Time Travel discussion

Time Travel at the Movies > Your ideal Christmas Time Travel movie (updated list on first post)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tej (last edited Dec 23, 2013 06:57AM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
What time travel movie would you want to see for Christmas?

I'm guessing the most popular choice would be a version of A Christmas Carol but I'm thinking simply what would be the most fun to watch with a family at Christmas but doesnt have to have Christmas as a theme.

So for instance, my choice would be Back to the Future. In fact I think its a film I have watched on many Christmas holidays. It just has that great holiday feel to it for all the family.

Christmas Time Travel list (updated when new recommendations are posted) :

Back to the Future
Its A Wonderful Life (not quite TT but close, alternate reality - recommended by Howard)
A Christmas Carol (take your pick on which version, Robert recommends the Reginald Owen version, Tej recommends Alastair Sim)
Terminator (a bit violent for Christmas but that's Randy's festive choice!)
Next (recommended by David)
12:01 (recommended by Seth)
The Family Man (not quite TT, alternate reality. Recommended by Nathan)
Project Makeover
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (the one with the Wales!)
Star Trek (2009 reboot)
Flight of the Navigator
Comfort and Joy (recommended by Randy)
Three Days (recommended by Randy)
Scrooged

message 2: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
How about "Back to the Future IV - McFly Saves Christmas"?

message 3: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Tej, in the US another obvious choice would be 'It's a Wonderful Life' & the TT involved is very much a la 'A Christmas Carol' & it's at Christmas, too.

message 4: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments PS you guys, in the movie it's Carl Switzer that, as a prank, opens the swimming pool's cover during the school dance.

One of his last performances he had before he was shot & killed, typecast to the end.

He played Alfalfa in 'The Little Rascals.' & had personality, which was what he called the point on his character's hair style.

message 5: by Tej (new)

John wrote: "How about "Back to the Future IV - McFly Saves Christmas"?"

You mean George Mcfly? ah-ah-ah-ah ;)

message 6: by Tej (new)

Howard wrote: "Tej, in the US another obvious choice would be 'It's a Wonderful Life' & the TT involved is very much a la 'A Christmas Carol' & it's at Christmas, too."

Normally, I would class that film in the "Not quite TT" category as that doesnt have time travel, rather an alternative reality premise. But as its Christmas, and we're quite limited with choices, I welcome that choice :) And sure, its certainly one of the most favoured Christmas film, alright.

I am right now in a Christmas spirit and I am just about to watch Men in Black 3 which I think makes for a fun Christmas time travel movie which has just recently come out on Blu Ray.

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1060 comments Terminator -- "Come with me if you want to survive the Christmas fruitcake!"

message 8: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Tej, back off that list, just mentioned IAWL as you'd mentioned ACC & if one is TT (as you intimated) then they both are as in each someone goes back & sees the past, only with an angel in one, not a ghost as in the other.

There's two futures, too & he sees examples of each one, for example at the tree & again in the bar.

So I'll take your interpretation, as you control the list & all, but only if they both go there.

Just an idea.

And if I had the TIME to watch something, it'd probably be vintage TV TT.

You know I love those.

message 9: by Tej (last edited Dec 22, 2012 04:18PM) (new)

Howard wrote: "Tej, back off that list, just mentioned IAWL as you'd mentioned ACC & if one is TT (as you intimated) then they both are as in each someone goes back & sees the past, only with an angel in one, not..."

Oh I dont control any list, Howard, anything goes, man, I'm just pushing my thoughts, bullishly of course ;) However, I change my mind about IAWL given your description as I didnt recall he travelled in time, I thought he was in an alternate present throughout the film, in a reality where he wasnt born. But it was probably almost 2 decades since I last saw the film!

message 10: by Tej (new)

So I just finished re-watching Men in Black 3 on the Blu Ray. Wow, I really do love this film despite the fact that I am not really that keen on the series as a whole. I'm not that much into the silly alien comedy stuff. But what makes this film special is the resonating relationship of Agents J and K combined with one of the most satisfying and emotionally surprising ending last acts of any time travel movie. Watching it second time around was especially rewarding in how the pieces fall together given the ending in hindsight. Superb story and very much a holiday film but I have to retract or at least add caution in recommending it as a suitable family Christmas film because I forgot there was mild swearing and a bit of gruesome violence, albeit alien cartoony violence but gruesome nonetheless.

message 11: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Tej wrote: You mean George Mcfly? ah-ah-ah-ah ;)"

Or maybe Marty and Jennifer's kids. A family of time travelers.

message 12: by David (new)

David Lillard | 4 comments Tej wrote: "What time travel movie would you want to see for Christmas?

There's movie entitled, NEXT, which involves a character who can see in to the future - along with variable possible alternative futures. The twist ending was nice.

message 13: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1060 comments The short, 12:01 PM, was much better...

By the way, I just watched a Christmas movie that pulled a Groundhog Day scenario -- A Christmas Wedding Date (2012).

message 14: by Tej (last edited Dec 21, 2013 08:57AM) (new)

Well its another year and another Christmas. Are there any time travel movie suggestions for Christmas viewing?

Here's a few more in addition to the films mentioned last year

If you are in a romantic time travel mood and you subscribe to Netflix, then I recommend this sweet Korean and funny movie called Project Makeover.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yes, I am sorry it does have subtitles but the film is a lot of fun if you can abide with that plus the Korean female accent is very cute ;)

A 30 year old girl blames her first "true" love rockstar singer for the mundane life she leads but one day her Microsoft Windows laptop offers her the opportunity to go back in time and fix her life. Upon arrival she meets her younger self and tries to match make her to a boy who she knows will become a successful electronics company director. Unfortunately, he turns out to be socially inept which provides much of the films comedy. Its hilarious and reminds me of Back to the Future where Marty's attempts to match-make George and Lorraine with great difficulty.

Watch on Netflix here:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Pro...

Its such a sweet funny movie and poignant in parts. It is full of nostalgic references to the 90s even for non Korean viewers like ourselves. Its a colourful film with pretty faces and the performers deliver great charm and comic timing. The time travel rules appear very relaxed, especially considering the fact that our protagonist is meeting and buddying up with her younger self is not actuall ending the universe as Doc Brown feared. But it actually works as you'll see when you watch the film. I think its the most Christmassy TT movie on the current Netflix online library.

For DVD or Blu Ray Rental, I think Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkhaban fits nicely into the "dark" Christmas spirit.

Big feature blockbuster-wise, Star trek IV: The Voyage Home (ie the one with the Whales!) has got a nice holiday viewing feel as too the new reboot Star Trek (2009).

And for children, well its gotta be Flight of the Navigator for me. I had revisited this film last year Christmas and its still charming, however, I dont know if it will please today's kids as it is a very 80s film.

Any more suggestions?

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments I'm biased, Tej (and maybe you are, too, in the land of Dickens). I've always felt that A CHRISTMAS CAROL is the gold standard when it comes to Xmas stories (the best movie is the Reginald Owen version). Travel into the (regrettable) past and the (fuzzy) future, with a great holiday message of forgiveness & hope. And so appropriate, too, as we all consider John's passing, and maybe (inevitably) our own; grateful for the gift of this existence, no matter what the circumstances we're in, and for the opportunity to make ourselves (and it) better. Maybe that's why we're all drawn to this genre.

"God bless us, every one!"

message 16: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
I always like "The Family Man" with Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni. I don't know if it's technically time travel or would fall under alternate reality. Good Christmas movie in any case in my opinion.

message 17: by Tej (last edited Dec 21, 2013 09:09AM) (new)

Robert wrote: "I'm biased, Tej (and maybe you are, too, in the land of Dickens). I've always felt that A CHRISTMAS CAROL is the gold standard when it comes to Xmas stories (the best movie is the Reginald Owen ve..."

Yeah but I was adding to what people had listed already last year, have a brief look at the previous posts, in fact I mentioned it in my first post :)

However, I was never overly fond of the Christmas Carol story itself for some reason, I cant quite pinpoint why. But I do enjoy the Alastair Sim version the most and also the more recent Robert Zemeckis CGI version with Jim Carrey voicing a fantastic Scrooge.

I'm never biased though, I always appreciate or try to appreciate why a movie is loved even if I dont like it :)

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Tej wrote: "Yeah but I was adding to what people had listed already last year, have a brief look at the previous posts, in fact I mentioned it in my first post :)

However, I was never overly fond of the Chris..."

;-)

message 19: by Tej (last edited Dec 21, 2013 09:29AM) (new)

Nathan wrote: "I always like "The Family Man" with Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni. I don't know if it's technically time travel or would fall under alternate reality. Good Christmas movie in any case in my opinion."

Oh I havent seen that one and I am a fan of Nic Cage (even his numerous crappy films makes me smile because he is so often OTT in his acting but in an unintentionally fun way!).

Thanks Nathan, putting that one on my rental queue :)

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Tej wrote: "Nathan wrote: "I always like "The Family Man" with Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni. I don't know if it's technically time travel or would fall under alternate reality. Good Christmas movie in any case ..."

I've seen it. It's good. Definitely one that flies under the radar when it comes to Xmas movies.

message 21: by Tej (new)

I've updated the first post which now lists everyone's recommendations.

message 22: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1060 comments "It's a Wonderful Life" really isn't a Christmas movie, either. It just happens to happen about Christmas time. There are many variations of it, with and without Christmas:

-- Three Days
-- Kristin's Christmas Past

-- If Only
-- Eve's Christmas
-- It Happened One Christmas
-- Peggy Sue Got Married
-- Comfort and Joy
-- The Family Man
-- Mr. Destiny
-- 17 Again

-- Sliding Doors
-- All About Christmas Eve

And there are variations of GroundHog Day as well, several with Christmas in them:

-- 12 Dates of Christmas
-- Christmas Do-Over
-- A Christmas Wedding Date
-- Christmas Every Day

And there are too many variations on A Christmas Carol to even mention...my favorites:

-- A Christmas Carol (1951)
-- Scrooge (1970) -- because of the music
-- Scrooged -- because of the comedy

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Randy wrote: ""It's a Wonderful Life" really isn't a Christmas movie, either. It just happens to happen about Christmas time. There are many variations of it, with and without Christmas:

-- Three Days
-- Kristi..."

I've seen people in other groups nominate "Die Hard" for their favorite Xmas movie because it's set during the holidays. (Mr. Dickens is indeed rolling in his grave.)

message 24: by Tej (new)

Randy, Last year I did think twice about including Its a Wonderful Life in the list because technically its not a time travel movie but I accepted it because there didnt seem to be many suggestions!

Also, the movies dont have to actually have anything to do with Christmas but just make for a feel good christmas holiday watch.

Do you consider all the films you listed feel good movies to watch during the xmas holidays? If so, I'll add them all!

Thanks for the list, half of them I havent seen.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Robert wrote: "Randy wrote: ""It's a Wonderful Life" really isn't a Christmas movie, either. It just happens to happen about Christmas time. There are many variations of it, with and without Christmas:

-- Three ..."

Can't wait for Amy's list.

message 26: by Tej (new)

Robert wrote: "Randy wrote: ""It's a Wonderful Life" really isn't a Christmas movie, either. It just happens to happen about Christmas time. There are many variations of it, with and without Christmas:

-- Three ..."

Die Hard is great xmas film, lol...it ends with a Christmas song, Let it Snow and is set around Christmas time and somehow it feels like a really good holiday film to watch, lol. You're not approving one bit, are you Robert ;)

Not going on the list of course, there's no time travel in that film!

message 27: by Robert (last edited Dec 21, 2013 10:06AM) (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Tej wrote: "Robert wrote: "Randy wrote: ""It's a Wonderful Life" really isn't a Christmas movie, either. It just happens to happen about Christmas time. There are many variations of it, with and without Christ..."

Somehow, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" just doesn't fill me with the Xmas spirit. Nor the body that falls 50-some floors to the hood of the squad car.

But that's just me . . .

(By the way, this recommendation came from the UK Amazon Kindle Forum group. You might want to check them out. They're a hoot. Talk about Xmas irreverence in the land of Dickens!)

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Tej wrote: "Robert wrote: "Randy wrote: ""It's a Wonderful Life" really isn't a Christmas movie, either. It just happens to happen about Christmas time. There are many variations of it, with and without Christ..."

"Not going on the list of course, there's no time travel in that film! "

Otherwise, it would, right?

message 29: by Tej (last edited Dec 21, 2013 10:19AM) (new)

Robert wrote: "Otherwise, it would, right?"

um...well...yeah (bows head in shame)...Well Randy recommeded Terminator! (desperately trying to shift the attention)

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Tej wrote: "Robert wrote: "Tej wrote: "Robert wrote: "Randy wrote: ""It's a Wonderful Life" really isn't a Christmas movie, either. It just happens to happen about Christmas time. There are many variations of ..."

Yeah, let's kill Randy! Merry Christmas (in the Die Hard/Terminator way).

message 31: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1060 comments Tej wrote: "Do you consider all the films you listed feel good movies to watch during the xmas holidays? If so, I'll add them all!"

Those in the first group that I watch every Christmas season:

-- Comfort and Joy
-- Three Days
-- The Family Man

I watch almost every version of A Christmas Carol that exists, except for the Kelsey Grammar musical version. Yuck.

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Randy wrote: "Tej wrote: "Do you consider all the films you listed feel good movies to watch during the xmas holidays? If so, I'll add them all!"

Those in the first group that I watch every Christmas season:

-..."

Yuck, indeed.

(By the way, you know we're joking about the above, right, Tej? TEJ???)

message 33: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "I can't wait for Amy's list..."

Robert, you know I don't watch Christmas movies, right? Too sappy.

But I am getting a little teary-eyed seeing John's suggestion up there from last year. I have to admit I would go to the theaters to watch a Back to the Future Christmas movie.

I think seeing the ghost of John Past is going to haunt us all for a while.

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Amy wrote: "Robert wrote: "I can't wait for Amy's list..."

Robert, you know I don't watch Christmas movies, right? Too sappy.

But I am getting a little teary-eyed seeing John's suggestion up there from last ..."

Yes, aware, of course (it was a feeble attempt at humor).

As for John, see my first post above.

message 35: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
And that was my feeble attempt of humor back at you. I'm really not as big a Scrooge as I make myself out to be.

Yes, I saw your comment about John. Well-said.

message 36: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 132 comments Amy wrote: "And that was my feeble attempt of humor back at you. I'm really not as big a Scrooge as I make myself out to be.

Yes, I saw your comment about John. Well-said."

Don't sense that, really. And I'm serious. Although, you also remind me of Maureen O'Hara's character in "Miracle on 34th Street" . . .

message 37: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Amy, if you're talking Christmas & not Time Travel (Randy's #32) & agree with Tej’s post #25 then I’d suggest a Sherlock Homes adventure & here’s two excellent versions:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAcQQefQeDY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAPWPDL9aMU

Also, Agatha Christie employed this backdrop for both Poirot & Miss Marple.

But to be a Scrooge, if you're not talking Time Travel, then the list becomes endless, from Home Alone to Stalag 17.

So Merry Christmas to all & to all a good night.

message 38: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 14 comments How about Doomsday Book?

We get Christmas squared; one in 2054 and the other in 1320. Nothing says its Christmas like carols, church bells, and an epidemic.

message 39: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1060 comments This just showed up on Reddit -- Ten Christmas Movies to Watch on Netflix:

http://imgur.com/a/ndoF0

Die Hard made the list. :)

I had forgotten about Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

message 40: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Funny. I've got Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as my Netflix selection this week. Don't tell me I accidentally queued up a Christmas movie! Argh!

message 41: by Tej (new)

Well how about that, Family Man was on TV yesterday and it got recorded because I have my PVR scheduler automatically recording any Nicolas Cage film! Woohoo, will watch it today :)

Amy wrote: "Funny. I've got Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as my Netflix selection this week. Don't tell me I accidentally queued up a Christmas movie! Argh!"

Hmm there's quite a bit of topless nudity, violence and a lot of swearing...so dont worry, it aint Christmas but its pretty witty because of the two leads charisma...just dont watch it with your little one.

message 42: by Ross (new)

Ross Milton (mrossleighliter) As far as movies that inadvertently became holiday films, Die Hard is my favorite.

But if you move a week ahead to New Year's Eve, there is the turn of the millennium film Strange Days from 1995, directed by Kathryn Bigelow and with quite a cast, but now mostly forgotten. It's teaser trailer featured none of the actual movie, but nails the cyberpunk ethos (just Ralph Fiennes giving his pitch).

message 43: by Tej (last edited Dec 23, 2013 09:11AM) (new)

Well we seem to be straying away from time travel films big time so I'll name my favourite christmas film of all time, and that's The Wizard of OZ. Christmas isnt Christmas without that movie on TV despite the fact I have the BLu ray of it. Its just more special when its on TV for xmas day.

But lets try stick with time travel films though, guys :)

message 44: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Tej, you Wizard & movie trivia buff, as we're digressing:

What do the Witch's guards chant as they march about her castle, when it sounds like "Oreo, we all are."

What are they really saying?

You probably know but maybe not & you should if it's your favorite.

message 45: by Randy (last edited Dec 23, 2013 10:52AM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1060 comments According to IMDB:

The screenplay shows that the correct lyrics are "O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/f...

message 46: by Tej (new)

Howard wrote: "Tej, you Wizard & movie trivia buff, as we're digressing:

What do the Witch's guards chant as they march about her castle, when it sounds like "Oreo, we all are."

What are they really saying?

Yo..."

No idea Howard, pray do tell! I dont think I ever deciphered it but. I hope it wasnt,

"Hooray for the Witch, we will have ecstacy" ?

I've heard of naughty traces left by animators in inncocent childrens movies!

message 47: by Howard (last edited Dec 23, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Randy, I've always gone with the 2nd option & once you're aware, it's dead on.

Still, as they were written into the movie & weren't in the book or play, I've always read that there was nothing scripted for them beforehand & it was suggested in the last minute.

Your source, therefore, while visually appealing may be apocryphal.

I"d have to see the script.

Otherwise, I'll go with #2 as stated.

message 48: by Howard (last edited Dec 23, 2013 11:50AM) (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Randy, to underline my point re: provenance, just read the one about Toto & Margaret Hamilton.

To put it lightly, what a load & I don't mean verbiage, did Freud write that entry?

She was a hard nose, possibly a real witch & could have cared less & even might have been pleased that the dog was lost & good riddance & then, why should she show at the end given she'a a jerk & an unwanted old bag?

This part questions the whole thing's credibility.

Just saying.

message 50: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Randy, Heh heh heh, thanks for the memories & I agree with Cricket Boy, it is one of the best & not just this season.