The Contemporary, YA, Classics and Other Random Genres Book Club discussion

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (Dash & Lily, #1)
This topic is about Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
January 2013 > Dash and Lily's Book of Dares discussion (1st-14th)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

theo (deethedeer) | 7 comments Mod
Here you can discuss Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.

Please do not post here before January 1st, and DO NOT read further if you haven't read the book, as this thread will contain spoilers, and you wouldn't want to ruin it for yourself, do you?

If you read this book after the group does/have already read it, you can still join in with the conversation, but not till Jan 1st!

Thank you :)

Harriate Slate (harislate) | 4 comments Mod
I can read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares!

Page 2!
This Dash guy is a little... he will be whatever everybody else is not?
Page 3/4
'It was a red Moleskine-made neither of mole or skin, but nonetheless the preferred journal of my associates who felt the need to journal in non-electronic form.' Oh my Zarquon I think I may be in love with this book. It is so wonderfully... the last book I read, I found it rather easy to relate to, despite having never experienced most of the things in the book, but this is just so... wonderful.

*shakes fist at amazon/the seller she got the book from/the post office, because her copy hasn't come yet*
I think I got up to page 10, or something, in Waterstone's, though.
I like when Lily's like 'WHATDOESHELOOKLIKE??'. It's amusing.

Thanks to Harriate the nice, who lent me her copy of Dash and Lily today, I have now finished it.
And I have no idea where to start with discussing it...

I suppose I should start with the simple fact that I fricking loved this book. For all the right and wrong reasons. I loved it because of the beautiful writing and messages between Lily and Dash. Because of the characterization of them both. Because it's the first book in a while I've read in basically one sitting. Because the notebook they wrote in was a Moleskine. Because, even though it's an American book, it did not actually have an overkill of Americanisms. Because Christmas, but not too much Christmas. Because, gaah, it was cute and lovely and bookish and just... *gushes*

I think it had a great mix of self-indulgent loveliness and serious messages that really meant something. And also, it had some really nice words in it, and has definitely inspired me to start reading the dictionary more, which I haven't been making time for lately.

Okay, now a question for people, that I'm really interested in knowing your answer to: Which were your favourite bits?

I think mine were the beginning scene in the bookshop, Lily dancing in the club, Dash's postcards, and the basement with OED in.

Also, what was your favourite line? I'm going to go over some of the bits in it again and get back to you on that one, myself...

Anyway, I'm glad we choose a book that was so good and enjoyable for our first book ^_^

Now I need to go do homework, and think of which book I'm going to suggest for our poll on which book we read next...

I have to say that I absolutely adored this book. But I am actually terrible at discussions and reviews and all that odd, peculiar stuff, but I am trying too remedy that. I cannot give you favourite lines, nor favourite scenes; I cannot, with great eloquence, tell you what it was about this book that made me love it so much.

It had a lovely atmosphere about it. As Delilah said, it was not excessively Christmas-y, and I feel that that is something in its favour, because it leaves something else. It is not a book that could only ever be read at Christmas, it may be the designated time, but I feel that a book that can only be read at Christmas is a bit of a waste of paper. What is the point of printing a book if it will only be read at one time of year, and then wallow away on dusty bookshelves for the rest of its, rather long, life.

A good book is meant to be relatable, and while I have to say that I have never met a boyfriend by leaving a quest to a faceless stranger through the medium of challenges, of 'dares', in a red Moleskine on my favourite bookshelf in the Strand (I want to go to the strand), there is something in this brand of teenage fiction, the YA of the American author, who writes realism, weaves a sense of honesty into their pages, sews it in with the threads of their words. It becomes so... believable, despite the gap between my world and theirs, the hundreds of miles of physical difference, my limited knowledge of where the story is set, and the huge cultural difference, the different way that I live my life in comparison to these people, I still feel something similar. I can still look at them, look at what they have done, and what they intend to do. What they like, and what they hate. Their manner of observing life, in all its many splendid uglinesses, and all its detestable beauties... I found it so much easier to relate to Dash than Lily, he was a character that I found it a lot easier to sympathise with, but I did not feel myself at all cut off from Lily. I found her to be likeable, if occasionally annoying (but so was Dash). It was the work of a few pages to prefer Dash, and the work of a few more to close that gap.

It has inspired me, I have to say. I did certainly enjoy it.

(Sorry if this did not make much sense).

The Contemporary, YA, Classics and Other Random...

unread topics | mark unread