Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)
This topic is about Incarnate
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > Incarnate by Jodi Meadows → Start Date: December 26th, 2012

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Tori and I will be reading this together! Please join in if you can!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm really excited to read this one!

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments me too!!! :D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

So how many chapters did you want to read a day?
There are 30 chapters and 374 pages, so I was thinking maybe 10-15 a day?

message 5: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments sounds perfect, I'll aim for 15 but stop at 10 if I don't have time! I can't wait to start!!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay perfect!! I am really excited to read this one!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I started this book about an hour ago and I am really enjoying it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 26, 2012 06:07PM) (new)

So I actually finished this one already... I had quite a bit of time to read today so I just decided to finish it. Where are you at in the book right now? When you finish, would you like to discuss?

message 9: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments wow, you finished!!! alright, I'll see how far I can get, but I've caught a cold and will probably be sleeping early tonight. is it okay if we discuss tomorrow first thing?? :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, well I hope you feel better!! :)

And absolutely! I have quite a few questions to ask about this book.. Haha

Feel better soon! :)

message 11: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments yay!!! you gave it 4 stars though!!! Okay, I'm going to go start it! :) I'll pop back in tomorrow when I'm done!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes I did, although I did have a few issues with this book and I am a little hesitant with my rating.. I am looking forward to hear what you think of this book!!

message 13: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I finished the book....and am ready to discuss :) I'm still sick so I may be on and off today, but I'd love to hear your issues and why you're hesitant with your rating! LOL!

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Glad you liked it!! I see you rated it four stars!!

Okay so in my review I mentioned that there weren't as many paranormal/fantasy elements to this story as I had hoped there would be. I don't know why, but I felt as though it was focused more on Ana and Sam and less on the whole "newsoul/nosoul" aspects.
I also was a little bit confused at some parts. I don't know if I missed an explanation, but what is sylph? It talked a lot about it in this book, but I was kind of confused as to what it was... Maybe I just didn't fully comprehend the explanation given in the story.

I really loved this book, alot but I am unsure if it had that full paranormal/fantasy aspect that I was looking for.

What are your thoughts on this book?

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I liked the book too!! I just wrote up my review....

okay, so Sylph. They didn't give us a lot of information - because I don't think they have alot of information about them. But what limited info they did give us was in the beginning when she ran from 1 and then fought another.
So, best as I can tell, they are black shadows. You can't really see them - and they are like walking fire. They instantly burn when they touch. The "egg" thing that they can catch them with....that was odd to me - since you can't see them unless you can tell the darker shadow from everything else, it doesn't seem like you can catch them in the egg thing (I totally had a Ghost Busters flash and thought of their big contraption that sucks in ghosts! LOL! have you seen that?? I know that's not really what it looked like, I'm sure, but it still made me chuckle).

There was definitely not a lot of paranormal shoved it. I mean, the whole world is paranormal - but other than walls that are alive and a few dragons that attack - this felt much more Hansel and Gretel Fairy tale than a paranormal type story....

Although, i didn't mind the focus on Ana and Sam.... When I cracked the book open last night, I had no idea what the story was. I was entirely reading this on cover alone (it's so pretty!) so I didn't have any idea of the story I would be reading other than it appeared it would be about reincarnation.

I think the most disappointing part for me was Ana. If she was as sheltered and "not around people" as she was supposed to be, she didn't seem to have any problems adjusting. She seemed articulate, well read, and well adjusted for a girl that lived in the country and had to sew her own clothes. Ugh, that annoyed me too! It just didn't seem like someone who lived by no one and only lived with Li would be able to have any idea of "style" to even make/adjust clothing.

I don't know, I just chalked this up to a fairy tale and kind of suspended belief and just went for the ride. I was glad they finally had Ana and Same make a relationship out of it - since they already seemed to be living together like husband and wife.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2012 10:27AM) (new)

Okay that makes much more sense about the sylph now. Haha yes, total Ghost Busters flash!!

I didn't necessarily mind the focus on Ana and Sam either although I just would have liked to see a little more paranormal.

The cover is really gorgeous! (I will admit, that is one of the main reasons why I bought this book. Haha)

I never even thought of Ana adjusting really quick until after you mentioned it. I agree with you on that one. Since she was a nosoul, I would have thought that she would have a hard time getting to know people, adjusting to her surroundings, etc. But she just kind of adjusted right away which is weird.

I am glad we are on the same page here as far as this story goes. I am glad we both enjoyed it!!

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Me too!!!

What was your favorite part??

I think mine was the masquerade ball. it sounded so sweet and so fun (make your own mask/costume, everyone attends, the dancing and uniting of two souls). I thought that would have been a really cool scene in a movie.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I think mine might have been the masquerade ball as well! I just loved the whole idea of it and yeah I agree, it would have been a cool scene in the movie. It would be cool to see all of the different costumes/masks that people are wearing!

I also have another question, who is Menehem? I thought it was Ana's father near the beginning, but I wasn't quite sure towards the end.

message 19: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yes, he was supposed to her dad. But he abandoned her so early on when he "disappeared."

I wondered about two parts too. I wonder if book two is going to somehow say that ana's soul isn't new.
I thought that because of 2 parts...

When Sam first pulled Ana out of the water and the he held her in front of him with his hand over her heart. When she jumped away from him he said something about thinking he knew her when he first pulled her out - he thought she was someone he already knew.
Tie that into the fact that ana seems to recognize sam's soul no matter what his outer body looks like and... I wonder if they are going to say that she is Ciana's spirit, only with her memory wiped clean or something like that

The other part that I thought might be foreshadowing something like she's a reborn soul was the part where she was downstairs in their city house and suddenly she hears Sam gasp...and when she asks him he says something about the light and her hair looking like it was red..I could figure out if he recognized her again (if only her hair were red)....

but I guess I haven't read the synopsis for two....is it coming out soon?? any guesses on how they will continue the story?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that it might say something about her being Ciana, like you mentioned.

I haven't yet read the synopsis for book two yet although I know that it comes out January 29th, 2013. Maybe we could do a buddy read for book two??

I feel as though this series could go in any direction at this point. There are so many things that could happen, but I just have a gut feeling that the second book will mention something about Ana and Ciana being connected in some way...

message 21: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I totally agree!! I think they are connected

I would LOVE to buddy read book 2!!! I'll keep my eyes out for it and we'll have to get a thread going once we both have it!

keep me posted on when you get it! LOL! I'd love to keep going with this one!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay great!! I am planning on getting it within the week that it comes out..

I will message you when I have my copy and then we can set up a buddy read for it!