Israel SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Book Club Reads > The Hobbit - December 2012

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 218 comments Mod
Who has read the book?
Who has seen the film?

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 25 comments i have read 3/4 of teh book and hopefully i shall watch the movie very soon...

message 3: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 314 comments Mod
I read The Hobbit. It's kind of a boring book, I think it's more suitable to 8-10 years old kids.

I saw the movie about a week and a half ago. The movie is good, with great acting and visual effects. Of course it's not in the same quality as the LOTR movies, but it's very good.

message 4: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) I read it as a child with my dad, but haven't read it since, so I'm rereading it.

THE MOVIE WAS GREAT
But I felt it was too much a prequel to LOTR instead of a standalone story.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 64 comments I read the book over ten years ago in high school. The movie was just as I expected and the visual effects were nice. I'm not really sure what else people were hoping for. We already know it's going to be 3 long movies, we know it's a short book aimed for young readers, and we know what's going to happen anyway. With that in mind I don't see how the movie could be improved save for changing the story completely.

BTW the dwarves trying to reclaim their home is based on the Jews during the middle ages and their warrior-like nature is based on the Jews in the bible.

message 6: by Esther (new)

My mother read The Hobbit to me when I was a child, most memorable was her reading of Gollum!
We studied again at school when I was about 13 and I ccouldn't finish it though I got excellent marks for my book report!
I read it yet again in my ealy 20s and enjoyed it, found it easier to get through.
Now I seem to have 'lost' my copy and life seems to be working against my seeing the film though I will win in the end.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel652) | 10 comments I saw the movie and loved it.

message 8: by Simcha (new)

Simcha Lazarus (sclazarus) | 258 comments Mod
While I appreciate all that Tolkein has done for epic fantasy I can't say that I'm a big fan of his work.

I started the Hobbit yesterday and I'm not enjoying it anymore than I did The Lord of the Rings, which I suffered through in college. The characters aren't particularly interesting and the events that take place aren't exciting enough to make me want to keep reading. But I'll probably keep going at it just so I can say that I read it.

message 9: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 314 comments Mod
LoTR is much better than The Hobbit.

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 25 comments i got bored while reading the book a chapter or so after gollum

today i watched the movie and wasbVERY impressed... the way they re-created it was AMAZING and i love how they addd humor to it.. i found myself laughing in the middle od a fight scene! and the dragon looked SOOOO realistic!!!

i tried reading LotR but the language was too hard for me

message 11: by Esther (new)

We ended up seeing The Hobbit in Yes Planet rather than our local cinema and it was worth it for the picture and sound quality.
The scenery is breathtaking, just as beautiful as LotR if not more so.
Martin Freeman was excellent. Gollum was so creepy
I loved every minute and felt it was just the right length.

message 12: by Simcha (new)

Simcha Lazarus (sclazarus) | 258 comments Mod
I'm still trying to make my way through this book. The group just got captured by goblins for the third time. Does anything else happen in this book other than them getting captured by goblins over and over again?

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 25 comments yeah!!! Gullum! or however you spel his name. i loved guessing the riddles too

message 14: by Esther (new)

Simcha wrote: "I'm still trying to make my way through this book. The group just got captured by goblins for the third time. Does anything else happen in this book other than them getting captured by goblins over..."
The 2 times I DNFed The Hobbit was at the Goblins bits. The story improves greatly once you get out of their clutches.

message 15: by Avi Feygin (new)

Avi Feygin | 6 comments they only get grabbed by goblins once. don't forget it started as a childrens bedtime sort of story. it picks up in the second half.