2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Stranger
This topic is about The Stranger
ARCHIVE 2013 > Kai & Kelsi: The Stranger by Albert Camus

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kai (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kai (uchinaguchi) We will be reading The Stranger this month.

message 2: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I love Camus. Maybe I'll reread this one with the two of you. I didn't like it as much as The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays or The Plague, but maybe I need to give it another shot.

message 3: by Kai (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kai (uchinaguchi) I have never read any Camus before this so I would welcome any additional commentary.

Nathan (nthnlwly) I read this in high school and wasn't a fan, but it was high school, so that doesn't mean much! lol. I may join in the discussion sometime this month - I'm interested to see what you guys think!

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Yessss! I'll be checking it out once I get back to school!

message 6: by Kai (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kai (uchinaguchi) Does anyone have a preferred translator for Camus? Or do you find there isn't much difference.

Nathan (nthnlwly) Kai wrote: "Does anyone have a preferred translator for Camus? Or do you find there isn't much difference."

In high school, we read the version which is at the top of this page.
When I later bought the book (got to love used book stores!) I bought this version: The Outsider by Albert Camus . I never read it though, so I can't be sure if there's much difference.

Ashley I will read this with you as well. I'm sorry if I didn't see this on the buddy read thread to make you one, but I'm glad you did! :)

Toni | 234 comments I just read this in December so I will follow along with your discussion as you progress through the book, if that is OK.

Ashley I started this yesterday, and find it is a pretty quick read. I will have it completed today. So far, it is good in spots and boring in spots and I find it just an ok decent book. The first chapter was the worst...it dragged, but I forced myself to continue. Thankfully, it got better. Part 2 is definitely better than Part 1 since this is where the climax occurs. As of right now, it is a solid 3 star book for me.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I picked up my copy at Half Priced Books this past week. I wasn't going to buy it, but then figured since it's French, philosophical and is raved about by friends, it will probably be a keeper. Plan on starting it this evening.

Nathan (nthnlwly) Are you reading it in French, Kelsi?

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I wish! I probably could, but it's been a while, and I would need the help of a translator. The language was definitely simple enough. I only own one book in French and it is Le Petit Prince, and I read it at least once a year because it is so powerful.

I only mentioned the French thing, because I tend to be obsessed with France anything. I lived there for a summer.

BUT I just finished this book, and loved it! I really enjoyed the character's struggle with the justice system and his inability as the condemned to be granted the right to speak. The philosophical points regarding human judgement made this book for me. My review is in my Challenge corner. I intend on posting it here at the end of the month!