UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Where did your books take you this year? And a thank you message to all the writers out there

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Okay it’s not going to be one of those “50 best ZYX of the year” post. But I thought I’d look back on 2012. While reading’s not always been a priority (especially when work got in the way), it’s always been a source of escapism, enjoyment, and relaxation. And believe me, we always need to feel those things…

I just thought this year I’d see how far I’ve travelled thanks to the books. Covered quite a lot of ground, and no need to say, that would have cost me quite a fortune in fares from British Airways and Tardis Travels (sounds much nicer than “Time Machine” don’t you think?)…

So the year actually started with Bournemouth, which is kind of “down the road” from me, with Karl Jones’ Shattered. And horror stayed very close to home with Stormwreck, by Darren Humphries, that saw beautiful Cornwall become the target of a supernatural evil. But before I came back home via London (Ian Ayris’s Abide With Me) and the charming village of Tollesbury (Tollesbury Time Forever by Stuart Ayris), I saw a few countries :)

I travelled across my beloved France in a bid to help Lorne kick The Unicorn’s ass for killing my darling Pete (Mel Comley’s Final Justice), went to Italy to look for a rare and precious painting and solve another crime (Seb Kirby’s Take No More) – Yep me = the best detective *cough*. Then I hopped all the way to Russia to get a taste of vodka and serious Mafia bad boys (who took me back to the US with them). That was through reading Latrivia Nelson’s Dmitry’s Closet. And Kristine Cayne’s Under His Command took me honeymooning to Hawaii (by proxy obviously *sigh*).

But not only did I travel in space, I also travelled in time. My reading featured a very generous and unhealthy dose of historical romance, full of ball gowns and rich manors (yeah I know but got to love good old-fashioned fashion)… I witnessed the horrors of World War II (Steve Robinson’s To The Grave and Robert Craven’s Get Lenin), and then found myself in a rather plausible future where the computers take over our lives (David Wailing’s Auto Series). I learnt survival after a banking crisis in D.D. Chant’s Broken City, ended up running away from mean zombies (Eric Shelman’s Dead Hunger Series), and as if I wasn’t exhausted enough, I witnessed the beginnings of Rapture thanks to John Prescott’s Pray. And then The Curtain fell in Kealan Patrick Burke’s Nemesis and the world got invaded by the dead. Obviously they’re all fictional futures… for now… And that’s not taking into account the ever repetitive time travelling from Marc Nash’s Time After Time, and Iain Wright’s Sea Sick.

I found myself visiting fantasy lands full of dragons and ogres and princesses (Katie Stewart’s The Dragon Box and Sophie Robbins’ Hole in the World), and walking through dark places that fill you with dread and chill you to the core in Jeffrey Kosh’s Stryx and Revenant. Stepped into Shaun Jeffrey’s Shadowland in Dark Seduction and encountered bizarre creatures. And then there’s the other side, as in Mark Faulkner’s Flux, and the horrible Bert who’s indulging in rather vile activities while waiting for you…

I met some loveable characters, and I met some truly dreadful ones. That I still loved. All the books I’ve read this year made me dream, they made me laugh, they made me cry, they made me worry, they made me excited, they made me think, and they made me forget.

This is not a list of recommendations to my peer readers… (Well if you feel inclined to read any of them, by all mean, you’ll get my blessing). But it’s a very heartfelt thank you to all those wonderful writers out there… Writing is no walk in the park, and we readers really appreciate the time and effort you dedicate to your art so we can enjoy it.

Readers and writers, I wish you all wonderful holidays. And may 2013 be under the sign of creativity (for writing) and spare time (for reading).

So that's my post... Now, everyone... Where did your books take you this year?

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments As my characters ( well some of them!) never stop complaining, all my work is set around Wales, and Cumbria.

So I haven't travelled very far at all, I'm afraid. But the writing journey has taken me into uncharted personal realms, and for that i am very grateful.

message 3: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Wow. Great post, Lorraine. I read to escape. I write to dream.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments What a fab post Lorraine, love it. My reading has taken me far and wide too (a lot of similar reads to you too!) but what I have found most is the diverse genres I now read! I really have loved this group for widening my reading horizons :-)

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Mostly what I did was be a dirty voyeur into some HOT sexing.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Mostly what I did was be a dirty voyeur into some HOT sexing."

LMAO!!!!

Lorraine, that was a wonderful post.

Thank you for sharing that!

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments That's an amazing post and an amazing journey!

This year my reading has shown me le meilleur des mondes possibles with Voltaire's Candide, and both the best and worst of times via Charles Dickens and A Tale of Two Cities. I learned how not to write an anthology thanks to Rosen Trevithick's Pompomberry House and found magic and the undead mingling in City of Ghosts. And The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - Zombie Apocalypse Now. And A Madness of Angels.

It's been a great year, and there's a pile of pressies under the tree which I suspect will include even more books to bolster my towering TBR pile!

message 8: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Aww! Thank you Lorri for mentioning Broken City!!! xxx

message 9: by Lorraine (last edited Dec 25, 2012 09:47AM) (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I'm glad people feel like me about books taking them "travelling"... Aren't books the greatest thing, really?

And I'm sorry I didn't mention all the books I've read, there were a bit too many, but if anyone wants to see the list, then just click on my list of books on my profile :)

message 10: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments That's the kind of post that makes authors feel good about what we do.

I didn't get to read very much but my own books took me from nearby Oxford to the edge of space , from personal darkness to the end of the world.

And yes, books are the best things ever, whether reading or writing them.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments I always feel sorry for people who prefer film to books. The problem is that the scenery is so much poorer on film.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Completely agree Geoff.

Darren, I'm grateful to you for allowing me to accompany you on your journeys.

Love you, dood.

message 13: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I think you can love both though.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I agree Peanut.

Some films are wonderful. For instance, we've got the Two Towers on the telly at the moment.

message 15: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Where's the remote gone???

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Lift your arse, Will.

Jeez.

Or have you got one of those silly knob less TVs?

message 17: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 801 comments I journeyed into ...

madness with The Bell Jar
EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) with Purge: Rehab Diaries
anorexia with Wasted
religious extremism with The End of Faith
lesbianism in the 1800s with No Priest But Love

My favourite journery as an author took me to meet Helena Whitbread, editor of The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister. Oh yes :-)

message 18: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Mostly what I did was be a dirty voyeur into some HOT sexing."

Rofl me too in some part.

Hehe literary voyeurs

message 19: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 801 comments Alexandra wrote: "Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Mostly what I did was be a dirty voyeur into some HOT sexing."

Rofl me too in some part.
Hehe literary voyeurs"

Oh gosh, I've only just got that Elle meant via books. ... Was feeling I'd been missing out. ...

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments LOL! Natasha! Is that what you think of me?!

*polishes halo*

Ahem.

message 21: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 801 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "LOL! Natasha! Is that what you think of me?!

I was so impressed. And I'm not removing it from my NY resolutions list now ;-)