Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Body Electric (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #3)
This topic is about The Body Electric
Book Issues > Please fix

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JSWolf | 649 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

The Body Electric by David mack needs some fixing up.

The title is incorrect and should be The Body Electric (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #3) with the series information showing in the book list.

The correct number of pages is 252.

The publisher is Pocket Books (without the Star Trek bit).

There is no description so here is the description (please include the bold/italics and the paragraph spaces in the book's listing)...

AT THE CENTER OF THE GALAXY . . .

A planet-sized Machine of terrifying power and unfathomable purpose hurls entire star systems into a supermassive black hole. Wesley Crusher, now a full-fledged Traveler, knows the Machine must be stopped . . . but he has no idea how.

Wesley must enlist the aid of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew, who also fail to halt the unstoppable alien juggernaut’s destructive labors. But they soon divine the Machine’s true purpose—a purpose that threatens to exterminate all life in the Milky Way Galaxy. With time running out, Picard realizes he knows of only one person who might be able to stop the Machine in time to avert a galactic catastrophe—if only he had any idea how to find him. . . .

Thanks.

JSWolf | 649 comments Armi wrote: "I made all other changes but for the page count, the announced number of pages is from the publisher."

This is incorrect for an ePub eBook. The page number shown is from a print edition and does not properly correspond to the ePub page number. Please click the link below so you can see a screen shot that does show the actual page number for this eBook.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 27, 2012 05:17PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Screenshot is from Adobe Digital Editions software. To the best of my knowledge, that's just one reading app and not a standard. Other ebook file sources are showing different page numbers.

(P.S. I just started this ebook and I agree fully with publisher page number settings.)

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Although that screenprint shows what Adobe Digital Editions considers to be the size of the book there is no way to know, I think, whether ADE is using the Page Map from the book or is synthesizing one of its own.

I can't think of a way to reasonably suggest to Goodreads that it should NOT, in most circumstances, accept publisher page numbering data as correct. I know that publisher data is often wrong for dates, ISBN/ASIN, cover artists, you name it and they get it wrong. But in those circumstances there is always a single correct answer ie it was published on that date, HE did the cover, that ISBN should be... Page numbering of ebooks is not like that. My Sony, various iPod apps, Kobo, and the Calibre reader hardly ever agree about the total number of pages in a file whether it is a bought-and-paid-for edition or a Baen ARC or a Mobilereads handmade state-of-the-art freebie or something much less offficial.

JSWolf | 649 comments Debbie (Debbie Rice) wrote: "Screenshot is from Adobe Digital Editions software. To the best of my knowledge, that's just one reading app and not a standard. Other ebook file sources are showing different page numbers.

(P.S..."

ADE is THE STANDARD for reading ePub. Sony, Kobo, B&N, Bookeen, Bluefire Reader (for iOS and Android), ADE for Windows & MAC as well other readers all use ADE as the software for reading ePub. It is the standard because it is the most used software.

ADE has page numbers that do not change if you change the font size. So I see no reason not to allow the page number ADE shows.

What the publisher does for an eBook listing is use the page number from a print edition. That in no way corresponds to the correct page number for the ePub.

If the publisher used say the page number for a hardcover edition for a paperback listing, would you say that is correct? No, you would not because it would be wrong just as the page number used for eBook listing is wrong since they use print page numbering.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) @JsWolf, you say ADE is the standard.

Sony says Sony Reader is the standard for reading Sony. Kobo says kobo is for kobo. Barnes and Noble says nook is for nook books. And so forth.

Yes, they all read epub files. Yes, the parent corporation behind the ADE software was instrumental in developing ePub format. Yes, in current and previous releases of ePub it started being possible to use fixed format page numbers.

No, other than you, I have never heard (even from Adobe press releases) that ADE is the standard. I really think you need to share some links to the documentation saying ADE is the standard.

I'll save you some time hunting on the Adobe site and quote what Adobe says about their software: "Digital Editions also supports industry-standard eBook formats, including PDF/A and EPUB." — source http://www.adobe.com/products/digital...