! YA Heroines ! discussion

Book Stuff > What you look for in a book

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments For me -- A books is a bit like a burger. Yes, I make weird comparisons!

You have your buns ~ world building, background, etc.
Then your salads (lettuce,tomato,...vegetables)~ your amazing plot.
Followed by your yummy bits (patty, chicken, etc.) ~ The characters.
With sauces ~ Twists and turns in the plot.
And don't forget seasoning (which can do wonders to a burger/book)~ Originality.

Well thats a really poor comparison but you get the gist.

The world building needs to be convincing! If there are unicorns, how come there are unicorns * ? Plausible explanations need to be given. And with any book it needs a sprinkle of originality.

If a book does not have a good plot, it will fall flat on it face (ummm cover).

The characters are also very important.
Who wants a protagonist who isn't likeable? Usually authors (in my case) do this OK but what authors do tend to do is make 2 dimensional characters who don't change or grow but just stay with their usual 'face'. They don't show other sides of themselves. It's quite sad.

I am a sucker for 'hate then love romances' and historical fantasy. So basically any book with thoose two criteria are pretty high on my LOVE list. Yes I am completely unbiased biased!

* Yep, I take pride in using unicorn references!

State your opinion and share your ideas :)

XxXx

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Jenny has a way with words.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2466 comments Lol you two make me smile

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I agree with everything that Chelsea and Jenny mentioned. Almost.

I love reading paranormal, fantasy, and dystopia too, but I am a huge fan of contemporary. I understand how some people with boring lives would want to dive into another world with much more interesting events, since I am one of those with a really boring life (outside of my reading, of course). However, I love reading contemporaries, especially realistic fiction, as much as all the others. They are more relatable and they deal more with societal issues (race, bullying, drugs, growing up, recoveries from tragedies).

I love books that I can learn from (which is probably why I love contemporaries so much: the best ones important lessons in them). That's why I love reading stories set in different countries and cultures. Those places and things are foreign to me, and reading is one of the only ways I can learn about them.

One of things I look for most in a book is a flawed character. I can't learn from those who are perfect, and if there's flaws, then the character (be it the protagonist, or minor/major ones) has more room to grow.

I also have a thing for hate-then-love romances. There's usually more humor and sarcasm (one of the best things ever), and of course, there's more growth.

That's all I have for now, but I'll probably think of more another time.

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments 'Cause we are awesome like that!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2466 comments I like reading books that are far away from reality but could be possible if that makes sense to anyone

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments It does, I know what you mean!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2466 comments Exactly

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments :)

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Jenny has such a way with words.

message 11: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments The feeling is mutual!

message 12: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments What? :)

message 13: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments LOL hahaha! I actually snorted! (very unladylike by the way)