You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Meg's Mission - Low Octane Challenge - Authors' Last Names

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg Here we go - looking forward to this -

Alexie, Sherman - The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Bohjalin, Chris - Secrets of Eden
Cunningham, Michael - The Hours
Durrow, Heidi - The Girl Who Fell from the Sky
Erdich, Louise - The Round House
Fadiman, Anne - The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures
Gilbert, Elizabeth - Eat, Pray, Love
Henson, D.B. - Deed to Death: A Novel
Isaacson, Walter - Steve Jobs
Jerome, Jerome K. - Three Men in a Boat
Kallos, Stephanie - Broken for You
Lee, Harper - To Kill a Mockingbird
McCarthy, Cormac - The Road
Nemirovsky, Irene - Suite Française
O'Nan, Stewart - Emily, Alone
Peters, Elizabeth - Crocodile on the Sandbank
Quinn, Spencer - Dog on It
Ritter, Lawrence - The Glory of Their Times : The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
Sheehan, Jaqueline - Lost & Found
Tan, Amy - The Opposite of Fate: Memories of a Writing Life
Urrea, Luis Alberto - Into the Beautiful North
Vowell, Sarah - Unfamiliar Fishes
Wiles, Will - Care of Wooden Floors
Xiaolong, Qiu - Death of a Red Heroine
Young, Moira - Blood Red Road
Zusak, Markus - Underdogs

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I'm so glad you are jumping in and signing up for the challenge. I recognize several of your titles. I think you'll enjoy your choices.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg Thanks - I'm really excited - read about 20-25 books in 2012 so this is a gray next step for me.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg Great next step :-)

message 5: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Meg, your books look wonderful, have heard good things about several of them.

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg Not one team particularly, but I generally root for the National League, and enjoy attending minor league games where we live. I loved the Ken Burns series on baseball and how he linked it with American history, so am wondering if this book will do the same type of thing. Also - my husband loves baseball and is doing the challenge as well so we're both going to read this one.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg Pragya wrote: "Meg, your books look wonderful, have heard good things about several of them."
Thanks - I'm looking forward to many of them - others will be the "challenging" part!

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg Judy wrote: "Who is your husband? I think that is wonderful that you are doing the challenge as a couple!

That does sound like a fun read if the book does take the approach of American history through the eye..."

He's not on GR, but reads a lot - much more than I do! It will be fun to see how we progress through this - one of his books is over 1200 pp. long!

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments Judy wrote: "That is wonderful that you share reading as a common interest. He does sound motivated to tackle a 1200 pager! :-)"

When I get around to creating a match.com profile (if ever), I will put "Must read!" LOL!

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I think I'll have to be specific and say that newspapers and magazines don't count. "Must read books at least 200 pages long - fiction or nonfiction." LOL!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Would you want your match partner to have the same or different taste in books? His & hers book shelves, or do you risk the book you want being under his side of the bed?

Good on Meg & hubby being in on it together - I take it you're reading different books? otherwise that'd be a bit of a bun fight to see who gets it first.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments Helen wrote: "Would you want your match partner to have the same or different taste in books? His & hers book shelves, or do you risk the book you want being under his side of the bed?

Good on Meg & hubby bein..."

I'd like to be able to share and discuss books with a partner.

message 13: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16831 comments Judy wrote: "Does that security guard at the library read on the job? ;-)"

heh was just thinking that.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments LOL! I haven't been to the library this month! Maybe I should go check things out. :)

message 15: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Janice wrote: "LOL! I haven't been to the library this month! Maybe I should go check things out. :)"

How did that happen? *gasp*

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments *hangs head* I don't know. :(

message 17: by Meg (new)

Meg Finished my first book today - thanks to a 5 hour car trip. Start with "B" tomorrow.

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg Finished B and on to C - Bohjalin's Secrets of Eden was not very good at all. Really bad when I can guess the ending a quarter of the way into the book.

message 19: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I love the title of your challenge (alliteration works really well)!
Your list of books is fantastic! I see some real winners here. Anne Fadiman's book is great. The Hours is a wonderful book, and nothing compares with To Kill a Mockingbird!

Happy Reading!

message 20: by Meg (new)

Meg Have changed a couple books, but have made it to my E book and should start on F this weekend. At this rate I may get to a second round of reading!