THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Goodreads feed from smashwords?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Bomstad (EricBomstad) | 2 comments I am curious as to why smashwords doesn't show as retailer option for eBooks. B&N has one of my books listed, and they still don't have the cover image fixed. They are showing correctly at other sites. I have had to add both books manually to goodreads.

Is there something or some policy that prevents a relationship between goodreads and smashwords?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments The buy links are USER configurable so users can use the links they want, except for the Kobo button for those in certain countries and the BN link for those in other countries which GR have affiliate links to.

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 27, 2012 01:10PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) That's what I thought too, Paula. I got corrected and was told that where Kobo and BN show on leftmost green button -- that just shows whoever paid to be in that spot and it could be Google Play or other retailers at any given time. It's a paid advertisement even though not labeled "sponsored link" or anything.

The other two buttons users set. To set, go to edit profile and use the "book links" tab to set up whatever they want.

(And with publisher smashwords, unlike amazon and BN, goodreads librarians are allowed to use publisher book data including cover images so there is a better relationship existing).

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:02PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Actually, you can list your own book links. Under "edit profile" the book links tab.

The leftmost green purchase link button is a sponsored one you can't control, the middle button is for book links you check as being "ecommerce enabled" meaning book available for purchase, and the third for everything else.

If another user has added a site, you get to "add" from list in righthand column versus recreating (may need to click the country drop menu for foreign links).

If site does not offer an isbn/asin/bnid/whatever search, not going to work as well and you need to make sure to put the url info in the "title" field vs. isbn area. But you can add it.

If you are adding ebook loans from libraries using overdrive, use the title search. The isbn search for overdrive is odd. As in, in your library's overdrive page for a specific book looking right at an isbn number you copy to the advanced search into isbn field—overdrive does not always find the book.

I think there are some bugs (amazon.es gave me trouble) .

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 02:40PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Usually if a link doesn't work, the isbn/asin info on that edition's book page is wrong.

For example, frequently, Barnes and Noble nook books with isbn13 starting with 294##### (bnid for nook books) have something mistakenly in the isbn10 field which causes link not to work.

If you on the kindle edition's book page showing an asin, the Barnes and Noble and other non-amazon links may not work.

(nook also uses standard 978#### isbn13s which works fine if isbn10 number also showing; I'm pretty sure that's how smashwords shows at Barnes and Noble for the nook ebook editions)

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Sample of what my current links/buttons look like:

my custom links

Larger size if not viewable is at http://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1356912...

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric Bomstad (EricBomstad) | 2 comments Thanks Debbie for the good information. I have found the store link info and will work on that list.

message 8: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Smashwords is an existing link you add versus custom entering; easiest to find if you sort alphabetically the righthand column when editing book links.