THE Group for Authors! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Discussion > Added my book, but author incorrectly assigned

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:20AM) (new)

Michelle Cameron (michellecameron) | 6 comments Hi everyone,

I joined goodreads on the advice of a friend to claim my author profile, although now I'm loving the ability to rate books :)

However, I tried to claim my book (published on Amazon) and wasn't able to so I applied to join the librarian program. This morning I noticed I could add a book so I added mine, and after saving the details I noticed my book has been incorrectly assigned to another Michelle Cameron.

My book title is CV & Resume 2013, co-authored by myself and María Martín Solís. How do I fix this so that I can correctly maintain my book and track reviews?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Have a great day everyone, Michelle xo

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann Talbot | 1 comments Yes, assigning the wrong books to authors of the same name is a problem. Is there an easy way to fix it? I can't see one at the moment.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments Your books need to be added under the name:
Michelle^^Cameron (where ^=space). We use spaces to disambiguate authors with the same name.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

You will need to use this link to claim your author profile:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/confi...

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cameron (michellecameron) | 6 comments Thanks Paula, I've started the process of claiming my author profile now :-))

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) All goodreads members can add books. And authors do not have to join librarian program in order to have librarian status on their own books. As soon as author profile is claimed, you have librarian access to your own.

With the holidays, you may see a delay in getting your author profile claimed.

I clicked your name and on your profile it doesn't say you were made a librarian yet. (Doesn't mean you will or won't be; may just be staff holiday schedule delaying).

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:23AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Link to author program information: http://www.goodreads.com/author/program

Link to librarian manual: http://www.goodreads.com/librarian_ma...

If you are interested in being a librarian (and not just in editing your own books) , after digesting the manual, I'd suggest lurking in librarian threads for specific tasks to see how specific tasks are done (for example, tasks like disambiguating authors with same names, combining editions, making alternate cover editions, etc.) then start doing when you are comfortable with the process (can also check librarian log to see what was done). There are always new requests but also some ongoing things needing help like the book titles "unknown title ###" and book author "unknown author ####" entries amazon created by pulling their data (ongoing and illegal to use amazon or other bookseller sites as data source). Sporadically, goodreads staff/employee and head librarian Rivka will post a thread saying "these will need a lot of help" that are also likely to be ongoing. When in doubt, details shown on book cover are a legitimate source (unlike amazon). Plenty of work; but, I have no idea if post-holiday goodreads will be adding librarians or not.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cameron (michellecameron) | 6 comments Thanks Debbie, I actually would enjoy doing some librarian work, after all it makes it easier to find books if the information is accurate :)

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Walker (ruthewalker) | 7 comments I have a similar problem. My book has been added twice; once with my name Ruth E. Walker and once with the name Ruth Walker. There are reviews at both sites. How can I bring the two books and reviews together under one book profile? I publish as Ruth E. Walker and I don't know how it has been posted twice like this? Guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!Ruth E. Walker

message 9: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:33PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I'm not finding duplicate copies of Living Underground if that's your book.

Your author profile/name is Ruth^E.^^Walker (where ^ is a space). Good to remember when adding books.

The Nothing But Red: The Anthology Inspired by the Death of Du'a Khalil book goes to the other author's profile or do you have a story in that anthology and I need to correct author name on that book?

Any other books missing from your author profile?

Please post over in librarian group any remaining book specific issues as someone will be on line there...I'm signing off.

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Walker (ruthewalker) | 7 comments Thanks Debbie. Someone must have fixed it. I have a poem in Nothing But Red, so yes, that is me on the contributors' list. I should show as a Goodreads author now.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) The Nothing But Red anthology should show on your page now.

message 12: by R.W. (new)

R.W. Harris | 2 comments Hey there, I have a similar problem. I claimed my author profile using an old book on here that is no longer available. I then tried adding my new book Nasus Reklaw & the Never Ending Orange Grove to my author profile, only to discover that it went on to another R.W.Harris's profile.so How do I correct this so that I have just the new book on my profile.
Thanks

message 13: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments R.W., I moved the book for you. For future reference, when manually adding a book, keep in mind that you are R.W.-2space-Harris. Just add an extra space before your last name, and the book should go where it belongs. (The extra space is only visible on the edit page, but keep your books separate from those of author authors with the same name.)

message 14: by R.W. (new)

R.W. Harris | 2 comments Nice one, Thank you Rivka. Could I be a pain and ask you to remove or delete the other book The Future of Evolution from my profile as it is no longer available.

Thanks again.

Ryan

message 15: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Goodreads does not delete or remove out of print works. See http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/22... and http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/32...

message 16: by James (new)

James Batchelor (jamesbatchelor) | 2 comments I'm having the same problem. I just added my new book, The Knights Mourning, and it was added under a different James Batchelor. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the additional spaces being used to distinguish between authors of the same name until reading this page. May I get some assistance in correcting this? This is the second book in a series following The Knights Dawning which is correctly assigned to my author page.

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments Moved, you have two spaces between your names

message 18: by James (new)

James Batchelor (jamesbatchelor) | 2 comments Paula wrote: "Moved, you have two spaces between your names"

Thank you for your help, Paula. I appreciate it.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Theobald | 1 comments Hello. Yes, I'm having this problem. Looks like my book was added twice with two different ISBNs. The one with the correct ISBN has gotten fewer reviews, so I would hate to lose the data from the one that's incorrect. The correct ISBN is 9781988355030. thank so much for your help!

message 20: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Hi Laura. I've gone ahead and removed the duplicate edition. For future reference, all requests regarding book edits should be posted in our Librarians Group – one of our wonderful volunteer librarians will be able to help.

I'm closing this thread so that all future edit queries will be redirected to the group linked above.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.