Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Fixing links to bookstores

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Hi there,

I have trouble linking my books to the various bookstores. I can find the books in the bookstores if I search but can't seem to make the links from Goodreads to the bookstore work.

Example:
Baron of Dragon's Reach

This is where it is in Barnes and Noble Baron of Dragon's Reach

Thanks.

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 25, 2012 10:57AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It's the isbn10; a nook edition bnid starting with 294 does get put into the isbn13 field but isbn10 gets left blank for the nook books starting with 294.

If a nook book with regular isbn13 (978...) do put isbn10 and isbn13 both.

message 3: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments It should work now. Barnes & Noble use a dummy ISBN that starts with 294. However the importers often bring in B&N editions with an ISBN-10 that doesn't actually exist. Because even B&N doesn't recognize those ISBN-10 the links don't work. However once you remove them and leave just the ISBN-13 that starts with 294 everything should work.

message 4: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Thank you for this info. Very helpful.

So how do I get it show on both Barnes and Nobel AND Amazon and other books sites?

It seems to work for one or the other but not both. Is that right?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Each edition will either work for the Nook/B&N link (if it has an "ISBN13" starting with 294), or for Kindle/Amazon (if it has an ASIN). So that book has two editions: http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...

message 6: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Okay, I get it.

Now I feel kind of bad asking for this on a holiday, (so no rush), but when you get a change would you be able to make the second editions for my other 3 short stories, too? (or tell me how I can do that myself?)
The Misspelled Charm
To Capture Love
Daughter of the Sorcerer King

And thank you very much for all of your swift and helpful assistance.

message 7: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Actually with the exception of The Misspelled Charm, I fixed all of your books this morning. For us to add the B&N and Amazon editions we'll need the ASIN and the BNID (starting with 294).

message 8: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Wow, thanks.
For The Misspelled Charm:
the ISBN is 1110762154
the ASIN is B0081QL11C
the BNID is 2940014414531

message 9: by lafon حمزة (last edited Dec 25, 2012 02:43PM) (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Great. You can see all editions of your book here: http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...
The only thing is the ISBN you provided is invalid. Are you sure it's the correct one?

message 10: by Shereen (last edited Dec 26, 2012 06:10AM) (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments I think you just made all my Christmas wishes come true.

And the ISBN was this (my mistake):
978-1-61217-174-6 Digital

Thank you so much.

Have a great rest of the holiday!

message 11: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments So I didn't get back until now (I got to go see Les Misérables!), but that ebook ISBN was already in the database, so you're good to go. Enjoy your holidays. :)

message 12: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 122 comments Les Misérables sounds like an awesome reward for your hard work. :)

Thanks.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Merriam (joannemerriam) | 10 comments Hello, all. I am wondering how to get the links to the bookstores to reflect the edition of the book, e.g. Apocalypse Now: Poems and Prose from the End of Days is the Amazon/Kindle edition (B00ASBZ24K) but the bookstore link is to Barnes & Noble, and doesn't work (whereas it works from the B&N edition because it is searching for the right thing). Is it possible to specify the bookstore that should be listed first for each edition? Thanks.

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments The links are correctly set up, they do not change depending on edition selected. The green links are customizable by users not by books/author

The link to amazon will only work on the Kindle edition, the link to BN only on the ebook with ISBN starting 249.

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Merriam (joannemerriam) | 10 comments Thanks. Should I be adding something like "(Kindle Edition)" to the title so it is clear to readers which one they need to click on to get their preferred file format?

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments No, the title field is for the title, the format is set to Kindle which is correct

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Merriam (joannemerriam) | 10 comments OK - thanks.