UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Archive > Self challenge 2013: Kew's back list

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

I didn't think that I could come up with a new challenge this year, but just as I was updating my read shelf with a book that I finished today, I noticed that I had bought the book in 2011!

So that is my challenge! Read some of the earliest books on my goodreads TBR list. If anyone is interested, you can find my To Read shelf on my profile.

I have already completed my first book in my new challenge!

Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6) by M.C. Beaton bought 6 Aug 2011

Now I'm reading Agatha Raisin & the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7) by M.C. Beaton bought 31 Oct 2011

:0)

message 2: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Yay Karen !

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments oooo what a great idea

*steals it*

i keep clicking on books and they tell me i bought them ages ago... i really should do similar thing to you...

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Kath wrote: "oooo what a great idea

*steals it*

i keep clicking on books and they tell me i bought them ages ago... i really should do similar thing to you..."

Go ahead and steal it Kath! We can cheer each other on and slap wrists if we read too much new stuff! (I reserve the right to read some new stuff, but will try to read more old stuff...)

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments thanks :)
i may do something like
3 off the back list then 1 new
or something
i don't like rules !!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:33PM) (new)

Kath wrote: "thanks :)
i may do something like
3 off the back list then 1 new
or something
i don't like rules !!!"

Neither do I - it adds pressure and would make me not want to read the old stuff at all! I sometimes find that problem with book club reads - I may want to read it but because I feel that I must read it and by a certain time, I suddenly don't feel like reading it any more... daft really!

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments totally agree, i think with me it is a hang up from eng lit at school - being made to read books i hated and having to have the same opinion as my teacher forced on me about them... i am getting better about it, over time...

message 8: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Sounds like a plan... I will allow you to do it so long as you can fit my new book in when it comes out next year!!! ;-P

message 9: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine  | 4585 comments I've still got books from 2010,will have to try and read them this year.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Lorraine wrote: "I've still got books from 2010,will have to try and read them this year."

I probably have too! But I only made a goodreads list of books that I definately want to read and books by "our" authors, I didn't put on all the stuff that I used to download "just-in-case", there's prob some that I've forgotten about too as I'd had my kindle for about a year already when I made the goodreads list...

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I can't think of a challenge to do for 2013, I'll probably just keep count on the Goodreads challenge.

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Go Kareeeeeeeeen!

Ha. Ye I was pretty embarrassed when I checked how many books I 'bought' at the first and haven't read. I think the first one I read was like the 45th book I bought. Oops.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Update (and it's not 2013 til tomorrow, so I've got a good start!)

I've now finished
Agatha Raisin & the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7) by M.C. Beaton bought 31st October 2011
Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8) by M.C. Beaton bought 31st October 2011

Now I've had a look through Manage my Kindle on amazon and downloaded a few books that I bought in 2010 when I first got my kindle! There is a mixture of mystery, romance and historical - so I'll pick out what I'm in the mood for reading next.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments What a great challenge Karen!

I'd steal it too but I'm too lazy to go through my books to see when I bought them...

message 15: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments It is a great challenge!

I won't be able to really start any of mine until the 12th :(

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm getting on well, last night I finished

Dancing In The Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2) by RaeAnne Thayne bought 31st January 2011

Now I'm reading
Invisible (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #1) by Lorena McCourtney bought 28th January 2011

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 04, 2013 02:50PM) (new)

I'm getting on well with my challenge, but I didn't really enjoy the last two books that I read - Dancing in the Moonlight and Invisible.

I'm now reading
Deed to Death A Novel by D.B. Henson bought 23rd November 2010
So far I am enjoying this much more than the previous two books which I had read. I've been interested to read this as I do remember hearing that the author was signed up by a publisher. I started reading it when I first bought it, but didn't get into it at the time - so I'm glad to catch up with it again now.

message 18: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Get the good with the bad unfortunately.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Now I'm reading

Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels

Bought 28th January 2011

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11196 comments I read that last month, as part of my catch up challenge, it was ok

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments saw this and thought of you
i know it's DTBs but maybe worth a look as great value
sorry for posting it here - but seemed the best place to guarantee you saw it

:)

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Kath!

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 07, 2013 12:35PM) (new)

Now I've finished

The Big Five-OH! by Sandra D. Bricker
bought 13th July 2011

I enjoyed it to start with but the story really dragged after a while. Having a bit of a break now to read some things that I've bought more recently.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

The expensive book was free when I downloaded it! I choaked when I saw what they are charging for it now - deffo not worth that much!!

Dancing in the moonlight was on kindle when I got it (freebie again) but it's since been withdrawn..

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh Deed to Death is available on kindle, but it's a different edition to the one that I bought - I bought it when the author was indie but not long after they were signed up by a publisher.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deed-to-Death...

Thanks for doing the links, Elle.

message 27: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "The expensive book was free when I downloaded it! I choaked when I saw what they are charging for it now - deffo not worth that much!!

Dancing in the moonlight was on kindle when I got it (freebie..."

I apparently downloaded it when it was free too but have since deleted it!

message 28: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments & no problem :D

message 29: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I'm taking a leaf out of your book Kew. I'm going to try to read as many of the paid books I haven't read as possible. Starting with the most expensive Charles Dickens: A Life. Although I downloaded a star trek book for Gareth at £4.99 I'm not really interested so might leave it out, will give it a try at least.

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I have quite the same problem Jud. I have a pile of expensive paid books on my Kindle that aren't for me! they get in the way!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished another book which I first downloaded in 2011 - I'd forgotten about it actually as I hadn't added it to my goodreads shelf, but it was free again the other day so when I clicked on it to download, found that I'd already had it for over a year!!

The Secret World of Fluffy Ratbag by David Hoyle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-World-...

Downloaded 9 December 2011

message 32: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "Just finished another book which I first downloaded in 2011 - I'd forgotten about it actually as I hadn't added it to my goodreads shelf, but it was free again the other day so when I clicked on it..."

Tee Hee!

Naughty Kew!!!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Reading Cabal at the mo which I bought way back in Jan 2011 from the first Twelve days of Kindle sale that amazon did.

I did try to read it at the time but couldn't get into it as I didn't warm to Zen or the other characters. I'm now about 40% in and glad that I tried again because the story has got very interesting and intriguing. I'm still not that keen on Zen though so I don't know yet if I will read any more..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabal-Zen-ebo...

message 34: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Zen... is a chilled out kinda person??? Sorry I couldn't help myself!!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

*groans*

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 26, 2013 02:51PM) (new)

I'm having some light relief with my challenge now.

I'm dipping in and out of
Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze? And 114 Other Questions by New Scientist
Bought 26th December 2010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Penguins...

I'm also going to read a couple of children's classics
Winnie The Pooh by A.A. Milne
Which was one of the first books which I downloaded to my kindle as a freebie on 13th September 2010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winnie-the-Po...

and
The Wombles by Elisabeth Beresford
Which I bought 1st August 2011
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wombles-e...

I read the Wombles as a child, but have never read Winnie the Pooh all the way through! As a child I loved the Disney film but never read the books!

message 37: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I'm jealous you have Winnie the Pooh :o(

message 38: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I'm jealous you have Winnie the Pooh :o(

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't believe that it was free too! I remember it being in the top 100 for ages when I first got my kindle..

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I freaking adored the Wombles as a child, I wasn't aware they were on the Kindle!!!!!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep - I've linked to the one that I am reading, from there you will find several other womble books available..

message 42: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I doubt Winnie the Pooh will ever go free again :o(

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm dipping in and out of the Wombles at the mo, find I can only enjoy reading one story at a time..

I've just finished reading another book which I downloaded in 2011.

Lonely Millionaire by Carol Grace
17th November 2011
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonely-Millio...

message 44: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "I'm dipping in and out of the Wombles at the mo, find I can only enjoy reading one story at a time..

I've just finished reading another book which I downloaded in 2011.

[bookcover:Lonely Milliona..."

Dipping in and out of the wombles...what a bizarre image. I should look at some of the older unread books too. There are a few on my other challenges so hopefully I can get through a few this year.

message 45: by Jay-me (Janet) (last edited Feb 12, 2013 02:38PM) (new)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I'm thinking I should do this too, as well as my "series" challenge - try to read (or delete !!!) as many books that I downloaded (either free or paid for) that have been on my TBR lists for 12 months.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

It does feel good,Janet - to clear some of the backlog! I haven't updated this recently because I have been reading some books downloaded in 2012 - but many of those were a year ago..

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Going through the books listed on Manage Your Kindle, I have made a list of books that I haven't read from 2011. Some of them will stay unread I think, some are part of series that are being dealt with under my other challenge, but I am left with 25 possible reads.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good, Janet.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "Sounds good, Janet.

:0)"

Now to think of a name for the challenge ;)

message 50: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "Karen (Kew) wrote: "Sounds good, Janet.

:0)"

Now to think of a name for the challenge ;)"

'25 possible reads' sounds quite catchy to me!!!

« previous 1