AfterEllen.com Book Club discussion

Love, in Theory: Ten Stories
This topic is about Love, in Theory
December 2012 > Love, In Theory: Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill G. Was anyone able to read this one? Any thoughts or favorite stories?

Suzanne Stroh | 1 comments Yes. I liked it.

This is contemporary social realism by a Flannery O'Conner and ForeWord prizewinner. Most stories were reprinted from The Paris Review where they first appeared. And as you probably know, story collections are usually bought by writers and English Literature degree candidates. So the unifying conceit is suitably literary and academic (stories about all kinds of lovers as seen through the lens of post-French-Literary-Theory). Levy knows what she's about, and she is in total control of her material.

Now for the real world of AfterEllen readers. Lovers of short story collections will not be disappointed by the even and well-crafted prose that's sustained, start to finish. The lesbian content is uneven, but gay love is treated in the same way as every other kind of love in this book, which many readers seem to like. And the collection's best story, "Theory of Dramatic Action," is about a lesbian couple. The overall tone is a bit serious, subdued, sometimes sad. The characters are all a bit aimless, but realistically portrayed.

To me, the crown of the lesbian short story is still worn by Ali Smith, but that just tells you how cutting-edge I am about my lezzie literary fiction. Levy's work is more accessible, very readable, clever, in great taste, and I can recommend it to the team.