Around the USA in 52 Books discussion

General Discussion > Where will you start?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 146 comments Mod
Are you reading in any type of order, or by whim? What book are you excited to start, or is it the location that is pulling you in?

message 2: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 95 comments I am just going with the flow. Something I read in one book will usually lead me to pick up the next. I do see that The Real Minerva is due back on 9th January, so that will be my start.

message 3: by Brandy (new)

Brandy I'm reading based on how they fit into some other monthly challenges I have going on.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I put together my list using my Atlas for the list of states - which divided them by region. So...I will be reading that way. Northeast is first, and I'll pretty much stick to that order with the exception of the books that overlap with with my book club reading list. I'll be starting soon - I can't wait!

message 5: by Chieko (new)

Chieko (cminnow) | 6 comments Starting in Georgia and will follow the Appalachian Trail north.

message 6: by Louise (last edited Dec 27, 2012 04:01AM) (new)

Louise | 89 comments The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady (for Florida) is my first book, I've been wanting to read it for a while!

message 7: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 64 comments I think I'm going to start with states from which I don't recall ever reading a book. That way, even if I don't complete all 52, I'll still fill in some of my "reading holes".

message 8: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 11 comments I get a lot of books from the library, too, so some of my read order will end up bein, "oops, I have to return this one in a few days, I'd better read it now" situations. Other than that, I think I'll just read in whatever order I feel like. I'm still not even quite done making out a potential reading list. I might just pick out books and see if they fit into a state once I've finished reading. I usually read around 100 books a year, so even if a book fits nowhere, I don't think I'll losing time or anything.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 32 comments I think I'll start with my home state, and after that, choose books based on my mood.

message 10: by Susan (last edited Dec 28, 2012 02:22PM) (new)

Susan I will be working around other reading challenges and library availability.

Doc is first I think.

message 11: by Jayme (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:27AM) (new)

Jayme I'm starting with The Reivers by Faulkner that I'm reading for the Southern Literary Group read for January and then it's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk andThe Round House for the Tournament of Books Challenge.
I also am planning on readingEat the City: A Tale of the Fishers, Foragers, Butchers, Farmers, Poultry Minders, Sugar Refiners, Cane Cutters, Beekeepers, Winemakers, and Brewers Who Built New York.
I better stop typing and start reading.

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Susan wrote: "I will be working around other reading challenges and library availability.

Doc is first I think."

I'm looking forward to reading DOC also! My book club is reading it in February, I think, so that's when I'll be reading it:)

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Jenny wrote: "Are you reading in any type of order, or by whim? What book are you excited to start, or is it the location that is pulling you in?"

Jenny, what is your method for reading around the USA?

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 32 comments Jayme, I need to stop typing and start reading, too.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 146 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "Jenny, what is your method for reading around the USA? ..."
Every once in a while, I'll have one dictated to me because of a book club, but for the most part I'm reading whimsically. I'm saving California and train books for my train trip in Cali in Feb. I tracked down a Kansas poet's work at the public library, so I think that will be next!

message 16: by Stacy (new)

Stacy McDaniel | 50 comments I still don't have all the books in my list so I will start with what I have and keep collecting the ones that I don't have. I'm still not sure where I'm going to start.

Angel **Book Junkie** I am just random... I just start reading a book and update the state as I go.. I will use everyone else's list when I am getting close to the end without some of my states listed .. :)

message 18: by Chieko (new)

Chieko (cminnow) | 6 comments Started in Georgia and following the Appalachian Trail north. Now in North Carolina.

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureencean) I am random - I started with Florida because of a book I won on First Reads!