Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Something very interesting I was listening to on Minnesota Public Radio....

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gabby What? That can't be true. My parents would've preferred a son? No way.

Rebecca I don't know, my father had 4 children, 2 sets 20 years apart. The two oldest are boys that are 22 months apart, then there is my sister and I who are 2 years apart. The boys and girls have different moms. From what my mother says, my father was very pleased to have managed to "get the plumbing on the inside" lol. I don't know about the soundness of this theory...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds insane.

message 4: by Anum (last edited Dec 26, 2012 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anum You know what in my country what you say clearly applies... The birth of a daughter is a moment of dispair and the birth of a son is a reason to rejoice. However, I believe that generalising and saying that all parents are like this and all parents want to only have sons is not only ridiculous but also very offensive. <---- a note to the author/artist on the radio.

I have seen many people in real life who, after having a couple of sons desire to have a little girl of their own too. I have seen mothers of baby girls being truly happy that they have a little doll to dress up and have fun with. I have seen fathers too who adore their daughters believing them to be the light in their lives. As a result, I would say that your theory is partially valid.

I completely agree with you that Rowling is more than a bit of a feminist (her depiction of Hermione is a clear proof of that). However, in Ginny Weasley's case she has not chosen to do something that is a complete reversal of what ALWAYS happens in our society. She has just chosen to depict the less likely scenario, because as much as I wish it was not so, MOST of the people in my society at least desire to have a son rather than a daughter. She just wanted to show the world that there are people in the world who wanted a daughter as badly as most people want a son. She wanted to tell such parents that they should be thankful that they have been gifted with a daughter!

I woould say this though, your powers to relate real life situations to Harry Potter are quite exemplary! :D :D

Julia Mrs Weasley was very happy when Ginny was born, I bet. I don't know anyone who'd tell me- I'd rather want a boy than a girl.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly I had no idea I was supposed to want a baby boy; I must be out of the mainstream. When I was a 40 year old woman pregnant with what I thought would be my only child, I resigned myself to being humble and happy with a healthy child of either gender and I told my OB/GYN that I wanted to be surprised. However, during an ultrasound my daughter performed a spraddle-legged somersault that made her gender pretty obvious. From that moment forward I was delirious with joy that I was carrying a girl child. My family has a very strong matriarchal structure, so to me it has always seemed natural to want a daughter.

message 7: by Nichola (last edited Dec 26, 2012 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nichola I would love to see the authors empirical evidence for this because i would imagine its going to insult an awful lot of people. I come from a two child family, myself and my brother, and my parents have never shown a preference for either child. Indeed, when I was born, my father was the first to hold me, we were offered the same opportunities, my brother used to play with my prams and dolls early on, later we both opted to take martial arts lessons and it was the same throughout our lives. It still is for that matter.

This sounds like the authors rather sexist opinion to me. Also I was of the impression that the weaseleys had so many children because they wanted a daughter as well as sons.

Jeni Sometimes, people have a lot of kids because they love kids. I always thought the Weasley's were in this lot.

They love all their children fiercely. Even when Percy was being a git, Mrs. Weasley's boggart showed him dead on the floor. I imagine by the time Ginny comes along, it's been 20 years of child-bearing for Mrs. Weasley and they decided to stop having children.

I've never felt it was better to have one gender child over the other. It feels like an old school thought process to proclaim that men want boys and women want girls or even boys more than girls. Most people want a healthy child.

Jeni Feven wrote: "Many parents would still love them, but some might have an opposite reaction. The parent could become even embarrassed with each passing year. In no way I am trying to blame parents, I just wanted people to also understand that good intentions sometimes cease to be so...well, good. "

I see where you are coming from, but I really have yet to meet a parent of a special needs child that isn't fiercely proud and protective of them. Be it illness or developmental or physical, most parents love and adore their child. I think there are rare cases where parents are not deserving of these beautiful souls, but for the most part, I think those children are more precious to us because of their needs.

I still have never heard of someone saying they wished they never could have children. Yes, people choose not to, but not many wish the choice was taken from them.

I think the Weasleys would have been just as happy with another son. They just love all their children.

Gabby I agree. They're a happy family and i don't remember Mr and Mrs Weasly Favoriting Ginny over everyone else. It seemed pretty even.