The Sword and Laser discussion

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)
This topic is about A Feast for Crows
George R.R. Martin Threads > Does anybody else get confused, or am I just crazy?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments This week I started A Feast for Crows and was immediately thrown for a loop.

"Who are these people?!"

I'm should clarify that: 1) I'm not complaining about changing point of view characters. I know GRRM does that to keep readers on their toes; 2) I'm also not complaining about the story or characters (which are wonderfully rich).

I just can't keep the names and places straight. Am I suppose to have to consult the ASOIAF Wiki constantly? I constantly get the feeling that certain passages should be more powerful, but I just can't remember who the characters are. Their names, sure; but who they are (in relation to others/what we've already seen them do).

Do you have to do this, or do I just suck at remembering names?

Tina (javabird) | 693 comments Well, I seem to recall in one interview with GRRM that even he gets confused sometimes keeping track of everything. He said his fans have emailed him to correct him on a point that didn't match with something in earlier books. :)

message 3: by Robert C. Adams (last edited Jan 27, 2013 02:51PM) (new)

Robert C. Adams (robertcadams) | 15 comments You're not crazy. It is confusing.

I really like the series but at some point I decided to start speed reading all the stuff with new characters who don't really matter or are introduced just to make something happen.

Maybe it's Martin's TV background bleeding through with "Guest Stars" being written in every episode. I just fast forward to the parts I like and those parts are really good and they seem to be the main storylines anyway.

terpkristin | 4144 comments It is confusing. That's why there are a few apps (one from HBO, one from a fan...I love the fan one)...and probably countless websites to help you keep it straight. :)

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Gilbert | 6 comments Worth noting is that GRRM typically starts and ends his books with random nobodies who generally die horribly in service to the plot.

Also worth mentioning is that Feast for Crows was particularly complicated in this manner. Hopefully it will all come together in the end.

message 6: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 105 comments Well, being into Malazan series, I pretty much know how you feel about getting lost in char list and Song is even more complicated, characters wise. It's perfectly normal with series like that one.
Then again, I haven't read the series nor I intend to for the time being so I guess I wouldn't know, would I ? :-)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check out those apps.

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I get confused too. I have the wiki bookmarked on my phone for reference. It was a problem for one part in A Storm of Swords (view spoiler).

J. Alberto (dhiok) | 71 comments Dara wrote: "I get confused too. I have the wiki bookmarked on my phone for reference. It was a problem for one part in A Storm of Swords [spoilers removed]."

I read that part so fast and I was so upset that I did not notice. To me (view spoiler)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments Yeah, Martin will just assume you know who he's talking about when given only a few physical traits.

message 11: by Dara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Jesús wrote: "Dara wrote: "I get confused too. I have the wiki bookmarked on my phone for reference. It was a problem for one part in A Storm of Swords [spoilers removed]."

I read that part so fast and I was so..."

I was so shocked that I missed it.

Lillian | 1 comments Since there are so many characters to keep up with, what I do is leave post it notes (with about a quarter of an inch peaking out of the book) on the page of the character with a brief history. It helps me keep track, especially with this book since there are new POVs.