The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Writer's Corner > Writing Challenge ~ Who Do You Write Like?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
I found this on Tumblr.

And yes, it's weird. But you'll love it, trust me!

So apparently there's this website called 'I Write Like'. You type in random sentences, words - ANYTHING YOU WANT - and then press the 'analyse' button. The site will then tell you which famous author you write most like and whose style is similar to yours.

Now for the funny bit :D

Someone posted up the funniest answer when they typed in the words:
"nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga, I'm a 100% nigga, nigga." Can you guess which author turned up?!!

If you CAN'T then try it out here: http://iwl.me/

Also, please try out other weird, funny, and random writing styles in there and let me know which authors you guys come up with - does anyone get JK Rowling? Tolkien? Because those would be seriously cool!!

:D Booknut

Guys!! I got NEIL GAIMAN!! *squeals* That officially just made my day :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I got P.G. Wodehouse. I don't know much about him - anyone got any idea why I write like him?

message 3: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
Apparently I write like Arthur Clarke. A person I have never heard of. This is SO cool.

message 4: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2012 04:32PM) (new)

(Secret side note: nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga, I'm a 100% nigga, nigga = STEPHANIE MEYER.

Hmm. How?!

I wonder if that's, like, the secret underlying code beneath the pages of Twilight or something. Because I'm pretty certain those words did not turn up in ANY of her books.)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie Meyer?

message 6: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "Stephanie Meyer?
"

I know!!

message 7: by Mark (last edited Dec 22, 2012 06:44PM) (new)

Mark | 26 comments I put some of my NANO novel into this, and the answer came up as Margaret Atwood.
Other authors which came up as I put more pages of other non NANO novel writing in, Jane Austen twice. Others, James Joyce, David Foster Wallace, Mark Twain twice, Ian Fleming, L. Frank Baum, even Stephanie Meyer once. Putting more writing in, each one of these authors names kept coming up. I just got Anne Rice, J.R.R Tolkien. Ursula K. Le Guin

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Never heard of her... or Neil Gaiman.

message 9: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (goodreadscomashleigh_reagle) | 1 comments I copied and pasted an English anecdote I wrote this year and it came up that I write like Vladimir Nabokov. He wrote Lolita and such books. It's really interesting that I write like him. I wonder if that's foreshadowing that I'll enjoy his books when I read them?

message 10: by Melissa (last edited Dec 22, 2012 04:41PM) (new)

Melissa | 869 comments Oh sweet! I put in a little blurb from a short story I wrote and it says I write like Stephen King! That just makes my day XD

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Booknut wrote: "(Secret side note: nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga, I'm a 100% nigga, nigga = STEPHANIE MEYER.

Hmm. How?!

I wonder if that's, like, the secret underlying code beneath the pages of Twilight or some..."

Har Har I literally just choked on my cookie when I read that!! :D Oh Stephanie Meyer!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (velliya) | 424 comments I posted a chapter of my book and got William Shakespeare!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

*claps loudly for Rachel*

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 869 comments That's so cool!

message 15: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniquecampbell) Ha, I guess I write like Jane Austen:)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

*onerous voice* Both of you are destined to become great, magnificent authors.

message 17: by L (last edited Dec 23, 2012 04:23AM) (new)

L | 1252 comments What a fantastic test!!!

I got...

H. P Lovecraft

Jumping up and down with excitement.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

One of the greatest fantasy and sci-fi writers ever *faints* :)

message 18: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (bettycross) I got Neil Gaiman. Needless to say, I'm very flattered.

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Harry Harrison? I don't know who this guy is but I think he writes Sci-fi...

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Lucinda wrote: "What a fantastic test!!!

I got...

H. P Lovecraft

One of the greatest fantasy and sci-fi writers ever *faints* :)"

He...he...nice gif.

message 21: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Lucinda wrote: "What a fantastic test!!!

I got...

H. P Lovecraft

One of the greatest fantasy and sci-fi writers ever *faints* :)"

*laughs* Gosh, gotta love Neville!

message 22: by Clarté (new)

Clarté | 65 comments Oh, oh, I saw this on tumblr the other day too! I tried it and according to it, I write like James Joyce. o.o

message 23: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) ... I sent in the prologue of a story I'm writing and I got ... who was it? Whats-his-name Kipling. The poet?

message 24: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I got J. D. Salinger....Not sure who that is?

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Search his name here in GR.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Eden wrote: "Oh, oh, I saw this on tumblr the other day too! I tried it and according to it, I write like James Joyce. o.o"

I typed in another thing that I worked on and got him too! :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "... I sent in the prologue of a story I'm writing and I got ... who was it? Whats-his-name Kipling. The poet?"

Rudyard Kipling.

message 28: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Althea *Go wolves and dragons!* wrote: "Search his name here in GR."

I will:)

message 30: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments J.D. Salinger:) Author of Catcher in the Rye:)

I definitely should have known that...

message 31: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "... I sent in the prologue of a story I'm writing and I got ... who was it? Whats-his-name Kipling. The poet?"

Rudyard Kipling."

That's right, thanks :)

Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (aka Clarisse) (sasha101) | 92 comments i wrote "so i was sitting in there at lunch, staring out the cafeteria window, when a shadow figure emerged from behind the bushes"

and it aid i write like H.G Wells
... dunno who that is but i will google it

Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (aka Clarisse) (sasha101) | 92 comments Sasha wrote: "i wrote "so i was sitting in there at lunch, staring out the cafeteria window, when a shadow figure emerged from behind the bushes"

... dunno who that is but i wi..."

apparently he was an english writer best known for his work in the sci-fi genre

Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (aka Clarisse) (sasha101) | 92 comments I got neil gaimen as well

message 35: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Wow, that's creepy... Creepy accurate...

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 869 comments Hey I got Stephen King too!

message 37: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Huh. Now I got Mary Shelley. Frankenstein, interesting...

message 38: by Clarté (new)

Clarté | 65 comments Kaylee wrote: "@Melissa
*high five*

I've taken it a few times, and now I either get Stephen King or Cory Doctorow"

I got Cory Doctorow too! Him, and James Joyce with another script.

message 39: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments I got James Joyce once as well.

message 40: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments I got a 'H. P. Lovecraft' for a poem I wrote. Yes, H. P. Lovecraft

message 41: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) Sasha Herondale wrote: "Sasha wrote: "i wrote "so i was sitting in there at lunch, staring out the cafeteria window, when a shadow figure emerged from behind the bushes"

... dunno who th..."

He wrote War of the Worlds, which is now a classic, is it not?

message 42: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) Oh wow - I'm mindblown. Just tried another piece of writing - much more recent than my last, which was an old story that I'm not very happy with P:

And I got exactly the same result.

Rudyard Kipling.

That is awesome. Maybe this is more accurate than I first thought! :D

message 43: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments Guys. I got J.K. Rowling. :D

Made my day.

message 44: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments You could always search for them on goodreads.

You've got some good authors there! :D

Ʈʜэ MɐÐɲΣ§Ꭶ ᏊརƭᏲƗϞ (death_of_the_rebelz) I discovered this site over a year ago, it is incredibly fun for evaluating my own writing and is quite amusing with the results. Glad all of you got to experience it.

message 46: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments My fairytale story that i am currently working on, came out as "Anne Rice" ??

who she is ~ http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Rice/e/B00...

Interesting! I had never herd of her before

Ʈʜэ MɐÐɲΣ§Ꭶ ᏊརƭᏲƗϞ (death_of_the_rebelz) I was given the same results for one of my pieces that I entered. I quite like her from what I have learned of her. I have yet to read any of her writing.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Elevetha, you lucky duck.

I got Stephen King. Not bad - he's a lovely writer, but swears too much for my comfort.

message 49: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Just submitted a clipping of a piece I've been working on and feel very hopeful about, and I got Dan Brown. How awesome is he?

message 50: by Vrushali (new)

Vrushali (vrushali_m) | 2 comments i put an excerpt from the Hunger Games
and it said i write like chuck palanihuick....

hmmm...what does that say...??

« previous 1