Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Endless Sky: The Sergeant's Pledge (The Starship Pegasus Series, #1)
This topic is about Endless Sky
Adding New Books > book display order

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stuart Land (stuartland) | 27 comments Hi. I added the above book with no problem, however, it lists on the second page, which means people need to click on the show more button. I'd like to have this newest book be first in the list, not last. Is this possible, and if so, can I do it myself in the future rather than bother you guys? Also, when I go to my book page, it says I have librarian status, but when I click on something to change (the cover for example) it says I don't have library status. I'd like to be able to configure my own books rather than bother you overworked angels. :-)

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 22, 2012 09:46PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) You have some (not all) librarian status over your own books.

You cannot change the cover. An alternate cover edition gets made if you need to update a cover ( to avoid messing with member book catalogues).

As to the list order and showing on second page, do you mean under "other editions" on the right where it shows some thumbnails? If so, you can click on the edition you want shown first, "edit details" and midway down righthand side you can set it to be "primary edition."

If you mean the order book shows on your author page, that shows books in descending popularity. As book gets more ratings will move up.

If you mean in a series list, that we can help with. Just tell us the correct order.

If something else, happy to help but not understanding your question.

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 22, 2012 09:42PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I did create the series for you. A description for series can be added if you like.

And, I combined a stray edition of Back From the Dead that may have condensed books listed on your author profile page to one page. But, that book order isn't something you can set (most shelved/rated/popular just shows first). Just worked out that way because of the stray edition.

Do you need help creating an edition for your new cover? (Once created, you can set to be the "primary edition" shown on your author page, searches, etc.)

Stuart Land (stuartland) | 27 comments Wow, thanks, Debbie, for your quick response. Sorry my question wasn't adequately explained. So if I understand the cover scenario correctly, when I want to upload a new cover, or even correct something on the same cover, it's going to make a new edition. This seems very confusing for a reader. I know it is for me, and I'm the author.

As for list order, I was talking about the dashboard (author?) page where it says My Books. I understand now that they are listed in descending popularity order, but if no one sees the second page, it doesn't help in getting those book recognized.

Thanks for creating a series for me, but I don't know where to look for what you made.

I see that the old version of Back from the Dead is no longer on my author page, so thanks for that. However, I wrote on another thread about removing that book entirely because it connected to a publisher that has no rights to my book and hasn't for some years. But now, I see there are two covers depicting that version. I definitely need both gone.

I also wrote on another thread about updating the cover on Original Blood, and condensing the two ebooks into one and putting the new cover on both print and ebook versions.

Here's the updated cover: http://asana-inspirations.com/writing...

Thank yo so much for your help, Deb. Much appreciated.

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:57AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) The editions and cover issues may be better explained as saying that your book on a bookseller or publisher website has a book product page that you want to keep up to date for what is currently for sale. Your book on goodreads has a book data page that wants every published version and allows members to add their versions to their own shelves or book catalogue. Messing with older, out-of-print, or no longer legally with a particular publisher book causes problems with their book catalogue equivalent to going to someone's house and ransacking their physical bookshelves to repossess their printed copy because you want them to only have the new edition.

If it was ever a published book, it does not get removed from goodreads in my experience.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) To see all your series: http://www.goodreads.com/series/list?...

The series I just created for the Endless Sky book: http://www.goodreads.com/series/93712...

(New series and other changes can take 10 minutes to several days to update everywhere on goodreads)

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:56AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I'll work on getting alternate cover editions for Original Blood.

Then, you as author can set either the ebook or hardcopy updated cover as the featured/primary/default edition. That is, what readers see when they browse your author page, search for the book title, pull up the series, etc. Librarians actually cannot set the primary edition for you.

For the how-to's on setting primary editions, checkout Author FAQ #4 in this group at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... or help screens at http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/31...

(If you can't get the primary edition feature to work, a goodreads employee will need to set for you; contact them via form at http://www.goodreads.com/about/contac... — they do not work weekends).

You can also make set the current edition of Back from the Dead to be the primary (seen) edition.

message 8: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:51AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I created an alternate cover edition for the paperback at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17... (you can click "edit details" then set as primary edition).

What isbn needs to go on the ebook? The "294..." in isbn 13 field usually means a nook edition (link not working because something was also in isbn10 field but I also cannot find nook version on Barnes and Noble when I go to site and search manually to doublecheck).

Does the kindle edition also need to have an alternate cover edition with same cover?

Stuart Land (stuartland) | 27 comments Thank you, again, Debbie. You're a sweetie! I understand about keeping the old editions, however, in my case, no one has bought the former addition of this book, as no sales have happened in seven years. I've only been a Goodreads member for two. So my request for deletion would not be infringing on anyone's rights.

Thanks for setting the series and alternate cover for Back from the Dead paperback. Yes, it does need the same cover for the Kindle. I did set the primary edition, so that does work.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Glad you were able to set the primary edition! I'll set an alternate cover edition for the kindle.

As to the not buying, not the same as members not cataloguing/shelving. I'm getting a screenshot of that for you.

message 11: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 23, 2012 10:08PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Screenshot of rating details from your 2005 edition showing that bought or not members did shelve:

shelving detail
To see a larger view http://d.gr-assets.com/photos/1356282...

If a new librarian does unknowingly get deleted for you, that change will get reversed as soon as system catches up. To get rid of a published, shelved book with an isbn—staff will need to step in on the thread or you can try contacting staff by the same form I mentioned above (http://www.goodreads.com/about/contac... ).

Actually, even if I wanted to delete for you, as a regular librarian for a book with 5 or more ratings I can't. Would take a super-librarian and would really surprise me if they did not know the policies. I did not look at ratings details for all your books.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Kindle alternate cover edition with updated cover at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Stuart Land (stuartland) | 27 comments Thank you once again, Deb. Although I do understand how and why the system of making new additions exists, the fact that those people seven people shelved my old version was precisely because they were confused about which edition was the one offered for sale. Most or all those people ended up reshelving the new edition when I contacted them. If people are still shelving it, it further makes my point.

One another note, is it possible to know how many people click through to the Amazon (and other) buy pages?

Tell the bosses to give you a raise. You're doing a great job.

message 14: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:38PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I'm actually not sure about the click thru stats. I imagine since may have some affiliate/income thing behind that goodreads tracks somehow. Any other librarians know and want to weigh in? Do they track the click-thru or just the click-thru that leads to an actual purchase and is either visible somewhere to authors?

Making desired editions the "primary edition" should help with members shelving old versions. If not set, the most popular/shelved/rated edition is used. Also helps the book/purchase links.

message 15: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 23, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Debbie (Debbie Rice) wrote: "the fact that those people seven people shelved my old version was precisely because they were confused about which edition was the one offered for sale. Most or all those people ended up reshelving the new edition when I contacted them."

So are you asking people to shelve a different edition?

Goodreads lets people shelve either the precise edition they want/have or a generic edition if they are not particularly interested in accuracy. I've never come across an author asking people to change edition. I'm sure it isn't against any rules (that I know of) but I know I wouldn't like it. But that is me.

As Debbie says, you can make any edition the default edition.

I'm less sure about the default description of Back from the Dead. Slagging off a publisher on Goodreads is probably not acceptable.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/edit/20...

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) "Generic" usually reads as "default" or "primary" or "whatever just showed up while I was browsing or searching goodreads" edition. So generally a good idea to set a primary edition to the most recent versus letting goodreads set to most popular (frequently the first edition added to goodreads becomes the most popular).

message 17: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Banjomike wrote: "I'm less sure about the default description of Back from the Dead. Slagging off a publisher on Goodreads is probably not acceptable."

Definitely not. I've set a new default description and merged the duplicate PublishAmerica editions based on the changelog.

Stuart, please do not edit book records to remove data. This is considered vandalism of the Goodreads database and is grounds for loss of your account here.

message 18: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Debbie (Debbie Rice) wrote: "So generally a good idea to set a primary edition to the most recent versus letting goodreads set to most popular (frequently the first edition added to goodreads becomes the most popular). "

I don't see that. Changing the default is only likely to make a difference to those people who don't want their correct edition on their shelves. For those members who are happy to have any edition/cover on their shelf I expect they would be happy with whatever edition is the default.

And if the default is manually set to the latest edition it will only be the default edition until an author decides to reset it to the NEW, improved new edition which will come out sometime next month. And I'm certainly not getting at Stuart or any other author, it is just the way that modern publishing seems to work. Change the cover, rewrite chapter 1, combine two books into 1, rename the series, rename the book...

message 19: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 23, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Well, if not the latest edition being the one to set as the default edition, at least it does help new readers looking for their next read when the book purchase links can actually find the editions currently for sale or to get additional information. I suspect members cataloguing books they already own will either care which edition they shelve and look past the primary edition to find their own or will not care which edition so have no opinion on what should be default.

I'm sure goodreads doesn't set just to the most recent publish date edition because of all the audio adaptations, foreign translations, etc. plus the large number of out of print classics that have had so many, many reprints (and books with no publication dates).

All the different viewpoints likely why goodreads just allows the author to set a primary/default/featured edition if desired and leaves to crowdsourced "popularity " to resolve if not.