Books on the Nightstand discussion

E-reading during take-off/landing

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa W (last edited Dec 24, 2012 09:57PM) (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments I recently flew to be with family over Christmas and while taking-off I was able to read on my e-reader with no problem (I had it in airplane mode), in that the flight attendant didn't get on my case for me reading it as we took-off. About an hour later as we were descending, I was told to turn it off a number of times while we descended. I even got a scolding from the person who was sitting in the same row as me (there was a seat between us) about turning off my e-reader. Almost a year ago, as I was landing I was able to read while we were landing with no issue from the flight attendant.

This time I made a big stink about it, trying to tell them that I wasn't receiving a wifi signal at all and honestly I didn't see what the big deal was about and am wondering what you do during take-off/landing situations with an e-reader. Do you read despite the fact that you have been told to turn your device off or do you do as the flight attendant says and not read your e-reader during take-off/landing.

Personally I feel that if the wifi signal is off you should be able to use your e-reader. I should note that the device I was earlier in the year was a Kobo Touch (similar to a Kindle) and the device I was using now was a Kobo Vox (similar to a Kindle Fire).

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Regardless of whether or not the device could cause interference, I would follow the instructions of the flight crew. I'd hate to find myself on a no-fly list.

message 3: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments But why then are you allowed to turn on your phone and other devices when the plane has landed? Personally I think its ludicrous and if they really wanted to not have us use them during take-off and landing, they would have banned them completely from the plane (and yes, I have had my computer on while in flight and my wifi was still on at the time when my computer was on).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

message 5: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments I have read that & I did have my cell phone on, but it was in airplane mode

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
"Another reason for electronic devices to be turned off during takeoff and landing is that, even though there is little likelihood of a CD player interfering with the aircraft’s operations, flight attendants cannot monitor every single electronic device aboard the aircraft. They do not have the training to ascertain whether an electronic device might be an interfering agent or not. Therefore, the simplest solution is to have all such devices turned off during takeoff and landing."

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

To further clarify, the airlines usually ask that all electronic devices, i.e. anything with an off/on switch be turned off during takeoffs and landings. This includes video game units, cell phones (even in airplane mode), e-readers, etc. There is an internet rumor that the FAA policy is outdated and should be overturned; but I have no information as to the validity of that argument.

Personally, I would turn if off under the "better safe than sorry" idea; plus I would rather not have my device confiscated (which the airline doeshave the authority to do) or, as Eric mentioned, being placed on a no-fly list.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2764 comments Mod
I'm with Eric and Tanya on this.

When I flew to Santa Cruz I did wonder what I would have done if I had not brought an actual book on the flight with me. That is too long for me to be without reading.

Just because they have the authority, they are legally right, but not necessarily actually right. But I see no sense in causing a commotion (or battle or war) over 30 minutes of inconvenience.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cwsmith) | 104 comments I always carry a physical book (usually paperback) when I travel in case something unexpected happens and I end up without electronic reading matter.

message 10: by Amy (last edited Dec 26, 2012 07:53AM) (new)

Amy | 463 comments Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "This:

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-all-el..."

Tanya, thanks for posting. I too have always wondered why I can read a physical book but not an ebook during takeoff and landing. As I hate flying and am terrified for my life, I am happy to comply with the better safer than sorry policy for 30 minutes of my flight!

message 11: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 4 comments During most of my flights, they have asked for all electronic devices to be turned off during take-off and landings. Is it possible that the flight attendant just didn't notice at first?

message 12: by Linda (new)

Mocha Spresso wrote: "During most of my flights, they have asked for all electronic devices to be turned off during take-off and landings. Is it possible that the flight attendant just didn't notice at first?"

On that most recent flight to Booktopia Santa Cruz, I realized that I was really uncomfortable in my seat. I mentioned this to the flight attendant and asked if there was a pillow, I felt I was at a bad angle for my back. I was told they did not have pillows.

I did the best I could for the flight.

I was stunned when just before the landing the attendant asked me to put my seat in the upright position. What? I never reclined it. I can't sit that way. So, why didn't she notice it was reclined when we took off? Because they have a lot to do with a lot of people and not a lot of time.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) Cindy wrote: "I always carry a physical book (usually paperback) when I travel in case something unexpected happens and I end up without electronic reading matter."

Me too. And also because when traveling out of the country some of my google books (now extinct and coverted to Kobo) wouldn't work, even though they were downloaded. One of my friends speculated it might be because the books were limited to the US but I don't know if that makes sense. Afterall, I think I can buy new ebooks when I am traveling if I have my iPad with me.

message 14: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments Mocha Spresso wrote: "During most of my flights, they have asked for all electronic devices to be turned off during take-off and landings. Is it possible that the flight attendant just didn't notice at first?"

Nope, because they were in their jump seats when we were taking off and I waited until we were finished with the speal about what we needed to do in the event of an emergency before I "opened up" my book and hence why I was able to read during take off.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 91 comments Turn it off and don't argue with the flight crew. It is definitely not worth the risk of pissing them off. Flight crew have enough to deal with without arguing the fine points of e-readers, or any other of the myriad electronic devices that people bring on flights. They are just following FAA and their own airline's regulations and have full authority to confiscate your device or boot you off the plane for arguing with them. Sad as it is, in this day and age you just don't mess around with instructions from the flight crew. Save yourself the aggravation and trouble and just follow instructions, and always slip a magazine into your carry-on bag. In a pinch, read the airline magazine or look at all the crazy stuff in the Flight Mall magazine. I know it doesn't make logical sense, but then taking off your shoes during security screenings doesn't either!

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda MacCabe (amaccabe) | 1 comments I was wondering this recently as well, but I closed my kindle and put it away for take off and landing. It's usually only 15 minutes either way so it's not that big of a deal. They're also the most nerve wracking parts of flying for me... So I'm usually gripping the seat and too distracted to read anyway. :-P

message 17: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (sabrahb) Just turn it off. Is it really worth it to argue with someone following the rules and regulations they are given. Voice your concerns to the airlines decision makers.

message 18: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments If I want to read on my e-reader, I should be able to.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Melissa W wrote: "If I want to read on my e-reader, I should be able to."

You are able, you just make your choice for consequences.

message 20: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments I thought somebody would at least support me and yes there are studies that show that the use of electronics during take-off and landings doesn't interfere with the instruments.

message 21: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (sabrahb) You should discuss it with the airlines not the flight attendants. They don't make rules they just enforce them. We all love our ereaders no one is against you. All I'm saying is fight your battle through the right channels.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Melissa W wrote: "I thought somebody would at least support me and yes there are studies that show that the use of electronics during take-off and landings doesn't interfere with the instruments."

Melissa,

As far as flying, I'm an overweight woman who walks with a cane because of back and other issues. The worst thing I'm asked to do is take off my shoes. I don't like it. It's not easy for me - many airports I've been through don't have a place for me to sit to get the shoes back on, but I do what is necessary and plan ahead to make the flight experience as pain-free as possible for both me and other passengers.

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Melissa W wrote: "I thought somebody would at least support me and yes there are studies that show that the use of electronics during take-off and landings doesn't interfere with the instruments."

Yes, I agree. I'm converted. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, saw the episode of Mythbusters that busted it.

But still, the right answer is to follow the rules. Not to do so could delay a flight and make you a pariah. Not only with the flight crew, but with everyone else on the flight, who I guarantee you will not be amused, and will not sympathize with your contrary shenanigans.

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen Dunn (hmonkeyruns) | 110 comments I'm with Eric. Follow the rules.

You might want to read your ereader, other people might want to smoke. Neither are allowed. Get over it and bring a paperback or a magazine.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments You can't always do what you want to do. This is part of living in a society. Reading on an e-reader with the wi-fi turned off may be perfectly safe during take-off and landing, but do you really expect the flight crew to inspect each person's device to make sure that it is in the proper mode? How much time would that take? Then, they would have to stare down each person with a device to make sure that the person didn't switch modes because they got a sudden urge to purchase a new book.

In this day and age, flight crews have enough to do and worry about without getting hassled. You know the rules. You agree to the rules when you purchase the ticket. If you break them, be prepared to be thrown off the plane, or have your device confiscated.

For goodness sake, bring a paper book or a couple of magazines.

message 26: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (kerrylenny) | 3 comments Takeoff and landing is when I peruse the Skymall catalog or airline magazine. I have found many a wonderful article in the airline magazines so I highly recommend them. I have put my life in the hands of the flight crew who have been trained to get me to my destination safely - I defer to them when I am on that plane. Better safe than sorry.

I don't like it when people tell me how to do my job so I try to avoid telling others how to do theirs.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen Allen (tetaknits) | 16 comments I usually bring a magazine (Reader's Digest is good for me) and one slim paperback on the plane to read during take-off and landing. I'll also look at the sky mall or airline magazine. Sometimes I knit.

I turn my phone off (if I remember) and turn both my Touch and iPad to airplane mode. I close them both and put in the pocket in front of me, but don't usually bother to turn them completely off.

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments I usually bring a magazine or a few articles I've put aside to read for take off and landing till I can turn on my ereader.