Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) Blood Red Road discussion

the writing

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I still have to read this, what's wrong with the writing and how is it slang-ish?

Eugenia (Genie In A Book) Yep - I've read it and it did annoy me to a certain point. I guess though that it reflects the level of society that the characters live in. Also, the lack of quotation marks also made the book seem very informal.

Sarah Beth All the "bad grammar" and "slang" was just the author's way of communicating how her characters spoke. She refers to it as "Saba's voice." I think it added greatly to the story/novel, and without it, it wouldn't feel the same. At first, I had to adjust, but after the first chapter, I was used to it, and it read easy. Please don't let it stop you from enjoying this exciting book!

Courtney I absolutely hated it. I got 50 pages in and was so annoyed with the grammar and lack of any punctuation that I had to quit. If I have to struggle to try to puzzle out what the author was trying to convey, it's not worth my time reading. A third grader could have written better.

Nas Sarah wrote: "All the "bad grammar" and "slang" was just the author's way of communicating how her characters spoke. She refers to it as "Saba's voice." I think it added greatly to the story/novel, and without i..."

yeah i totally agree with what your saying, it really added to the book in so many ways for me. It felt like i could hear saba talking directly to me. The way its written reflects alot about Saba, like the way she has be brought up, what kind of community she is open to- it gives you a feel for her and her world straight way. loved it!

Olivia Tate I loved the writing! I thought it was interesting and gave a scary outlook on the world to a point where people don't even know how to read! I also though it gave a good outlook on what can happen without an education.

message 7: by Samira (last edited Jan 09, 2013 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samira It was annoying and the characters seemed dumb. They spoke with kind of a cowboy accent or something

Sarah Beth daydreamer wrote: "Sarah wrote: "All the "bad grammar" and "slang" was just the author's way of communicating how her characters spoke. She refers to it as "Saba's voice." I think it added greatly to the story/novel,..."

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who understood and enjoyed it! :D

Isabella I actually liked how that was done, even though it was a bit hard to get used to in the first place. I guess that it showed kinda the priorities in that society are quite different from what they are now. I found that it made it more interesting.

message 10: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison so i get it that they are very southern charcters. but really the grammar kills me

Keiley The reason for the "Slang" is to accurately portray the way that Saba thinks, feels and speaks. She isn't exactly an educated young woman, so I doubt spelling is high on her priority list. I personally think it adds to the charm of the book, it helps us get into Saba's head and understand that this is a world where things like a proper education is just not an option.

Itong Mararac The writing has a southern style to it. It's the character's way of talking I guess. I liked it, and it made me understand and like Saba.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

yes, its like that in every copy of the book...its meant to pull you in and help you to get right into Saba's own mind and world, which it certainly does. I didn't like it at first but then I realized that the book would be nothing close to good without it