Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Authors > Why didn't I know this about this guy? (Facts about authors that I didn't put together)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Ever look up an author only to find that the man had been involved in something that was totally out of character from what you thought? Either bad or good, post it here...(of course those of you who know me, know I like the good stuff better than the bad.)

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Dec 28, 2012 04:48PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
I thought it was really cool when I found out that James Rollins was a veterinarian. I'm a veterinarian who likes to write, so it was very encouraging to me. People tend to think that scientists are too right-brained to be creative, but I love art as much as I love science.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments I was surprised to find out that L.E. Modesitt Jr. was some kind of economics expert. He worked as one for the government & it lends a lot of realism to his fantasy worlds. His wife teaches singing. His Soprano Sorceress series isn't my favorite, but the musical sorceries are well done.

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Both Cool. I liked that about Rollins and I had no idea that Modesitt was an economics major. That's interesting. Now I understand some details in the few books of his I've read.

For me, the post I wanted to make here was about Martin Caidin. I read a World War II story by him Whip. Yesterday I found out that he's written 80 books, about half or more were Sci-fi including the book Cyborg which was later turned into the TV show "The Six Million Dollar Man."

That was a difficult compute, but from the titles, I bet I've read one of his other stories and never connected the two.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments Funny, but the "6 Million Dollar Man" was the reason I read any of Caidin's books. I liked the show when it was on & saw that it was based on his book, so I read it.

Ian Fleming was a spy during WWII with MI6, as I recall.

Larry McMurtry was raised on a cattle ranch, which helps lend a lot of credence to his westerns, but apparently pretty much hated being a cowboy, so took up the pen instead.

James Clavell was actually a prisoner of war in WWII & had a horrible time of it at the hands of the Japanese. He & many others were saved by an American who later became the main character in King Rat.

Sorry, I don't particularly want to know anything about authors. I am interested in their books, not them as people. Ditto with actors. Unfortunately, I have a pack rat mind - trivial, really...
;-)

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Edgar Rice Burroughs was kicked out of College in the North East and came into his own as a rancher out west (even did a stint as an indian fighter.)

message 7: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Jim wrote: "Funny, but the "6 Million Dollar Man" was the reason I read any of Caidin's books. I liked the show when it was on & saw that it was based on his book, so I read it.

Ian Fleming was a spy during ..."

I'm not so sure this reflects a "want to know". More a release for the rat pack mind. My mind's so full, I gotta kick something old out to put something new in.

([]{B-{D>)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
I remember when I found out Rob Thurman was a woman...from the name I assumed "she was male". :)

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I remember when I found out Rob Thurman was a woman...from the name I assumed "she was male". :)"

I didn't know that! I would have assumed the same thing.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
I think it was when I was looking for other books in the Leandros series or something and ran across an article.

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Well, I had to pop over to see what see looked like.

Learn something new everyday.