2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
ARCHIVE 2013 > Group Buddy Read: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashley We will be discussing The Count of Monte Cristoin this thread. Please remember to mark spoilers.

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments Yay! I've been wanting to read this. It's been on my bookshelf for a while now.

message 3: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments I'm also super excited to read this. My husband is NOT a reader at ALL, but he loved this book. It's the only one he actually finished/read when he was back in school, and he still has his copy. =]

message 4: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan | 127 comments Definitely in for this one!

message 5: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash | 4 comments This is a fantastic book!

Missy (adriella) | 52 comments Count me in too! I've had this book for years and never read it. Can.t wait to get started. i've never done a buddy read before, how does this work?

message 7: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Missy wrote: "Count me in too! I've had this book for years and never read it. Can.t wait to get started. i've never done a buddy read before, how does this work?"

We just read the book, talk about how far we've gotten and discuss what we've read/liked/disliked/etc. =]

message 8: by Rumil (new)

Rumil (rumirumil) I'm so excited! I've read this book about a half dozen times, the first time being when I was about twelve or so, and every time has been better than the last. This is a great way to start the new year. :)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments I'm in for this one, but I'm pretty nervous about it. This is one of those books that I've thought about picking up for so long but never did.

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I'm in! This will be my first buddy read too, Missy! :-)

message 11: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Kara wrote: "I'm in for this one, but I'm pretty nervous about it. This is one of those books that I've thought about picking up for so long but never did."

Aww why are you nervous?

message 12: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments It's just so long--I mean, I like long books, but they're always a little scary to start. I rarely abandon books, so 1000+ pages is quite the commitment.

Gaijinmama | 37 comments I read this book earlier in 2012 but I'm happy to jump into the discussion here. I do not do digital readers, so I had lots of fun freaking out my Uni students with how long it was! I'd whip that big old brick of a book out of my bag and watch their jaws drop.
Took me three months but truly, never a dull moment.
Be careful of reading it in bed though, it will give you a bruise if you doze off and it falls on your face!

message 14: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments My copy isn't big at all

message 15: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Lol just looked at my husband's copy and it's the abridged version. Oh man I might have set myself up for failure this month

Gaijinmama | 37 comments A lot of the abridging is historical detail about 19th-century Europe. I found that aspect of the book fascinating, but the plot isn't terribly affected without it.

message 17: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments I have the unabridged--it's a beast.

message 18: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan | 127 comments Is there a particular translation that anyone would recommend?

message 19: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments They abridged it a lot! It's cut to 441 pages! I need to pick up the full copy or I'll forever feel like a cheater.

message 20: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments I've started on the 1,276 monster! It's surprisingly fast-paced. I really like it so far.

Morgan, I have the Robin Bass translation. Before he read it last year, my boyfriend did a lot of research into which one to read, and he picked this one.

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I started it too. I'm about 15 chapters in. I think it drags in the sections with the king where they talk about politics...but maybe if I knew more about world history it would make more sense. I am enjoying it, though, especially the last couple chapters!

message 22: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan | 127 comments Thankyou! I've ordered that copy in and the bookstore should have it next week, can't wait to start :)

message 23: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (hisanakubi) I've always wanted to read this one ! :) I'll read it in French though, as it's my native language ^^
I'll start it on Monday, 'cause I don't have a copy at home! :/

message 24: by Lilac (new) - added it

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 867 comments It's so cool that you're able to read the book in it's original language! And it saves you the trouble of picking a translator. :)

message 25: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (hisanakubi) ^_^ Yeah, picking a translation is always very hard!

Missy (adriella) | 52 comments Only three chapters into the unabridged version and already hooked! I'm reading it on my new Nook. It's the first ebook I've read so its a little weird getting used to the format and not having a big bulky thing to carry around.

message 27: by Gaijinmama (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaijinmama | 37 comments Hisanakubi wrote: "I've always wanted to read this one ! :) I'll read it in French though, as it's my native language ^^
I'll start it on Monday, 'cause I don't have a copy at home! :/"

That's way cool! A native speaker of French, with a Japanese screen name, in an English book discussion group.
I salute you all the way from over here in Tokyo.

Kelsi (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I picked up this book at Half Price Books yesterday! Once I finish one of the books I reading, I plan on starting it :)

message 29: by Kaitlin (last edited Jan 05, 2013 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Finished Chapter 19...that was a turn of events I wasn't expecting!

I think it's interesting that this book is a mix of like literary fiction and fantasy. So many things are just too easy or weird, and all the characters are like, "Oh, yes, well of course!"

I'd love some opinions from you guys if anybody else has already read through 19...(view spoiler)

message 30: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments I'm only about 20% of the way through, and I'm CRAZY LOVING THIS.

I just finished Chapter 19 as well: (view spoiler)

Kelsi (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I totally plan on starting this within the week. I've made a goal to limit myself to 3 books at a time with school starting, but I need to start this soon or I'll never finish within the month!

message 32: by Lilac (new) - added it

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 867 comments I've done the exact same thing, Kelsi, so I can't start this until I've finshed one of my Currently-Reading books. And even then, it'd be better if I started another of my library books rather than one I own so it might take me a while to even start this, let alone finish it.

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Oh, you're right Kara, I forgot! At least weird episodes aren't limited to women in this book (I'm used to Victorian literature, where women faint all the time). I loved how Fernand was so sweaty and twitchy in the beginning.

I read through Chapter 50 yesterday. Still enjoying it! I do get bored of it sometimes, but then something crazy happens (I was really into the servant's story about Villefort) and I get back into it again. I think it's unique how it jumps in time, and the main characters keep changing.

Kelsi (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Started it, four chapters in and am very surprised at how easy it reads. I have a day off and I may just curl up and get completely sucked into this now!

message 35: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (hisanakubi) I'm totally into the book now! Every time I've got a moment, I take the book and read. I'm now reading chapter 17. (view spoiler)

message 36: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Jeanne, I felt the same way about (view spoiler)

message 37: by Kaitlin (last edited Jan 11, 2013 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Man, this is getting exhausting! So much scheming. Not to mention the fainting! I love that everyone carries around smelling salts.

Just got to Chapter 65 - (view spoiler)

I hope I get to some of the other books I planned for this month...this thing is LONG!

Gaijinmama | 37 comments I think one thing that really struck me in the first part of the book was how totally cut-off from the outside Edmond is while imprisoned. That is just not possible in the developed world now. With modern technology we are never really alone. Even prisoners have newspapers and the Internet.

Hang in there everyone, it's long but having managed to get through it, I can guarantee you it is worth the investment of time and energy.

message 39: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments I'm up to chapter six so far and I really enjoy the way it's written. It's a lot easier to read than I was expecting, even though I know I'm missing out a little on the French references and whatnot.

I'm so upset for Dantes right now. I've seen the movie so I know what happens, but I'm so frustrated right regardless! I guess that comes with the third-person omniscient POV!

I'm also reading The Help and Pride and Prejudice which are library books, so I can't delve as deeply into Monte Cristo as much as I want to yet. I need to get those two out of the way first. *SIGH* lol

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I finished this yesterday. It got pretty intense toward the end! It was like one big soap opera, mixed with Hamlet or something. Everyone's all about honor and is so hard core about love; nobody does anything halfway.

Definitely worth reading. I haven't got the energy to write a review yet, but maybe later.

Alexandra, I loved The Help and didn't expect to. I hope you like it too!

message 41: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Wow! Great job finishing, Kaitlin. I'm still less than halfway through--I temporarily abandoned it to read some science fiction, but I'll be back to it soon.

Ashley I have made it up to Chapter 13 in this book. I really like it! I'm not sure I will get it completed by the end of the month, but at least it is an enjoyable read!

message 43: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (hisanakubi) Alexandra: Yeah, there's a lot of French History in this book! I can quickly sum up the situation for you if you want! The political situation was a bit messy by this time ^^

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I felt like there was way less history as the book progressed. So if you find it annoying, don't worry! And none of the historical details are germane to the plot, so don't feel like you have to follow everything they're talking about.

Sarah | 1 comments This is my favorite book and author of all time and every time I read this book my love for it and him grows. I am rereading it with you guys and I am so glad to hear that you really like it :) I am on chapter 30.
As for the history aspect of the book it does fade as the book goes on (as someone has said before) but that is just Alexandre Dumas. Every writing of his had been based on a morsel of true French History. He and his partner picked names and facts and twisted them to the fabrications of his brilliant imagination. Sorry, I just love his work!

message 46: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Kaitlin wrote: "I finished this yesterday. It got pretty intense toward the end! It was like one big soap opera, mixed with Hamlet or something. Everyone's all about honor and is so hard core about love; nobody do..."

I very much enjoyed The Help and also didn't expect to. It took me a little to get into it but I loved it by the end.

Haven't gotten much farther in Monte Cristo. I'm trying to finish up a few more of the other books on my list for this month so I don't have anything else in the way to distract me!

Kelsi (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments 28 Chapters in and I really want to abandon all schoolwork and finish it. I'm excited to see how Dantes' revenge will play out.

message 48: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Isn't it amazing? I totally loved it. Five stars from me. I was completely engrossed the whole time. It felt much much shorter than it actually was.

message 49: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments You guys almost made me want to read it again, but if anything I'll probably watch the movie again ... that way I get a dose of Jim Caviezal!

message 50: by Kelsi (last edited Feb 12, 2013 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelsi (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I'm so excited to devote all my free time on Saturday to this. I MUST NOT CONTINUE ON during the week or I may not make it through exams. (Except before bed of course).

On a side note, I'm loving the Bonapartist history. I'm in a French Revolution class and my professor has actually referred to his love for this book because of Dumas' knowledge. He told us he would profess his love for it later in the semester when we get to Napoleon. Yes. Yes. Yes.