Blogger Lift discussion

Help: Blogging 101 > Is it okay not to finish a book?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patricia (Night Readings) (nightreadings) | 5 comments I've been struggling with this question for a while.
I'm fairly new to book review blogging, but I've already received a couple of requests from authors who want me to review their books. The thing is that some of the books that I receive just aren't very good and I frankly have a hard time getting myself to finish some of them. What do you guys do when you are in the same boat? Do you stop reading or continue on, even though the book is bad?

A little advice would be much appreciated. :)

message 2: by Sophia (last edited Dec 28, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (hannahsophialin) | 329 comments I usually go into skim mode when that happens, so at least I'll know what's going on yet I get it over with; fast.
I kinda had to do that with the 1st 2 books of a series I recently read but when I read the next one, at least I had a brief idea of what was going on :3

But I guess that's just me :p

Patricia (Night Readings) (nightreadings) | 5 comments ❄ Sophia wrote: "I usually go into skim mode when that happens, so at least I'll know what's going on yet I get it over with; fast.
I kinda had to do that with the 1st 2 books of a series I recently read but when I..."

Thanks for the advice :)
I don't want to let the author down by not reading their book when I have accepted a review request, so I guess skim mode it is.

message 4: by Sab (last edited Dec 28, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Sab (sabbygee) I'm new too but I also skim through the pages once I get the feeling that I'm not so into the book. I really try to finish everything even if I didn't like them because I really want to write a constructive review of it as much as possible. I don't know, I just feel like somehow even if my review is just one of many reviews, it could possibly help out the next JK Rowling or something. LOL I'm being all cheesy with this. But yeah that's my take on it. :)

VampireNovelFan | 3 comments I tend to skim myself but only if I make it to 50%. Otherwise If nothing's going on by 33%, I
call it quits.

message 6: by Listra (new)

Listra (museforsaken) | 1 comments Well, there are times when I don't like a book right in the middle of it and I just stop reading it. I am very sorry to say this, but there are books that annoy me so much I don't even want to finish it. Books like that are rare, but they exist. In that case I just close the book and return or resell it.

message 7: by Beckie (new)

Beckie (chikittie) | 10 comments I used to do the same but it's better to be honest and stop reading then force yourself and end up giving the authors book a bad review.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 5 comments Patricia (Night Readings) wrote: "I've been struggling with this question for a while.
I'm fairly new to book review blogging, but I've already received a couple of requests from authors who want me to review their books. The thing..."

I ran into that problem once, I was not liking the book at all, it was dredging up bad memories for me... and I knew I would be forcing myself to finish and would give it a low rating. I contacted the author, and told them what was going on. They allowed me 'permission' to step away from the book, and not review it. Often if you are honest with them, but like with a break-up try to use the, 'it's not you, it's me' thing. Just being honest in a polite way works wonders

Patricia (Night Readings) (nightreadings) | 5 comments Thanks for all the great advice!

message 10: by Faye, la Patata (new)

Faye, la Patata (fayemat) | 1 comments I'd stop and review it anyway, justifying why I didn't continue. Some people say that you don't have the right to review if you did not finish it, but I disagree - a did-not-finish review is still a valid review. Why would I want to punish myself by reading a bad book and one that I don't clearly enjoy? Just justify why you couldn't finish it, and who knows, maybe you'll spare a reader with the same pet peeves from experiencing it, too.

Patricia (Night Readings) (nightreadings) | 5 comments Faye wrote: "I'd stop and review it anyway, justifying why I didn't continue. Some people say that you don't have the right to review if you did not finish it, but I disagree - a did-not-finish review is still ..."

I can see where you are coming from. I sometimes feel like "Why waste time on a horrible book when there are so many other books to read?"

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 5 comments I still wrote a review on my DNF explaining why it didn't work for me, but I did not rate it with stars

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) While many some may disagree, I think the reasons people put down a book/don't want to read a book are just as critical and relevant as the reasons behind what makes a book so great, and I say this as both a writer and a reviewer. If there's something THAT BAD about one of my books that 80% of the people reading it don't want to finish, I should probably know about it--and the readers certainly should!

message 14: by Redd (new)

Redd Kaiman (reddkaiman) | 12 comments I guess you could skim it, or maybe tell said person it's hard to finish.

My webcomic (updated Thursdays): http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/2013/0...

message 15: by Amy, ~Bookworm Lift~ (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 207 comments Mod
Nenia wrote: "If there's something THAT BAD about one of my books that 80% of the people reading it don't want to finish, I should probably know about it--and the readers certainly should!"

I agree with this 100%. I would want them to know... Before posting reviews mail the author your thoughts & rating... If they are happy for you to review it potentially badly on your blog then that's their choice. But if not at least they still have feedback that you ended up skimming it.
If you don't already have this on your Review Policy add which genres you read etc.- it may not be because its bad but because you haven't specified your tastes. This is it I'd say at least 25% of the time!

message 16: by Kay (new)

Kay When that happens to me I skim through the pages like 5% then read, if it was still boring I skim 5% more then read and if it was still boring I quit.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat Mellon (katmellon) | 2 comments I think it's totally OK. Don't torture yourself over a bad book. Just email the author back and let them know why you couldn't finish it. Refraining from promoting or discussing the book on your blog will be just as (if not more) effective than turning it into an issue as far as warning readers goes!