Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Why do you live where you do?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments I've been watching weather reports today and it seems like nothing more than a replay of every past year. There are big storms heading to the northeast U.S., possible floods in rainy areas, etc., etc., etc.

So I wonder why people choose to live where they do, despite the various negatives of the area. If you have to shovel through five feet of snow to get to the mailbox, what is it that keeps you rooted there? If there's so much rain that you're growing fins and gills, why not find a drier locale?

We ended up in St. George primarily because of the weather. Having lived in Seattle for years, Mrs. Phil needed a break from the ever-present cloud cover and the always imminent rain.

Culturally, St. George is most accurately described as a wasteland; there's no theater to speak of, no diversity, and the stifling presence of an overbearing religious majority.

So why do we stay?

Well, we won't be here forever, but it works for now. I can ride my bike ten months of the year, golf is year-round, the national parks are exquisite and we're close enough to Las Vegas that we can access world class entertainment without major expense.

And you?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We left St. George (where Phil is) by choice -- but it was an economic decision. I have to work for a few more years -- and Omaha is where the company that offered me a good job is located. So we make the best of it, until it's time to move on. We are thinking of going east to be closer to family ties after this. If it were up to me, I would probably go back to a desert climate. But it's not up to me. I will insist on warmer winters, though.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Because I love almost everything about the area. The only thing missing is the mountains. I love having four seasons. Digging out of the occasional snow storm is a very little price to pay for the fact that you can get out and commune with nature in so many varied ways.

I will probably eventually want a warmer climate, but having four distinct seasons lets me know I'm alive, and for now I couldn't ask for more except maybe a mountain view.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I moved to Sydney when I was 18 after my parents suggested quite strongly it was time for me to move out. Sydney is a little wetter and colder than I was used to. Apart from that, it is a great place to live. A great place to bring up kids. Fantastic opportunities. In spite of rumors to the contrary, we do have four seasons. They're just a little more subtle than some of you may be used to. Would I move from here? I can't imagine why anyone would want to. 18 years spent growing up in country NSW, I know how little it has to offer, women in particular. Maybe a change suburbs. That would be it for me.

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I was born here. I moved all over after graduation, but settled down about 10 years ago. It seemed like time to come home.

As far as the area and house? The mister owned it when we got married and it made financial sense to keep it, for now.

Would I move? Sure.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments My folks moved to Colorado Springs when I was 12, been in CO since. Being employed at the same place for over 32 years, started in the southwest metro(Denver) area near the foothills, in a suburb. 1997, moved out east to Elizabeth (pop.1200) and just loved the quiet/slower pace, and elbow room between your neighbors. Commute is farther of course, but it is worth it.
Sure, we've had blizzards and some big snowstorms. But, there are plenty of times in the winter, you could head up to ski in the morning, come back down to the metro area and play golf in the afternoon.
And, in a couple of hours I can be at my brothers in Grand Lake where we hunt.

If I do stay here after I retire - at least I can look out the window at the snow...and not have to go out in it!:)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Inertia?
I love my house, I love my neighborhood. I love the affordability. I love how easy it is to escape the city into the woods. For the most part, the climate is decent. I keep thinking I need to move to Toronto, but then I think of everything Barb described about Southern Ontario, and I can't quite do it.

message 8: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments I've lived in the eastern suburbs of Sydney for about thirty five years.

Mr evie and I bought our apartment in 1991 ,the year before we were married and we have lived here ever since. I love being close to the ocean, and only a 25 minute commute to the city where I work.
I like the quirky mix of people that live here and the old and the new architecture . It has been an excellent area to raise our daughter with plenty of parks, beaches and choices of schools within walking distance.
Now she is older she can enjoy all the benefits of city life.
I like the fact that if I only have a couple of dollars in my pocket I can buy a nice piece of fruit, and in ten minutes I can walk to a beautiful location and and sit and eat it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am jealous of your location Evie. But you can't get there from here!

message 10: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (llooloo) | 1867 comments Born and raised in the county in which I live. I probably wouldn't move even if I could. Living is cheap, and I'm happy with my surroundings. My parents plan on moving to Florida one day, that'll probably be the only reason I move.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I moved to ATL because husband landed a job here and, at the time, his brother lived here which was really great. I really liked the idea of a lot less colder weather in the winter and I have not been disappointed. The summer can be brutally hot but come October, the long autumn sets in and I bask in the weather. I also enjoy not having giant snow storms around my birthday. Other good things are the amenities of a large city along with the close proximity of mountains and coastlines. I wish we lived on a beach with the mountains at my back. However, there is a good chance we may move back to the mitten since both sides of our family live there.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments I have family in ATL and they really like it. They're transplants from CA, trying out the other side of the country.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I always thought I would like living in CA. I have a friend that lives in San Diego and she is always saying she lives in paradise. It is interesting to know that your family has moved from CA to ATL and are enjoying it. Grass is not always greener or in this case, it probably is. :)

message 14: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments My family is here.

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments Short and to the point...and a very good reason!

Happy New Year, Scout!