What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

MORE OF MY FAVORITES (Favourites) IN SUSPENSE:
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SciFi - Author interviewed to be selected to travel to a distant planet [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian (slowhand) | 2 comments I read this short story in Junior High, 20+ years ago. A man goes to an interview where he discusses travelling to a distant planet, to escape earth's problems. The interviewer tells him that a spaceship will come at a designated time and place to take away a group of belivers. The interviewer explains that the spaceship merely avoids distance, and gives the analogy of two apartments in two different buildings side by side, but to go from one to the other requires going down to the street and around the block. Anyone know this story? *Spoiler Alert* The story ends unresolved, with the man and his fellow belivers, having disposed of all their earthly possessions, standing on a hill top waiting.

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments This could be "Of Missing Persons" by Jack Finney http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Missi...

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian (slowhand) | 2 comments Yes! That's it - 'Of Missing Persons'. Thanks Andy, much appreciated. I don't know why but I hve thought of this many times over the years. Cheers, mate!

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments "Of Missing Persons" seems to stick in people's minds - I've identified it for other people in other forums. Finney is a great writer.