Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Magic(k) > Spells

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments I have to do a spell under the light of the planet Venus. I know it's known as the evening, and morning star, but I'm not sure if this still applies in India. Does anyone here know about when Venus is in the sky in the different hemispheres?

message 2: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments I don't suppose it's the one closest to the moon at dusk? That's the one I ended up doing my spell under.

message 3: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments description

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments I think the bright star (or rather planet) visible near the moon at dusk was Jupiter - Venus appears much brighter and larger in comparison - stunning.

If you need Venus I think dawn is best at the moment.

message 5: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Oh poopsididdle. I had suspected as much, when we were coming back from the local restaurant at nine, and the same planet was still following the moon, but now at its zenith. I remembered that Venus is best visible near the horizon.

But it was weird. My spell still worked... Three hours later I had a result.

message 6: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments And it turns out, my roommate, whom I'd always assumed to be ignorant of such things, was right. He said that Venus was brighter than Jupiter, and I argued with him, and he was like, "whatever, you're the pagan." How embarrassing.

message 7: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments For future ref try using this:
http://www.stellarium.org/
Use your grid ref for how the sky should look where you are.
There are similar apps for fancy phones that you can point at the sky if you are that way inclined.

message 8: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Unfortunately I can't download any new software, because my C drive is crammed. I was hoping for an online solution. Thanks tons though. It looks like a great application.

message 9: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Here's a link about stars visible around the Moon at the moment that I just added to the Stargazing thread. Glad your spell worked :)

message 10: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "For future ref try using this:
http://www.stellarium.org/
Use your grid ref for how the sky should look where you are.
There are similar apps for fancy phones that you can point at the sky if you a..."

Modern magic. Am I the only one who feels that it can go too far for Pagans? It's a little like viewing a special event through the lens of a camera because one doesn't want to miss a good photo opportunity - somehow some of the emotion is lost, even though one has the pictures to remember the day by.

message 11: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Yes, I'm going to ask venus to reveal herself to me in the sky, and not be quite so technical. I think it's better to have a little faith as well.

message 12: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Venus is extraordinarily lovely - huge and very bright indeed - when she's visible, the WOW! factor will almost certainly confirm her identity.

message 13: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Aaron wrote: "But it was weird. My spell still worked... Three hours later I had a result..."

Or did it?
The wished for result may have occurred, but was there cause and effect?
Co-inky-dink?
If it was magic(k) then the planet was irrelevant in the spell...if you're being chaotic then the belief it was the correct planet was more important than the planet actually being the right one.
Keep the diary and observe the misses as well as the hits.

message 14: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Nell wrote: "Modern magic. Am I the only one who feels that it can go too far for Pagans?"

Humbug!
We are in the 21st cent. and using computers to mutter to each other across the aether.
They are merely tools...like an astrolabe or almanac.

message 15: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Old-Bararossa wrote: Humbug!

The instant answer is too easy for me - more satisfying by far (and more memorable) to root around a little (OK, on the Internet...) - the Eureka! moment is definitely better.

And pointing an app at a star would seem disrespectful (Ha - I know what you are - no mystery at all...)

Nell, happy to be the only one :)

message 16: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Keep the diary and observe the misses as well as the hits."

That's a very interesting idea. I have a feeling that could be very informative.

message 17: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments And pointing an app at a star would seem disrespectful (Ha - I know what you are - no mystery at all...)

That's interesting that you mention that Nell. I had a dream about a locale God who doesn't like to be represented in statuary or iconography. I was attempting to view one of his idols through a pair of binoculars, when the statue came to life, took the form of a green aztec warrior, and crossing three worlds, came to get me. As he raised the axe, I raised my left hand, (the hand of wrath in Hindu symbolism,) levitated, and uttered a silent syllable, and he vanished. I don't know what the entire dream means, but it made me think twice about viewing the divine through an apparatus.

message 18: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Taking advice from Barbarossa I thought I'd keep a bit of a log here. I got up at five in the morning to do the spell under the light of venus, (not being completely sure what time she's supposed to emerge). I did it last Friday morning, which is the day which is sacred to her.

Having climbed up my roof, and drawn all my diagrams I realised Venus was nowhere in sight, and Mars was directly overhead, so I aborted and went back to bed.

message 19: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Barbarossa, I thought you might be interested to know, it seems the mental outlook is more powerful than the external elements. Most of the spell which have worked seem to be based on whatever my conception, or misconception was at the time.

message 20: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Aaron, did you notice that Orion the Hunter was aiming his bow towards Taurus last night (with Jupiter passing...)? Amazing.

message 21: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Aaron, Stellar Magic: A Practical Guide to the Rites of the Moon, Planets, Stars and Constellations by Payam Nabartz is free for Kindle at the moment. It's published by Avalonia and looks good.

message 22: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Aaron wrote: "Barbarossa, I thought you might be interested to know, it seems the mental outlook is more powerful than the external elements. Most of the spell which have worked seem to be based on whatever my c..."

Ah-ha!
Jump on the chaos current then sir!

message 23: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Jump on the chaos current then sir!"
I really really really, wanna zigazig ah!

message 24: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Nell wrote: "Aaron, did you notice that Orion the Hunter was aiming his bow towards Taurus last night "
Unfortunately I missed it Nell. I wonder what it meant.

message 25: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Jupiter is close to the Moon again tonight.

message 26: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Cool Nell. Hopefully we'll have a clear sky tonight.

message 27: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) Does anyone know of any beginner spells with little to no ingredients and without candles?

message 28: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Julia, I'd recommend learning to walk before running...by that I mean: learn to focus, learn to meditate, read loads, sharpen the sword of the mind. No paraphernalia needed.
Then look at the magic(k) stuff.
Also, before doing "spells", think about what the desired result would be...then think about how to achieve it. Sometimes more mundane ways of getting the result work fine.
Lastly, not all magic(k) is, well, magic(k)...look at this for example...it still works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh...

message 29: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Julia, I'd recommend learning to walk before running...by that I mean: learn to focus, learn to meditate, read loads, sharpen the sword of the mind. No paraphernalia needed.
Then look at the magic(..."

I meditate ( and I can see auras too!) what beginner books would you recommend? Please keep in mind that I have nobody to help me because I live in a catholic family. Thank you!

message 30: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Sep 18, 2013 04:18AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Not a wiccan so can't help you on the beginner books really...
Anyone else got pointers?
Maybe start a new thread on core texts and beginner/entry level stuff?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Spells? Incantations? Can anyone elaborate on how these are an important function of Pagan worship?

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Emerald | 37 comments Hi Julia.

The sky's the limit on books. Me personally, I'd walk into a few new age bookshops and play with the books and find one that feels right to you. If I had to buy you one as a present, I love the series by Chris Penziak (sp?). He's young but seems to have an incredible amount of wisdom in this area, in a carefully guided and lengthy course. Beyond that I'd invest $1 in the ipad/android app "Insight Timer" which I use daily. Me personally I haven't given up on my Zen meditation, so my fav meditation books are found in the Zen section, which I integrate with my Wiccan practice. Hope that helps. Michael Emerald

message 33: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments I thought candles were a staple in Catholic households. At least in Catholicism, there's some overlap; candles, incense, statuary. Presbyterians are very stark about accessories.

I'd recommend sitting with your eyes closed and watching your breath go in and out for about five minutes. There's also an incredible benefit to listening to the sounds around you. Starting with the loudest sound, and working your way down to the faintest. Eventually you can start tuning into aspects of nature, like birds, and the sound of rushing water, wind etcetera. I've actually used this technique to attract birds when I was birdwatching a lot. It's way more effective than the Audubon Society Birdcaller.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Candles are staples in our home, and I'm Presbyterian. We are not stark about accessories. That's a blanket statement, Aaron.

We also have the same relaxation techniques, such as guided imagery or sound therapy. I also enjoy bird watching, since our yard is flooded with so many types of birds.

The only incense in our home is in the bathroom...and it doesn't get used.

message 35: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) Aaron wrote: "I thought candles were a staple in Catholic households. At least in Catholicism, there's some overlap; candles, incense, statuary. Presbyterians are very stark about accessories.

I'd recommend si..."

Yes, but if my parents saw me doing a ritual with candles...they'd know I believed in Wicca and they'd send me to bible school or something.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, I see where you're coming from, Julia.

message 37: by Little (new)

Little Miss Esoteric (littlemissesoteric) | 1116 comments Don't Rosicrucians use a candle as a form of meditation or contact with their god? E.g Tori Amos at the beginning of 'God': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQFe_b...

message 38: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Not a wiccan so can't help you on the beginner books really...
Anyone else got pointers?
Maybe start a new thread on core texts and beginner/entry level stuff?"

Good idea, OB, I'll start a new thread later.

message 39: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Aaron, bear in mind that most of what I know about Presbyterianism, and Catholicism, is from Wind At My Back.

message 40: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Little, I'm embarrassed to say, I had no idea that first scene was from Rosicrucianism. And me a rabid Tori fan. Shameful.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

@Aaron

Wind At My Back....I think I watched that a few times.

Any way, no problem, Aaron.

message 42: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments I took the chance that you might have heard of it, since we're both Canadian.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I recall watching the show. Where in Canada are you? I'm in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

Two Aaron's from Canada. Can they handle us?:)

message 44: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Ha! Good question. I actually live in India now, but I was born in Toronto.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never been to Toronto...or India. Haha.