World Without End (Kingsbridge, #2) World Without End question

Would the storyline have been affected if Ralph were removed?
Meryl Meryl Dec 28, 2012 02:03AM
It would have given me a better impression of the author.

No I think he is essential to the story. This is one of my favorite books and made for many great conversations as we read it.

Darien (last edited Jun 29, 2013 09:23PM ) Jun 29, 2013 09:15PM   0 votes
Ralph and Merthin are the few decendants of Tom Builder from Pillars, I feel that their contrasting relationship is sort of representative of the idiom 'too tall a tower will inevitablly fall'.

Giving complete appreciation to the titles of the original 'Pillars of the Earth', concerning that Tom was considered one among many staple figureheads in the microcosm of a well-functioning society, as well as 'World Without End', insinuating that although these staples are vital, it's obvious that they can't stand forever.

This theme appears rather blatant throughout the second novel, most prominently with the original King's Bridge being brought down from it's foundations in just the two centuries between the original Builder, and his decendants.

So yes, I see Ralph as a completely vital and possibly even main focal point for an underlying theme throught the majority of the novel.

I enjoyed reading it, Ralph was an interesting character.

He was perhaps one of the most accurately portrayed character of those times (Ambitious man who gains power). I felt that some of the other characters were a bit too modern in their thinking and actions.

Kerry (last edited Apr 13, 2013 01:51PM ) Apr 13, 2013 01:49PM   0 votes
I've been watching World Without End miniseries on Netflix. They made an effort to expand the movers and sociopath shakers. Petranilla (Godwin's mother) is quick to kill on her son's behalf, the series also follows young Henry III's royal interests more closely. He also has the ambitious mother. Roland has a more cold calculating role. Ralph has a reduced presence.

Kerry I have the ending to watch yet but I also enjoyed the casting. Gwenda was too good looking, she was about sheer single-minded determination.

http://www
...more
May 01, 2013 04:40PM · flag
Sandra I was extremely disappointed in both of the mini-series, Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. The books were fantastic! They are both among my ...more
Jul 10, 2013 10:02PM · flag

Yes, but for the worse. Ralph was one of the more interesting characters and there did need to be a villain outside of the Church.

Ralph is the villain of the book, it would be a different story and different plot lines without him.

No. Ralph adds so much to the story. He's a rich character

I think Ralph did not need to live as long as he did. He got to live a full life and tormented way too many people.

Yes, he adds a lot of extra twists and brings Gwenda more into the story.

I think Ralph had his place all along the novel as the villain. The part I think is too much here is the letter history, it appears only at the first and last chapter and it hardly affects the story itself. The kids could have met any other way and the story would keep its course without any change. I feel that it is a pretty bad McGuffin to this novel.

deleted member Jan 20, 2014 06:09PM   0 votes
Ralph is sort of a villain in this novel and plays an interesting role. Even though he's a character you hate, he makes for a good story :)

Well he is worth the twist and unexpectedness of the book i think. Though he is too sadistic, he is one interesting character with wicked psychology