Cozy Mysteries discussion

Book and Series discussions > Genres, series lists and info

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GinBee (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 1 comments Where does everyone get their information about what genres a series goes in? Anyone got some good links of sites with series information on them?

I know Goodreads (well um yeah!)
There's Amazon

I'm thinking specifically series related?

message 2: by Nell (last edited Dec 26, 2012 03:41AM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments If you're looking for mystery series listed in order www.stopyourekillingme.com is a great resource. Lists of cozy mysteries, especially by themes (very useful for the mini-challenges), can be found at www.cozy-mystery.com This site also has a list of cozy authors.

For general fiction series, try www.fictfact.com (you don't have to be a member to get info.)

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 982 comments For the series that I read -- mysteries included -- I've found FictFact to be much more helpful than Stop You're Killing Me. I like that FictFact lets you keep track of your progress, and you can create a list of "next in the series" books with just one click :)

But as far as determining the genre for a series, I think Goodreads would probably be your best bet, simply because GR lets readers tag/categorize books. If you're trying to determine whether or not a particular series is considered a cozy, the Cozy Mystery site that Nell posted is a good one.

message 4: by Nell (last edited Dec 26, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments My experience has been different. I read a lot of mysteries and like the features on SYKM. I've found new authors on the award pages, new releases, et al.

For me, FictFact's shortcoming is that it only lists books in a series. It does not include non-series books by an author. I've also found books by other authors included when I search by name. Since I keep track of my reading on GR, I've not used it for that.

Try all three sites and see which one(s) suit you.

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaanne) | 0 comments I am new to this team/group so I don't know if anyone has ever tried the website "Cozy Mysteries". It is a blog that has really great lists and she updates them regularly plus is also opened to suggestions for additions to the list: my link text

message 6: by Naomi (last edited Jan 22, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) | 307 comments I like www.fantasticfiction.co.uk for checking on series. It lists them all in order, as well as any standalone books the author has written.

message 7: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Naomi wrote: "I like www.fantasticfiction.co.uk for checking on series. It lists them all in order, as well as any standalone books the author has written."

I use this info on an excel spread to make sure I don't duplicate a purchase. Very useful for a large library.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I've made duplicate purchases a couple of times. I was not happy with myself.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Paula wrote: "I've made duplicate purchases a couple of times. I was not happy with myself."

I hate it when that happens! So annoying...

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Paula wrote: "I've made duplicate purchases a couple of times. I was not happy with myself."

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I started keeping a notebook of book orders...

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Paula wrote: "I've made duplicate purchases a couple of times. I was not happy with myself."

I have done that with music on MP3. I could see me doing it with books also on Kindle. Have tried to get one I already have for free more than once.

message 12: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) | 307 comments Shirley wrote: "Naomi wrote: "I like www.fantasticfiction.co.uk for checking on series. It lists them all in order, as well as any standalone books the author has written."

I use this info on an excel spread to ..."

I have a file on Pages (the Mac word processing program) that lists all the series, which books I have, which books I've read, and which books I don't have yet. I could never keep everything straight without it!

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Naomi wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Naomi wrote: "I like www.fantasticfiction.co.uk for checking on series. It lists them all in order, as well as any standalone books the author has written."

I use this info on an ..."

I think that is awesome. I am going to have to carve out time and do something.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Revers | 52 comments new here and I use fict fact To keep track of my series (when I can remember them to put down) I also track on Good reads, but have not configured my lists well yet. So many things I have read in the past just aren't posted yet. Thanks for the links I was not aware of!

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen I have been on Good Reads 2 years and still working on organizing my book shelves. worked a little today on that in fact.

message 16: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Nash (sylviaanash) | 22 comments I'm impressed by everyone who has developed a tracking method of some kind. I started one a couple of years ago and kind of let it slip. I think I was trying to keep too much information (like including a summary!), and it became too timeconsuming. I'd like to get back in the notion of keeping a list of the books in the given series and maybe just indicating what books I have and which ones I've read. I'm almost inspired!

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Beth wrote: "new here and I use fict fact To keep track of my series (when I can remember them to put down) I also track on Good reads, but have not configured my lists well yet. So many things I have read in t..."

Beth, did you know if you have books that you can't find here on GR you can add them yourself? When you do the search and it comes up blank, there's a link there on the page to "manually add a book" (or something along those words). And a couple of us in this group are GR librarians and can lend a hand if you need it.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth Revers | 52 comments Thanks, it is more a matter of remembering what I have read over the past 5 decades : )