THE Group for Authors! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allan (new)

Allan Ashinoff (allanjashinoff) | 8 comments I'd be interested in understanding what this is as well. The neverending aspect of marketing makes this idea more than a little appealing.

message 2: by Alesha (new)

Alesha Escobar | 21 comments I hope this is a helpful explanation.

A blog tour is basically when you make stops at several participating blogs that will host you in order to give you and your book(s) exposure (you might do an author interview, submit a guest post, do a book giveaway, etc.). You can also use your own blog as one of the participating blogs and coordinate with other blogs for the tour.

Last year I participated in The Sun Stopped Shining Blog Tour where for a few days (I think it was Dec. 26-31) I hosted certain contests, some flash fiction, and even an "Armageddon Recipe Contest" at my blog. Participating readers & authors would drop by during those days and leave comments and play the contests (people would visit 5-10 of our blogs ea. per day).

Some of the benefits are:

The networking and friendships that have developed w/ other authors. Several of them I am still in contact with, and whenever I see them promoting their work, I help (and vice versa)! We give each other advice, tips, etc. It's like running into an old college buddy :)

Exposure. After the blog tour, my author blog really took off, and I STILL get hits on my site because of it (especially since the whole Dec. 21, 2012 thing).

Also, the backlinks from the other blogs will help your blog/website's page ranking, as well as give you another chance of exposure (I have had people contact me b/c they saw my name and blog url at another author's site that they frequent).

There are some paid services out there that will set up and coordinate a blog tour for you. The one I participated in was free and a collaborative effort w/ other indie authors.

All right, this post is getting a little long, but I hope this helped!

message 3: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments Thanks, Alesha, for your explanation. I, too, am ignorant about blog tours. It's a bit scary for me because I don't know quite what would be expected and if it's something I could do. Nevertheless I'd be interested in participating if someone wants to set up a free blog tour.

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments Yes, thanks, Alesha. That helps. I've seen a couple being advertised in some groups I've joined.

Does anyone think it helpful to tour on sites that are in your genre or be more widespread?

Is an interveiw enough or are the contests and extras a real plus?

Also, if any others have done this did it increase traffic significently?

message 5: by Alesha (new)

Alesha Escobar | 21 comments Gloria wrote: "Thanks, Alesha, for your explanation. I, too, am ignorant about blog tours. It's a bit scary for me because I don't know quite what would be expected and if it's something I could do. Neverthele..."

You're welcome :) It's a bit nerve wracking at first, but then you get the hang of it, and the other authors usually are supportive.

I'm actually putting together a blog tour for fantasy/paranormal authors who have books with female protagonists. I'm not sure if that's your genre, but you're welcome to join!

the tour's home page: http://www.heroinestour.blogspot.com

my email: aleshaescobar3@gmail.com

message 6: by Alesha (new)

Alesha Escobar | 21 comments Steven wrote: "Yes, thanks, Alesha. That helps. I've seen a couple being advertised in some groups I've joined.

Does anyone think it helpful to tour on sites that are in your genre or be more widespread?

Is an ..."

I think it helps the most to do a blog tour that focuses on your genre (but this is just my personal opinion). Interviews and guest posts are great, the contests and giveaways are pluses!

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments Thanks, Alesha,

I appreciate you taking the time with us newbies.

message 8: by Alesha (new)

Alesha Escobar | 21 comments Steven wrote: "Thanks, Alesha,

I appreciate you taking the time with us newbies."

You're welcome!

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Walker (ruthewalker) | 7 comments You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in progress and then you tag 5 other authors to answer the same questions. And they tag 5 others. And so on.

It's useful in several ways. NBT posts by those 5 you tagged will have a link back to you with their thanks. So you increase traffic and exposure from their readers. And it connects you with other writers that you tag -- consider asking at least one writer you don't know well to join you in the chain. It can expand your network. And, it helps you look at your work in progress in a different way. I'm starting a rewrite so the 10 questions gave me some great insights.

Finally, it indirectly exposes your current book that you're marketing while directly exposes you as a serious writer who has another ms in progress. If anyone wants to check it out, I'll post a link here to my NBT post.

message 10: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments Yeah, I'd like to check it out.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela207) | 15 comments Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in progress and then you tag 5 other authors to answer the sa..."

Yes, I would be interested in this as well. Thank you!!

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Walker (ruthewalker) | 7 comments Thanks Gloria and Angela. I'm happy to post the link here and if you have any other questions, just let me know. The entry on the top is the one to follow. Good luck to you both and if you end up doing this, drop me a line and I'll send out a tweet with a link to each of your NBT posts. Cheers! http://ruthewalker.ca/weblog/

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) I too am interestd in the NBT I have been tagged by Laura Susan Johnson
Laura Susan Johnson

and I could with 5 authors to tag if anyone is interested?

Also thanks Alesha, that explanation helps alot. Does anyone know if there is a forum on GR for the advertisement of blog tours?

message 14: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Angela wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in progress and then you tag 5 other authors to ..."

Hi Angela i am getting my blog for the Next big thing ready for this weekend and would love to tag you in it if that's ok?

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Gloria wrote: "Yeah, I'd like to check it out."

Hi Gloria, i love to tage you aswell if you'd like. I think that will take me up to 4 so if anyone knows a 5th who would liek to be tagged, let me know.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela207) | 15 comments L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in progress and then you tag 5 ot..."

Yes, that would be absolutely alright. This is all very new to me, so I am still trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the help. :-)

message 17: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 1 comments If any of you write LGBTQIA Young Adult lit and are interested in participating in The Next Big Thing Blog Hop, I'm looking for three additional authors to tag on 1/23 for their post to be on 1/30.
Cody~

message 18: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments Hi, L.M.,
Well, gulp, I don't know whether to run, wailing in fear, or take the plunge. I g-g-guess, I'll take the plunge and see how well I can swim. OK, tag me. Let's see where this goes.

message 19: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Gloria wrote: "Hi, L.M.,
Well, gulp, I don't know whether to run, wailing in fear, or take the plunge. I g-g-guess, I'll take the plunge and see how well I can swim. OK, tag me. Let's see where this goes."

That's great, that means I have four, could really do with a 5th if anyone knows anyone or can recommend?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

That's great, that means I have four, could really do with a 5th if anyone knows anyone or can recommend?

L.M. - you're welcome to tag me.

message 21: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Neel wrote: "That's great, that means I have four, could really do with a 5th if anyone knows anyone or can recommend?

L.M. - you're welcome to tag me."

Brilliant, thank you, I'll post here when it's up.x

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 18 comments Anyone could tag me if they wanted to. And, BTW, I like to have guest bloggers, too, and author interviews. I post poetry and Flash Fiction, all genre except erotica. (One can put a toe over the line if it fits into the story.) Also short articles about music, art, history, human interest, food, Veganism (!) Send me a message if you are intersted. Here's a link: http://lauralibricz.blogspot.de/

message 23: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in progress and then..."

hi Angela I've tagged you, here are the links I've done the same blog on my wrodpress and on my website:
http://lmsteel1.wordpress.com/2013/01...

http://www.lmsteel.co.uk/2013/01/13/t...

message 24: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Neel wrote: "That's great, that means I have four, could really do with a 5th if anyone knows anyone or can recommend?

L.M. - you're welcome to tag me."

hi Neel I've tagged you, here are the links I've done the same blog on my wrodpress and on my website:

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Gloria wrote: "Hi, L.M.,
Well, gulp, I don't know whether to run, wailing in fear, or take the plunge. I g-g-guess, I'll take the plunge and see how well I can swim. OK, tag me. Let's see where this goes."

hi Gloria I've tagged you, here are the links I've done the same blog on my wrodpress and on my website:

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela207) | 15 comments L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in pr..."

Thank you very much!! Now it is my turn, right? Is that what I am supposed to be doing? I will make a post soon. Thanks again!!

message 27: by Lu (new)

Lu (luul) Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about yo..."

Yeah now it is your turn to answer the questions and tag 5 more authors.x

message 28: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments OK, I looked at your site, L.M., and I thank you for listing my name and Goodreads site. My blog is gloriapiper.wordpress.com. Dumb question time: What do I do next? I tag 5 readers, and answer the questions on my blog. Is that it, or do I post the same to other blogs?

message 29: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments I looked at Ruth's website to find the answers about what the Next Big Thing involves. I'll post those answers on my blog when I'm ready. Actually I am ready to post, but before I do, I must tag 5 authors who would like to participate. Any takers?

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 18 comments Sure, tag me, Gloria

message 31: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela207) | 15 comments L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 que..."

Are there anymore authors left out there that would like to be tagged and promoted? Send me a message - I need four more!!

message 32: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments I'll go ahead and post answers about what the Next Big Thing involves on my blog, http://gloriapiper.wordpress.com/.
Glad to tag you, Laura. I need four more authors who wish to be tagged.

message 33: by Allan (new)

Allan Holender | 4 comments Alesha wrote: "I hope this is a helpful explanation.

A blog tour is basically when you make stops at several participating blogs that will host you in order to give you and your book(s) exposure (you might do an..."

Alesha, this was very helpful. We are all pre-occupied with trying to market our own books in a way that at times becomes very frustrating. Especially, with a crowded marketplace. I like the idea of the blog tour. I'd be interested in the indie blog tour with others. Also, I own a digital web radio network . www,consciousplanetradio.com , perhaps we can establish a Good Reads Indie Channel where we pool our resources and pay a production guy to set up and record our podcasts and then upload to my network. I can offer the broadcast platform pro bono, but would need a tech person to upload the shows. Thoughts anyone...

message 34: by Alesha (new)

Alesha Escobar | 21 comments Allan wrote: "Alesha wrote: "I hope this is a helpful explanation.

A blog tour is basically when you make stops at several participating blogs that will host you in order to give you and your book(s) exposure (..."

Allan, that sounds really neat! I'd definitely be interested in that.

message 35: by Allan (new)

Allan Holender | 4 comments Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "L.M. wrote: "Angela wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it..."

Zentrepreneurism: A Twenty-First Century Guide to the New World of Business

message 36: by L.M. (new)

L.M. David | 47 comments Hello, I am new to this group and have a question about tour blogs. How does one find blog tours geared for their genre? Mine is paranormal...

message 37: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments I have one author tagged for the Next Big Thing. I need four more. I have the rules and questions on my blog.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 38: by Gloria (last edited Jan 20, 2013 04:26PM) (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments Tista wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in progress and then you tag 5 other authors to ..."

Hi, Tista,
Do you have a blog or an author page where you can post reviews, articles, stories, and the like? In the Next Big Thing, you answer 10 questions and post them on your site. At the same time you include a list of 5 authors you have tagged, their blog site, and a description of their book. So the first thing is getting 5 authors who would like to be tagged.

If you would like to be tagged, you can go to my blog http://gloriapiper.wordpress.com/ and see the 10 questions.
If you prefer to send me a private message, that's OK.

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) I'm setting up a blog tour for the release of my new book 'Conversations in the Abyss' duringMarch. If you are interested then please send me a pm.

Thanks!

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle Jacklee | 40 comments Gloria wrote: "Tista wrote: "Ruth wrote: "You may also be interested in the Next Big Thing (NBT) author chain blog. If you haven't heard of it, it's 10 questions about your work in progress and then you tag 5 oth..."

Gloria, would a facebook page work?

message 41: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments I think so. It still provides access.

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen Sullivan (karensullivan) | 3 comments Good question Gloria.

message 43: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments By the way, when I was tagged for the Next Best Thing, my Good Reads author page was used as a link. So, that's OK, too.

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Sullivan (karensullivan) | 3 comments I have no idea and look forward to an answer.

message 45: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 49 comments Karen, what is your question?

message 46: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Marvello (drmarvello) | 48 comments If you write magical fantasy, I have a free blog tour opportunity I can offer. I run www.MagicAppreciationTour.com, which is a free online book catalog for magical fantasy readers and a free membership site for magical fantasy authors.

One of the membership benefits is access to the Magic Appreciation Blog Tours, which is essentially an email list of other fantasy authors. When you go on tour, I send out a notice, and the authors who have signed up for the list contact you with offers to host a blog post for you.

We're still fairly small, but the last person to go on tour got a great response. The last I heard, she had 9 offers to host out of only 22 people on the list!

Even if you are in some other genre, you might consider doing the same kind of thing. Set up an email list of same-genre authors who are looking to do blog tours in exchange for hosting the posts of other touring authors.

message 47: by Alesha (last edited Jan 22, 2013 09:27PM) (new)

Alesha Escobar | 21 comments My blog tour (this is my first time organizing one) starts Feb. 1, as mentioned earlier, and my fellow authors and I have already done quite a bit of prep work. If you want to see a blog tour being built from scratch and in pre-launch phase, feel free to stop by.

Our tour's blog: http://www.heroinestour.blogspot.com

Our tour's Facebook Fan Page. Yep, I created one: https://www.facebook.com/heroinestour

message 48: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) Alesha wrote: "My blog tour (this is my first time organizing one) starts Feb. 1, as mentioned earlier, and my fellow authors and I have already done quite a bit of prep work. If you want to see a blog tour being..."

This is quite a bit of work (Alesha's doing the lion's share, or should I say lioness?) but I am learning so much and so enjoying working with the other authors on the tour.

message 49: by Alesha (new)

Alesha Escobar | 21 comments Thanks, Devorah!

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Alesha wrote: "My blog tour (this is my first time organizing one) starts Feb. 1, as mentioned earlier, and my fellow authors and I have already done quite a bit of prep work. If you want to see a blog tour being..."

I'm putting one together for March at the moment, it is quite an effort, but I'm looking forward to results. Good luck with your tour and if anyone wants to take part in mine just send me a pm.

« previous 1