Challenge: 50 Books discussion

How to post a new discussion topic

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1786 comments Mod
Hello everyone, especially new members! In preparation for the new year, and the possibility of new friends wanting to join us in reading 50 or more books, here's a quick how-to for posting your lists, in case anyone's unsure how to do it.

When you want to start a new discussion in a group:
1) Go to the group's page (for this group, it's http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...).
2) Go to the Discussion Board section of the page (right under the group's header, and any group reads info).
3) On the right side of the "Discussion Board" title bar, click "new," which will add a new thread to the group.
4) In the "topic" space, name your thread ("Tiffany's 2013 books," for example).
5) If you're writing about a specific book or author, you can add the name to the "this topic is about" field.
6) If you want to put your thread in a specific folder, click on the folder drop down and pick which folder your discussion should go in. For our reading lists in this group, find the folder where your name would go under (for example, mine would go in the P-T folder), and select that folder. We also have a General folder (for group up-keep, group reads, some of our Friday questions, miscellaneous stuff, and that type of thing); our Friday Questions folder, which lisa may be making use of; and our "finish line" folders (some of which actually say "Finish Line," and some which just have a year), where you can re-file your thread when you've reached your goal for the year. And if you accidentally put your thread in the wrong folder, don't worry: that's what the friendly moderators are here for :) We'll help you get it into the right place.
7) Type what you want in the comment field.
8) When everything's done, you can click on "(preview)" in light grey at the bottom left, next to the "post" button, to make sure everything looks good. When you're satisfied with your post and done with it, click the "post" button (If you're previewing your comment, you'll have to click the x in the top right corner of your preview, or the "close" at the bottom right.). Your new discussion will show up in the folder you chose, marked as "new" for everyone to read!

We're a pretty friendly group, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you have them, or you can send a private message to any of the moderators.

Welcome to any new members we have, and even to our old members! :)

message 2: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Great! Thanks, Tiffany.

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Thanks Tiffany! I can help out with this too, so to the new members please dont hesitate to get a hold of any of us to ask questions.

message 4: by Maja (new)

Maja Thank you so much, I was a little lost

message 5: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Maggie, your list looks great! You can keep adding books to that same thread as you go.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (marinazala) | 83 comments nice info! thank you i will update my list now :)

message 7: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Marina wrote: "nice info! thank you i will update my list now :)"

Wonderful! Welcome to the group :)

message 8: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Hello to our new members for 2015! We look forward to tackling 50 or more books with each of you :)

If you're new to the group, please take a moment to look at this thread (if you haven't already) to find out how to create your list for us to follow.

Thanks, and welcome to the group!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I'm new to the group and I've got a question maybe you can answer it for me. Does the books just have to be paperbacks and hardback or can you include nook and kindle books to.

message 10: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
You can absolutely count works published in electronic format like nook and kindle books. We don't have many rules. Format the challenge the way it works for you. Cheers.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Thinks so much,I'll be putting up my books tomorrow.

message 12: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 53 comments Where would I put mine? Because there isn't any folder for something after the letter T? If that makes sense

message 13: by Exanimis (new)

Exanimis | 162 comments That's an interesting question, I never noticed that that options stopped at T

message 14: by Faye (last edited Aug 26, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Vanessa wrote: "Where would I put mine? Because there isn't any folder for something after the letter T? If that makes sense"

Welcome, Vanessa! We're not later-letter-in-the-alphabet-ist, honestly, we're not. There is a folder for U-Z here (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...)

In order to see this folder from my group main page, I need to click on the "More Discussions" link below the last group of threads "Group Reads." I guess Goodreads defaults to a certain number of topic groups to avoid having to scroll too far to get to events and friends and what not. You might be able to customize the folders that appear on the group main page; I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

message 15: by Exanimis (new)

Exanimis | 162 comments Thanks Faye, I'll remember that if it ever comes up again.

message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 53 comments Thanks for the help, Faye! I found the page, but i think i'll start using it 2017 since its the middle of the year now :) i hope thats ok.
Thank you!

message 17: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

To add to Faye's comment, there are times when you can't see all of the folders on the group's home page (Goodreads will hide inactive folders, or not show all of them in order to save space on the home page), but when you're in edit mode for a discussion and you use the folders drop-down, all of the folders do show. So there's no worry about not being able to select a certain folder when you're trying to file a discussion.

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 53 comments Ok thanks for the help !!

message 19: by librarian4Him02 (new)

librarian4Him02 | 261 comments HI Tiffany,

I followed the above instructions to start my 2017 list and am getting an error message that says, "Sorry, you must verify your email before posting a new topic."

I checked my email and there are no outstanding messages from Goodreads asking me to verify my email address. I also tried logging out and logging back in. Still got the same error message. I tried posting to a private board that I run wth some friends. That one did ask me to provide my password. However, i still got the same error message about verifying my email when I tried to post there.

Do you know if Goodreads is having a glitch at the moment?Or is there some way to verify my email that I"m not seeing at the moment?

Thank you and Happy New Year.

Juli

message 20: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

librarian4Him02 wrote: "HI Tiffany,

I followed the above instructions to start my 2017 list and am getting an error message that says, "Sorry, you must verify your email before posting a new topic."

I checked my email ..."

My only other suggestion would be to go to your profile / account settings. In there -- possibly under "Settings" -- there's usually a "verify your email" option, or something similar (I don't see it in my account right now, but I *do* see the last time I verified my address, so maybe mine was verified too recently to have the option to verify it again). Maybe if you could find that, that would refresh your account.

If that doesn't work, you could post to the Goodreads Feedback group or e-mail Goodreads support. Someone at either route might be able to tell you what's going on.

message 21: by Rain.a (new)

Rain.a (rainasaurus) Tiffany wrote: "librarian4Him02 wrote: "HI Tiffany,

I followed the above instructions to start my 2017 list and am getting an error message that says, "Sorry, you must verify your email before posting a new topic..."

I had the same problem and managed to fixed it with your suggestion. Thanks!

message 22: by librarian4Him02 (new)

librarian4Him02 | 261 comments Tiffany wrote: "librarian4Him02 wrote: "HI Tiffany,

I followed the above instructions to start my 2017 list and am getting an error message that says, "Sorry, you must verify your email before posting a new topic..."

That worked. Thanks so much Tiffany.

Happy Reading,
Juli

message 23: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

I'm so glad it worked for both of you!

message 24: by British (new)

British Custom Essay | 1 comments I'm also glad to be a part of this interesting group. I love reading books and nowadays I am seeking so fascinating collection to read on holiday. I am a researcher and I work with Professional Essay Writing Service providing companies and its become my passion.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Gray | 6 comments This doesn't seem to work on the phone app, because I can't see on the home page any links to add a thread. Is this only available on a PC/tablet or is there a way on the iPhone. Or maybe I need to update my app. Thanks

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Gray | 6 comments Ok never mind, I found that you need to go into a topic to get the + sign to show in the upper right.

message 27: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Ok never mind, I found that you need to go into a topic to get the + sign to show in the upper right."

I'm glad you were able to figure it out. I've never used the app, so I would have been totally useless to you :)

message 28: by Karlene (last edited Dec 23, 2018 12:11AM) (new)

Karlene Moss | 1 comments Hi
I am a Karlene Moss, A new member from the United States and currently working for a Link Building Services - SEOServicesLand
I have some issues is adding topic because it's giving some kind of error. Please hel[.
Thanks

message 29: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Karlene wrote: "Hi
I am a Karlene Moss, A new member from the United States ...
I have some issues is adding topic because it's giving some kind of error. Please hel[."

Hi, Karlene.

What error is it giving you?

Please also be advised that, in accordance with our group rules, it's frowned upon for members to advertise their websites or services. If the topic you're trying to post is an advertisement, it will be deleted.