2022 Reading Challenge discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
ARCHIVE 2013 > Lilac/AshleyK: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ashley We will discuss A Game of Thrones in this thread.

Beverly (bshrib) I've been working on this book for year. Maybe if I do this buddy read I will actually be able to finish. :) Can I join in?

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Love this book. About to start the 4th one

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments Beverly wrote: "I've been working on this book for year. Maybe if I do this buddy read I will actually be able to finish. :) Can I join in?"

I'm pretty sure you can (although it's not up to me) :D

Ashley Of course you can, Beverly! The more we have the more fun! Feel free to join in with the discussion. I am hoping to get this one started by this weekend. :)

Anna (iudita) | 3 comments The Game of Thrones was one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. I loved the setting, the writing style and I have never read another book where you become as attached to the characters.

Ashley I just started this book today and I'm already 60 pages in. This is not usually a genre I read, and I was scared at first that it would be a slow read. I'm liking it so far! Yay!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I happen to be reading this too! I'm about 30% done with it and I like it quite a bit. I don't always have time to read, so I may be a bit slow, but I'm definitely hoping to finish by the end of the month.

Beverly (bshrib) Woo! Yay! I think I will pick back up and start again tomorrow.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 283 comments I love this series! I read the first four books so far. Enjoy!!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I had this book for a year and couldn't get past the first few chapters. Then I watched Season 1 of the HBO series and was re-energized to get through it. It was great after I got used to the setting. Now I'm on book #3.

Mariam (madamepresidente) | 5 comments Hi everyone! How's the book coming along?

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments I haven't stared reading it yet as a copy still hasn't arrived at my library. Now that the Christmas holidays are properly over I'm sure it'll get there soon though.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I remember this book starting off slowly, but trust me, STICK WITH IT. The plot picks up and then you will not be able to put it down. Oh...it gets more intense as each book picks up.

message 15: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 131 comments this month i am very busy i think i will manage to start it but definetily not finish it
if someone would like to continue this in february too it will be great

Ashley So far so good. This one and The Count of Monte Cristo will probably take me the majority of the month while I also add in shorter books to read. I see myself continuing with the series though and am enjoying the book!

Shawna | 48 comments starting this one today. Really excited as I am fairly new to the group and this will be my first buddy read.

Shawna | 48 comments Does anyone watch the show on HBO? I do and that is found out about the books originally. To be fair I am only about 5% in but so far the story in identical. I think the show is fantastic so I don't mind, in fact I think that only makes me like the show more that they were able to stick to the story that made it so great.

Craig | 826 comments I watched the first 2 series and just started reading the book last night so will try to get involved in this discussion

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (iudita) | 3 comments I watched the first few episodes of the series and really enjoyed it but it does not compare to the detail of the book. I did think they did a great job casting the chaaracters in the series.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Khal Drogo/jason mamoa grew up in my hometown! I started watching the show because of him and it is now one of my favorites. The opening credits get me everytime!

Ashley I read nearly 200 pages in one sitting yesterday. I just couldn't seem to put the book down. I'm hoping to get back at it today!

Sharon (sweetsharon) | 111 comments I have had this on my to read shelf and decided to start my new year off with it....well my only disappointment is I have waited so long to start it.

Beverly (bshrib) I've only seen the first episode of the show but I really liked it. I just never have time to watch TV. I'm a little more than halfway done now! It's getting really good.

message 25: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 131 comments just started the book and i like it so far.
i also watched an episode of the tv series but i didn't like it, it was too violent

Sharon (sweetsharon) | 111 comments I am a non-tv watcher, someone just told me about the series, thanks Ana for the heads up on the violence, I will stick to reading the book and letting my imagination take care of the fight scenes. I had almost thought of watching a bit to get all the characters straight.

Craig | 826 comments After a trip to London this weekend, time on the plane and at the airport gave me the opportunity to push on a bit so managed to get up to 295. Having already watched the first series of the TV show, I know lots of stuff is gonna be happening soon in the book and it's making it really hard to put it down!!

Ashley We are at about the same place in the book, Craig. I haven't seen the tv show and don't have HBO, but I am really liking the book so far. I have felt many emotions in such little time.

Shawna | 48 comments I am about half way through now and am loving it. Though the show follows closely to the story you cant beat the great details in the print. So far the trip up to Vail has been my favorite part. I am scared of heights so I really felt for Cathryn while she was riding that mule.

Mariam (madamepresidente) | 5 comments I'm 400+ pages into the book. I'm a huge fan of the TV show and have watched both seasons several times. I'm curious to know everyone's favorite character(s). Mine are Arya, Jon, and Tyrion. Who are your favorite characters and why? :)

message 31: by Sharon (last edited Jan 15, 2013 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon (sweetsharon) | 111 comments I am with you Shawna the height the mule, I have a height issue as well. Great writing I am enjoying the book. I think my favourite character is Arya.

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) I am only at the beginning of the book I can't seem to get into it very much but I am going to keep reading maybe I will have better luck with the TV show

Shawna | 48 comments sry I miss typed that should be catelyn and vale

Craig | 826 comments I'm over 400 pages in now and agree the Eyrie sounds like a hellish place....can't imagine trying to take that place even with a huge army!!

Mariam wrote: "I'm 400+ pages into the book. I'm a huge fan of the TV show and have watched both seasons several times. I'm curious to know everyone's favorite character(s). Mine are Arya, Jon, and Tyrion. Who ar..."

My favourite characters...hmmm....? I'd say Ned, Dany and Catelyn for the following reasons:

Ned is an honorable man always looking to do the right thing. He values family and is fiercely loyal to his King and those he cares for.

Dany because I think she's starting to stand up for herself and not let her brother walk all over her. Also she's standing up to her husband, trying to learn his customs etc rather than just expect everyone to follow her own, as Viserys does.

Catelyn because she is both a loving wife and mother, but maintains her own strength of character - a fighter who would defend her family and her beliefs to the death.

Meg-Anne | 26 comments The Game of Thrones series are my favorite books. I've read the series 3 times I believe --- I have to reread the series when a new book comes out.

The show isn't bad and the 1st season seems pretty true to the book but I prefer the books.

Shawna | 48 comments I really love just about every character except Sansa. She is just a spoiled little brat. You can't even say she is just being a teenage bc she is 11. I am enjoying the book, but when I read her chapters I really just try and get through them. I really want to slap her!

Ashley I feel the same way, Shawna! We'll slap her together, lol. :)

Mariam (madamepresidente) | 5 comments Craig wrote: "Ned is an honorable man always looking to do the right thing. He values family and is fiercely loyal to his King and those he cares for..."

Yes, Ned too!

I LOVE Dany’s TV character more than Dany in the book lol (don’t know if it makes much sense). With Catelyn, I just can't get myself to like her. I watched the TV show first before attempting to read the book - I disliked her then for her contemptuous attitude towards Jon (a very loving boy with a tender heart). I haven't been able to give her another chance.

Shawna wrote: "I really love just about every character except Sansa. She is just a spoiled little brat. You can't even say she is just being a teenage bc she is 11. I am enjoying the book, but when I read her ch..."

Shawna & Ashley, you guys are not alone!

Craig | 826 comments I get where you're coming from Mariam. I guess for me I can understand where Catelyn is coming from, not saying I agree, but if my partner cheated on me while we were married, and we were able to work it out so we could be together, but then the child of that affair was brought to my house to live with us, I can see how that would be hard to deal with, being a constant reminder of the infidelity.

I've finished the book now, and what a great read it was!! Now I wish I'd bought the next one as I've already seen season 2 of the TV series. Maybe we should go a buddy/group read of each of the books in the series, so we can continue or discussions and see how the characters develop?

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments ha. Hurry up and read books 2 &3, because I've been meaning to start the 4th one, but it is considered the slow book in the series. I think a buddy read would get me motivated. Also, if you guys do read more, wait til book 3. it is insane!

message 41: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 131 comments i am half through it and i love it. i can't put it down and learn for my exams coming next week:)) i will definitely continue the series

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments A copy still hasn't arrived at my library, which is really frustrating seeing as I reserved it on the 12th of December. If it doesn't arrive soon I probably won't finish it until February. :(

Shawna | 48 comments I would def be in to finish up the series as a buddy read. I was into the show first but I have enjoyed the book on a whole dif level. I am at 78% on my kindle and am ready for the next one.

Ashley We can definitely Buddy Read this series if you'd like. I am trying to finish the 1st one this month and I definitely want to continue on as I own through book 4, lol.

Lilac, this thread will stay up through the end of February before it is archived, so you still have time. :)

message 45: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 131 comments that's exactly what i wanted to ask you:) i will definitely finish the book in a 2-3 days and i would like to continue it as a buddy read

Shawna | 48 comments Just finished and about to pick up book two!!! loved it!

Mariam (madamepresidente) | 5 comments Craig wrote: "Maybe we should go a buddy/group read of each of the books in the series, so we can continue or discussions and see how the characters develop?..."

Great idea Craig! I'm up for it! Seems like there are more than a few others willing to do the same. Awesome.

Kiera (krpeters) | 2 comments I just found this group - I finished the first book a couple weeks ago and would love to read the second with others if that's ok!

Ashley Book 2 will be a Buddy Read for February, since so many people are interested! I will be making the February Buddy Read threads in the next couple of days. :)

message 50: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 131 comments didn't expected for Robb to be proposed as a king and for Jon to stay there and do nothing, it's like he was thrown out of the story:( also i want to know what happens to Arya
i didn't like that Eddard was killed and it seems strange to me that Catelyn 'partcipates' in the war instead of going home where she would be safe and taking care of the kids

what are your thoughts?

« previous 1