Chicks On Lit discussion

Project Night Night *updated with picture link*

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Mar 18, 2009 03:20PM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Reminder I will be sending out a box of your books the end of this month. All books that I receive by the last friday of March will go out in this shipment. If you need my address please PM me and I will get it to you.
Thanks,
T~
Link to Thread explaining Project Night Night

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison | 20 comments I just got some books tonight. I will send it out in the next few days. will you be sending shipments every month or is it just for March?

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Every month for the next year.

message 4: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
BTT
Remember if you want your books to go out with this months shipment I will be sending it off in about 12 more days.

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli I've got two books to send you this week Tera....my nephew gave them to me....he picked them out of his books so I hope they work.

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Tomorrow our first shipment of books go out to Project Night Night. Ill take pictures to share with you and want to thank those that got books to me this month.

If you didn't get them here in time no worries. I will be sending a package out each month for the next year.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli I sent mine out priority yesterday Tera so it will get there tomorrow I believe they said. I'm so sorry its late...I thought my boyfriend had mailed it for me, but you know how that goes. I shouldn't think apparently! LOL

message 8: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle My books won't make it to you by this Friday so I will have to send them this weekend for April. Sorry I can't seem to fit anymore activities into my 60 hour DAYS lol! Alos, Holli, I am sending your book to you tomorrow (Saturday) just to give you a rough idea to be expecting it.

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks so much Rachelle...I really appreciate it :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm recooping after a bff's baby shower & another friends baby arrival this month so I'm going to send you books in April or May - I've got them on layaway!

message 11: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
No worries I will be doing this all year.

I just got back from the post office.

8 books
4lbs 5 oz

Ill post pictures on my blog soon. The postman thought I was nuts taking pictures of a box.

message 12: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Yeah Thanks for doing that Tera!!! :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera, lol! Vic thinks I'm nuts for some of the pics I take too (which are usually for my blog)! Remember, I get free UPS shipping every 2-3 months so I can do a mailing of books every so often so you don't have to pay to send them all the time.

message 14: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Here is a link to the pictures on my blog. Link to Pics

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments I want to send you some books!

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlllucas) | 12 comments Tera - I have some books that I would love to send you!

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Send me a PM and Ill send you my address. Ill be doing another mailing the end of this month.
Holli I'm not sure if i told you I got your books :)

message 18: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Have you seen all the cute stuffed little chicks out there this time of year? I just about bought a couple little guys yesterday but I have to stick to my budget but they are soooo cute. The bunnies too but the chicks are just special! ;)

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli Wonderful Tera....glad they made it :)

message 20: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
FYI I will be sending another package out the last friday of this month.

message 21: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) Dear Tera,

I truly wish I could assist you. You know as a librarian (and the wife of a cop) this holds dear to my heart. Unfortunately, I have 16 grandchildren who are the recipients of my children's/YA books. In addition, I have a daughter in the Peace Corps in Azerbaijan who now is looking for me to put together books for her youth development program.

Tera, when I lived in Alaska we did the same type of project -- putting books and stuffies into the trucks of every Alaska State Trooper. I cannot tell you how often my husband would come home and enjoy telling my daughters (with tears in his eyes) about how he helped a child that day and gave them the books/stuffies. The number of times he had to deal with abused children and/or those exposed to violence was all too often. My daughters loved gathering their friends to renew the Troopers' supplies every so often. To this day, my daughters are truly givers from the heart.

One night, we were out and ran upon an accident. Gary, naturally got out to help and there was a child involved. I sat with the child. Gary came up behind me and handed me a stuffie (our youngest daughter's favorite term). As I handed the child the stuffie, I explained that my daughters' loved their stuffies and found they helped them through the roughest times. As the EMTs worked, the child stopped crying and talked to me. Later, we visited the child in the hospital.

So I applaud all of you and want you to know that you will never know how much this means. Such a small gift can mean so much.

message 22: by Holli (new)

Holli What a beautiful story Lydia and thank you SOOO much for sharing that with us......

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments That was an awesome story Lydia. Thank you for telling us.

message 24: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Tera wrote: "FYI I will be sending another package out the last friday of this month."

How do I go about sending books to you?

message 25: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Lydia wrote: "Dear Tera,

I truly wish I could assist you. You know as a librarian (and the wife of a cop) this holds dear to my heart. Unfortunately, I have 16 grandchildren who are the recipients of my child..."

Wow thanks for sharing that Lydia. Great stories like that will really help us to push on with this project through the year.

Rose PM me and I will send you my address and whenever youd like through the year send books in new or like new condition or stuffed animals to my address. I send of a package once a month (last friday of the month)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's amazing Lydia. Thank you for sharing!

message 27: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I received two boxes recently but it was only the first initial and last name. I don't want to post peoples last names for privacy reasons but I will say I got a box from A and from L so thanks :)

message 28: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I think the L was me. Last name really long, starts with a B?

message 29: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
YES!!

message 30: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Ok, glad to know that it got there. And in pretty good time too!

message 31: by Angie (new)

Angie The A was me I'd say - in Ohio? House number 4409?

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments My big book sale is tomorrow and I'm hoping to find some fun kids books in good condition there for this. Can't wait to start participating!

Elizabeth (Alaska) My husband *made* me stop with him at the local independent bookstore this afternoon. They were having an "everything on this table $2.50" sale. I wasn't able to find anything for myself - they primarily serve the tourists that pass through here in hordes - but there were a number of very nice children's books. I picked up several, and, as we were chatting at checkout, the owner told me to come back late next week when she plans on giving away anything not yet sold. Project Night Night be prepared!

message 34: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'm a goober. I thought the 30th was this Friday. So I will be sending the books off tomorrow. Turns out to be a good thing I just got a package from Rose and from Marsha.
Thanks chicks! Ill post the totals tomorrow for how much we sent this month.
It's much more than last month I can tell you that.
T~

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments It's so great you're doing this Tera. I really want to make a small quilt, I have some great fabric for it. May have to wait until my daughter's dorm quilt is done tho. But it shouldn't take long once I start it! (I love small quilts.)

message 36: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I havent posted it up on my blog yet but I will later today. I sent off books last week and here are the totals....
2 lbs 14 oz of Stuffed Animals
19 lbs and 1.6 oz of books!!!
Yay chicks!!!

message 37: by Holli (new)

Holli That is amazing!!!! Keep it up everyone :)

message 38: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 06, 2009 09:04AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Tera, I will get another box into the mail to you soon. My independent bookstore donated books to our project and I have a HUGE box. All new books, some hard backs, some paperbacks, with a wide age variety.

message 39: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) I feel honored to belong to such an amazing group of ladies. :D

In my shipment I included English/Spanish books. Please do not overlook the need for these books as well, thanks.

message 40: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Hey Tera - I definitely want to send some books for this awesome project. I left a post on the original thread regarding this, but wasn't sure if that was the right place to leave a post about wanting to join in with this project. So, I am posting now. Anyhow, I was just wondering, can I include some YA books, like the Sisterhood of Traveling pants books? Or is it strictly children's books?

by the by, congrats to you and all the chicks helping out with this cool project. I love the idea of providing children with books - I am always trying to get my younger cousins to read, but they prefer their DS or Wii. oh well, I suppose not everyone is a bookworm.

message 41: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
The site asks for books from childrens to preteen. But I think there are some preteens out there that would like Traveling pants sort of books. I know when I was 11 and 12 I was certainly not reading Ramona the Pest any longer.

message 42: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Thanks Tera! I'll see what I can send to you for this project. I used to read Christopher Pike books when I was 11. I loved those books:)

message 43: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I got April's pictures and stats up. May's are on my other camera I will get them up asap.

message 44: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I've also posted some video about PNN on my facebook page. Really great to see it in action.