part of the group, this looks like a great group!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I'm an avid mystery reader and have a newly published mystery ebook. On this site, my pen name is Elizabeth Rose (because of my book), but my real name is Jackie. My favorite mystery authors are M.C. Beaton, Joanne Fluke, Miranda Bliss, and the incomparable Agatha Christie. Although I have never read the Spenser series by Robert Parker (as mentioned upthread), I am interested to. My late cat and Mr. Parker's character were both named after Edmund Spenser, so I've always been curious. Our current cat is quite a handful and could've been named Dickens, but I named him Peanut. :)

message 29: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments Hi, I'm Jim. Im from cold and snowy Upstate New York. I enjoy mysteries that require some thought by the reader. I follow Baldacci, Connelly, C.J.Box, along with many others.

message 30: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments To be honest, I have only read one mystery novel written by a woman. I was standing in the library yesterday looking at the row of Patricia Cornwell books, when my wife suggested that I try one. I quietly ( since it was a library ) said - maybe later. Then I walked over and picked out "The Last Minute" by Jeff Abbott. So as much as I would like to deny a little sexist biased, I guess the truth is that I don't associate crime mysteries with women authors.

I watch the Mentalist and Bones all the time so I know that women play lead characters in criminal mystery dramas, but it is what it is.

message 31: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments I'll do that.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I'm Michael from Melbourne, Australia. I love our local writers like Jane Clifton and Kerry Greenwood. Kerry's Phryne Fisher murder mysteries have been adapted to television so I get a taste of Melbourne in the early 1900's. Looking forward to some good reads.

message 33: by Casey (new)

Casey | 3 comments Hi, I'm Casey and have been a lifelong reader. I love books of all kinds but always come back to a good mystery! I just recently read 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn and loved it. Looking forward to some good suggestions of what to read next - always like to have a book ready to go!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

how do I nominate?

message 35: by Rob (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:53AM) (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) Hi all
I live in Bristol UK and am pleased to say I am also now a moderator within the group and I look forward to starting some interesting threads and joining in lots of reviews, meeting lots of new faces and hopefully making some great friendships. I am an avid reader of crime/mystery/horror/bio indeed anything really that someone cares to recommend but those are my favourite genre's. Possibly my fav book of all time is Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3) by Michael Robotham but I am an avid fan of R J Ellory and if you have not read any of his books then you don't know what you are missing :)) In particular I loved A Quiet Belief In Angels by R.J. Ellory
the writing and emotion takes you to another level. I live in Bristol UK and am married to Sands and have 3 daughters...aged 26, 23...and 15!! god help me...the two youngest still live at home and as I have little say as to what happens in an all female house...I read a lot....do you blame me! The eldest is getting married this year so there's lots of excitement!! I work at the local magistrates court...so as you can see I am very close to crime in my day job, which I enjoy. I am a keen cyclist, and use it as my main means of transport, I am a member of a local running club and take part in numerous half marathons throughout the year...so good to meet you all :)

message 36: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments Hi, I like to thank Jenni for giving me the opportunity to be one of the moderators of the group. Even though I am just a recent member of the group, I've found the topics to be inciteful and the members to be engaged and very interactive.

I enjoy reading and while I'd like to say that I'm an avid writer, the truth is that writing is an art that involves a talent to be able to put more than two words in a row on a piece of paper. What I hope to add to the group is an incite of authors and novels from the perspective of the snow covered and frozen Upstate Central New York.

As for what I enjoy besides reading, I spend hours swimming each week, I work out at cycling and though I can't pound the pavement running, I'm frequently out on long walks.

Again thanks for the opportunity.

Jim

message 37: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments Surprisingly, that is the truth. It was the heart of the abolitionist movement prior to the Civil War, the home of the Women's Suffrage movement, and at one time the stop off for many famous entertainers including Dick Clark and one of the founders of the group Boston, not to mention Joe Bonamassa, who has played in your Royal Albert Hall with Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton.

message 38: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) Jim we have a little in common, I am an everyday cyclist and a keen runner...although those old knees are starting to play up now but I still love the feeling of competing the odd half marathon...my next one is on the link below!
http://www.hogweedtrotters.co.uk/hill...
this particular one is hell but fantasic!

message 39: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments Trev, that is quite a run. I get in two miles of swimming everyday at lunch. I generally, hop in the water at noon, put my head down and don't stop until I get to around 4,000 to 4,300 yards an hour later. The last time I worked at running I developed a stress fracture, so I figured that getting on the bike and drowning myself in the pool would work out better for me. I did enjoy the running and was able to turn out miles at around a 6 minute pace.

message 40: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments I own a non-ferrous foundry and it keeps me busy. My father told me when I was in college and so much smarter than him not to go into the business, now 36 full time years later. I finally learned that he was right.

message 41: by Sean (new)

Sean Peters | -177 comments Hi,

I am a mad film and book buff, I wrote a film reference book in the 80's called Films Stars, Past and Future. I love a wide range of authors, and have quite a collection to read this year, including Lee Childs, David Baldacci, Harlan Coben, Linwwod Barkley, Chris Ryan, James Patterson, Karin Slaughter, tess Gerritsen and Kathy Reichs. I have a web site with a collection of my favourite book, films and music as well as signed photographs which I collect.
www.thestarsphotos.com

regards to everyone

A Good Thriller

PS I live in Jersey in the Channel Islands

message 42: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments Hi Sean, welcome. Thanks for the names of the authors, several are new to me and Kathy Reichs is the basis for my favorite TV series Bones.

message 43: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 21 comments Hi - I'm an avid science fiction and mystery fan - books, movies, and television - and also author of the same.

message 44: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 21 comments Thanks, Jenni. Dr. Phil D'Amato, a forensic detective with the NYPD, is the hero of three of my novels, beginning with The Silk Code. They're science fictional police procedurals.

Isaac Asimov was a master at this hybrid genre - his robot novels were equal measure science fiction and police procedural.

message 45: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) Paul wrote: "Hi - I'm an avid science fiction and mystery fan - books, movies, and television - and also author of the same."

Paul that's an interesting genre and every now and again I try to widen my reading experience by reading something different and outside my norm..I read and discovered recently The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike and was blown away by it
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
could you recommend anything along similar lines?

message 46: by Garbageman (last edited Jan 06, 2013 01:51PM) (new)

Garbageman | 46 comments Welcome Paul, it's been a while since I've read exclusively science fiction, but after reading your bio, I'll give it a try. I'll also be on the look out for you on O'Reilly. I do remember reading, when I was in grammar school, The Martian Chronicles and being scared to death the first time that I saw Forbidden Planet.

Jim

message 47: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 21 comments Thanks, Jim.

Forbidden Planet is not only a classic, but the template for Star Trek.

Mystery and science fiction can differ by just one word - who done it and what done it ...

message 48: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 21 comments Hi Trev - along similar Russians in space lines, but not horror, I'd recommend Red Moon - A Novel by David Michaels. It's a barely known novel, but a masterpiece, in my opinion - and is much a thriller as science fiction.

message 49: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 21 comments PS to Jim - apropos Bones - I've reviewed almost every episode of the past few seasons - one of my favorite TV shows, too - http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/sear...

message 50: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) Paul wrote: "Hi Trev - along similar Russians in space lines, but not horror, I'd recommend Red Moon - A Novel by David Michaels. It's a barely known novel, but a masterpiece, in my opinion - and is much a thr..."

Paul...that looks a superb book and just ordered a copy on amazon...I can't wait to start reading...thanks for the recommendation :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 68 69
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.