Around the World discussion

Personal Lists 2011-2013 > Tanya's Journey Around the World - 2012 and beyond!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (mom's small victories) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:23PM) (new)

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 33 comments Since I am joining this challenge late in the year, I think I will just keep one list for what I have read for 2012 and beyond. My journey will be based on what country the book is set in and my goal will be to read 80 books in 5 years (as I had already signed up for another book bloggers Around the World in 80 Books Reading Challenge before I found this Goodreads group). If a book takes place in more than one country, I will list all the countries in the review. I am not challenge myself to a certain number of books read in 2013 since my overall goal is to read 80 by 2017. I will try to list just one book from each country but I reserve the right to change my mind on that, too many good books to read, so little time.

My family is from India and since I cannot travel there at this time, it will be one of my favorite places to read about and I warn you that I will gravitate to reading as much as I can about my ancestral homeland.

Here's what I have read for 2012 so far:

Burundi - Strength in What Remains: A Journey of Remembrance and Forgiveness by Tracy Kidder, 3*
Dominican Republic & US -The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, 3*
England - Persuasion by Jane Austen, 5*
England - I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, 4*
France & Spain - The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway, 2*
France & US - The Paris Wifeby Paula McLain, 4*
India - The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar, 5*

From my TBR list I have plenty of options to make a dent in this challenge for 2013. Here are my ideas, subject to change and more to be added.

Belgian Congo - The Poisonwood Bible

Bora Bora - The Bungalow

Botswana - The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Burma - The Art of Hearing Heartbeats

Cambodia, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, India - Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

China - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
China - Chinese Lessons: Five Classmates and the Story of the New China

Columbia - Love in the Time of Cholera

Czech Republic - Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Djibouti - Djibouti

Egypt & Spain - The Alchemist

England - The Mysterious Affair At Styles

Ethiopia - Cutting for Stone

France - Anna and the French Kiss
France - Paris in Love
France - The Three Musketeers
France - Scaramouche
France - Sarah's Key
France - The Painted Girls: A Novel

France & Hungary - The Invisible Bridge
Germany - The Book Thief

India - Life of Pi
India - Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India
India - A Good Indian Wife
India - The Space Between Us
India - Beneath a Marble Sky
India - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
India - The Weight of Heaven
India - The Namesake
India - The Cost of Living
India - The God of Small Things

Ireland - In the Woods

Italy - Beautiful Ruins
Italy - The Shoemaker's Wife

Japan - Memoirs of a Geisha
Japan - 1Q84

Kenya - Chai Tea Sunday

Luxembourg - The Expats

Netherlands - Girl with a Pearl Earring

Nourmourtier Island (France) A Secret Kept

Pakistan - Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Russia - Anna Karenina

Saudi Arabia - Finding Nouf

Serbia - The Tiger's Wife

Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Kenya - Infidel

Spain - The Shadow of the Wind

Tibet - The Open Road: The Global Journey of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama

Turkey & Croatia - Murder on the Orient Express

UK - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
UK - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Vietnam - The Lotus Eaters

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 33 comments Thanks Judy, I have more to add and always looking for good recommendations. Which are your favorites?

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 33 comments adding another on my classics to read list as well..

Syria - The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 33 comments thanks for the suggestions Judy. i just finished and The Book Thief (Germany) and loved it. here's my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara (laradyane) Looks like you've got some good ones on there--In the Woods and The Book Thief are two of my faves! I haven't read Memoirs of a Geisha yet, but awhile back I read the autobiography of Mineko Iwasaki, who was the inspiration for Memoirs. It's called Geisha, in case you're interested in the non-fiction version as well--I really enjoyed it. Best of luck with your challenge! :)

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 33 comments Thanks Warnie for the Geisha recommendation, I will add it to my endless TBR list.