The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Bookworm Haven > Bookworm Burrows ~ Fave Spots To Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Each of us has that special place where we go to escape the world that we live in. It could be the couch, our beds, even that old rocking chair in the loft. Maybe it's in our heart of hearts, our 'Happy Place' as it was called back in our school days. Maybe there's an ultimate reading place out there that you long for. Wherever, whatever it is, spread the magic, and share it here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Good topic, Leyah!

Well, for physical places, I usually do most of my reading in my bed. It is the comfiest thing with its temperpedic down cover with these huge squashy pillows. I love reading there. If I'm not in my bed, though, I'm curled up on the couch with a bunch of pillows and usually a cup of tea or an apple in my hand. I like being curled around the book when I read. Just a little quirk of mine.

When it comes to a spiritual (if you can call it that) place, I do this thing where I'll sit with my back hunched over and my hands pressed together and I'll stare at something for a long time, like I'm Sherlock Holmes or something. My family knows better than to interrupt me when I'm in my "mind palace" :). I like being all straightened out when I'm in my palace.

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I read in my bed most of the time, if not there, then on the couch or by the fireplace:)

message 4: by Aurora, Co-Moderator (new)

Aurora | 994 comments Mod
I read anywhere- at home, in the passenger seat of a car, in class(haha)...My favourite place, though, is probably my bed. On cold, rainy days, that is.
On days with nice weather, I like to either go read in the park or on my balcony(I live in a unit).
Fresh air is relaxing. =)

message 5: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
My favourite place is the bed or outside under a tree when it is nice and sunny.

I love reading in the car, especially on long drives or at the beach whenever we go.

message 6: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) In my bed I guess ... (sorry so boring x3) but I don't often get to read in bed - if I'm reading, I try and read outside, so that I get some fresh air xD.

message 7: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I am the kind of person who hates reading 1. with lots of noise, as it does not help me to concentrate and 2. on the move, as i prefer to sit quietly.

In the silence i can loose myself within the pages and escape reality.

I am usually so lost within the storyline that if interupted i tend to be in a daze, not really focusing on life around me as my mind is still elsewhere; plucked from my body as it remains in the book. The best way i can describe this feeling is like in 'The Neverending Story' where dreams come to life and you become a part of the story.

message 8: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (bettycross) I prefer to read lying down on my bed. I can't read in a car. It makes me nauseous, literally. On the other hand, I have no problem reading on a plane or a train.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (velliya) | 424 comments My grandmother gave us one of her special armchairs and I do half on my reading there and the other half anywhere else :)

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 97 comments i think a better question is, where don't i read? i used to get carsick but i actually acclimated to it by all the reading i do on the bus, so now i can sit in the backwards- sideways-facing seats and read on happily while my seatmates look on in horror.

my two favorite places are probably coffee shops and my bed. my bed is right next to my window, so when i open it up i get a nice breeze and it's like having my very own window seat.

Ʈʜэ MɐÐɲΣ§Ꭶ ᏊརƭᏲƗϞ (death_of_the_rebelz) The fantastic thing about public places is unless a person is truly willing to disturb a person sitting behind a chair at a library or sidled behind a shelf and a wall with their book in possession, even if you are not hidden in your reading spot. You are alone. This brings me much pleasure, just knowing that.

On the opposing view, family is not quite so considerate. A remedy I have discovered for this has been the sole room within my place of residence that has a effective lock seems to be the restroom. And in that room, I have found the bathtub to be an effective escape and can be made to be quite comfortable if setup correctly.

message 12: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Ahh, yes, I love reading in the bath.

message 13: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Ha, you too? Nice.

Ʈʜэ MɐÐɲΣ§Ꭶ ᏊརƭᏲƗϞ (death_of_the_rebelz) Glad to know I am not alone as a tub reader.

message 15: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Never! :)

message 16: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Of course you're not!

Ʈʜэ MɐÐɲΣ§Ꭶ ᏊརƭᏲƗϞ (death_of_the_rebelz) I suppose I knew that, but it does not hurt to gain reassurance. Thanks.

message 18: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments You're welcome

message 19: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments I personally like my bed, though I gain no privacy given that my door doesn't have a lock and my parents can be obtrusive. I hope that at some point I will get a large fluffy chair in a corner, adjacent to bookshelves and with a reading light, perhaps by a window. I would curl up there when I needed a getaway spot.. Ah.. imagining :) For now I'll stick with my bed.

message 20: by Daphne (new)

Daphne I actually like reading in the bathroom. Ok, I know, it's gross. but my bathroom smells great, it's privite and , call me crazy but i just love reading in there! and there is also a stool that i sit on...not the toilet

message 21: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments Have no shame! If I'm desperate for privacy, I'll do that as well (only room in the house with a lock >.

message 22: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I highly regard my privacy and quiet time alone. Alone, to sit and read for hours.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

My bed, out on the beach, and in this big armchair we have in the living room.

νєяαℓι∂αιиє  | 111 comments Bed, and couch. Although I have been known to sit in a tree. XD It's fun. :D

νєяαℓι∂αιиє  | 111 comments Lucinda wrote: "I highly regard my privacy and quiet time alone. Alone, to sit and read for hours."

Yes! Definitely!

message 26: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments νєяαℓι∂αιиє wrote: "Bed, and couch. Although I have been known to sit in a tree. XD It's fun. :D"

I would sit in a tree if my trees were available to climb! Gum trees have very little branches.

message 27: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments There's this huge tree on my grandparents' farm that's perfect for climbing. There's even this tiny little walkway you can go through, then I like to balance between a couple branches and read.

message 28: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Ooh! That sounds like some kind of fairytale tree :) When I was in primary school, there was an awesome climbing tree and I would read all break instead of play with friends :P

νєяαℓι∂αιиє  | 111 comments WordlesslyAmazed03 wrote: "There's this huge tree on my grandparents' farm that's perfect for climbing. There's even this tiny little walkway you can go through, then I like to balance between a couple branches and read."

Now that is awesome!

On the farm I used to live on, there was a HUGE camphorlaurel tree, now that is a wonderful tree! (At least, I hope that's how you spell camphorlaurel...)

Where I live now though, there aren't really any suitable trees... Not unless you want to walk a long way...

message 30: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments My whole backyard is basically a small forest now. The only climbable tree is this gigantic pine, so not very comfortable.

νєяαℓι∂αιиє  | 111 comments No, I wouldn't imagine it being comfortable. XD A small forest would be really fun though! All those small shady places to sit and be alone in. And all the animals and birds that must be there!

message 32: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Oh, yeah. You wouldn't believe how many animals. Bear in mind, we live smack dab in the middle of the city.

νєяαℓι∂αιиє  | 111 comments In the middle of the city??? Oh. XD Oh well, still cool though. :D

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I love reading on the beach :)

message 35: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I love to read on my bed in my room ~ my personal sanctuary! :)

message 36: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Howell (kristin_howell) I have a chaise lounge in a "corner" of my room (where my closet comes out and creates a small corner). It's in front of the window, so I get natural light during the day and have a tall floor lamp for night-time. On the wall to my left, the side of the closet, I have a long black curtain and it gives it a feel of being in a kind of reading "nook" that makes it so comfortable. That's my favorite spot :-)
The perfect spot would be a little recess in the wall where I could curl up with my book and some coffee or cocoa. I have to create my own little recesses for now, though, haha.

message 37: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Kristin wrote: "I have a chaise lounge in a "corner" of my room (where my closet comes out and creates a small corner). It's in front of the window, so I get natural light during the day and have a tall floor lamp..."

That sounds lovely!!

I love in old property's (such as Victorian/ Gorgian style) window seats ~ perhaps one day i'll have a house with a windowseat to sit on and read :)

message 38: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
My favourite spot I've read in was an old grove, that used to be beside my school. Our English teacher used to take our class out there every week to read poetry beneath the leafy canopy. It was so, so beautiful, and utterly peaceful.

message 39: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brennan (readingmytroublesaway) | 11 comments The place I read most is in my bed. No one really bothers me when I'm there and I'm always comfy. I read on my hammock and porch swing as well. But really anywhere I can curl up be alone and escape into a new world. Somewhere I can clear my mind and not have to think about anything else.

message 40: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Well, I started college this year so I had to leave my favorite spots at home behind. But I do read quite often in my bed and in the library.

message 41: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments H99 wrote: "As long as you're reading, it's still a good spot, right?"

Exactly:)

message 42: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments H99 wrote: "As long as you're reading, it's still a good spot, right?"

Amen sista.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this really bad habit of reading on the couch. It doesn't sound bad does it? Oh but it is because I can't seem to sit normally like a normal person. I have this thing where I'll be hanging off the edge of the couch so that I'm nearly hanging upside down, but not quite and I'll read like that... :/

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank gosh. I thought I was the only one.

message 45: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
I love reading at the beach. I tried this on my trip to the Gold Coast - and the combination of the salty sea breeze, the sounds of the waves in the background...it was perfect :)

message 46: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments So do I! Whenever I go out of town and am able to go to the beach I love to sit and read.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I like reading in bed

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (taelianaofthewind) | 21 comments Lovely topic!
Once I've strolled around in my backyard for a while I like to flop down in my so-called "Catherine Morland Nook" which is positioned in a small patch of ivy in an inlet around my yard. Below mulberry and apple trees, sun filters in...the ivy is cool and the mulberries ripe for the picking. Ah, it's divine.

Either that or in a wing-back chair.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

More than anywhere else, I like to read in a moving vehicle. When I was in public school, I had a very long bus ride. I was shy, so didn't talk much. I found a quiet place in books, and would pull one out of my backpack as soon as I boarded. I still carry one with me whenever I need to get somewhere.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura I love to read in my bed or on my sofa. I cannot read in moving vehicles or anywhere else really as I get migraines reading outside, in the sun and I get travel sick easily.

« previous 1