Melabeth the Vampire Melabeth the Vampire question

Is grammar as important as the story itself?
E.B. Hood E.B. Dec 28, 2012 05:13AM
I think it would be the story, because grammar can be repaired a lot easier than a bad story.

It depends on how the story is being told. If the character in the story is doing the talking and he or she speaks with poor grammar then that is how it should be written.

This question implies an acceptance of inferior craftsmanship in the production of a book that I find unacceptable. You should accept bad grammar in a published work with the same equanimity (or lack thereof) that you would accept rotten cheese on a pizza. There is no excuse for producing a sub-standard product. I may not like your story, but if I find incompetence in technique I will advise my colleagues to look elsewhere to find someone that cares about their workmanship.

M 25x33
Rob Robert, I am not saying that Melabeth has poor grammar, I was just responding to the question in general. I am not a writer just a reader who saw no f ...more
Feb 04, 2014 07:48AM · flag

By saying bad grammar do you mean unintentional mistakes? I now read most books via my Kindle and have found that lots of the books have more mistakes or typo's in them than proper books ever had.It's like they didn't get the final proof read they should have had. I'm sorry to say that "Melabeth" was one of those books and "Melabeth,I am sin" was even worse.I am only using these books as examples because they were books that I've read recently, and it did take the edge off what was an excellent story line.It annoys me like crazy. Deliberately written bad grammar, like a characters choice of words or phrases helps to build and shape them in your mind and is necessary to the flow of the story.

E.B. Hood I asked this question sometime ago. It was based on an argument about (me and my friend went to the store VS, my friend and I.) I felt that sense this ...more
Mar 07, 2014 01:31PM · flag

That's true, but sometimes the bad grammar may take away from what the reader can get out of the story.

indeed, EB Hood