Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Why some authors can break the "rules"

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susana (new)

Susana Ellis (susanaellisauthor) | 18 comments I just recently concluded a series of 12 blogs on "deal breakers" in historical romances. My recent post discusses why I think some authors can get away with breaking them.

I'd love to get your opinions!

http://susanaellisauthor.wordpress.co...

message 2: by David P (last edited Dec 27, 2012 08:01PM) (new)

David P Forsyth (daidpforsyth) | 111 comments Your topic caught my eye, so let me comment on the "rules" and how they seem to be changing. I'm an indie author and I have released my first three 100,000 word novels in series this year. It started as a hobby, but I hope to make it a profession.

Anyway, the "rules" used to be that authors were at the mercy of publishers and agents. Those were the gatekeepers between writers and readers. Any fledgling author would jump at an offer from a publisher, but that is not always the case today.

I actually turned down an offer in November for all three of my books (the 3rd sight unseen) because I did not want the publisher to get the lion's share of the profits on release of the 3rd book -- since it would only be purchased by existing fans. I figured I could make more in the first month of release as an indie than the offered advance (at far higher percent of sales too).

Well, it looks like I was right. fifteen days after release I have already surpassed the offered $1500 advance on Deluge of the Dead and its release has reKindled the demand for the 1st and 2nd books in the series too.

I'm not saying that I won't consider offers from a publisher, but publishers need to come to grips with the fact that authors have new avenues to reach their audience. I think eBooks are as revolutionary as the printing press and open a whole new world for authors and readers to explore.