Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Different Languages

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 207 comments So, you may or may not know that a lot of books have been translated into many languages. One of these languages is Japanese. And some of the Japanese-translated books get cut into parts. Like book 1 becoming 3 books in Japan.

My question is, do we create a new series page for these translated editions or do we place them in their English counterparts?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43526 comments Mod
If the numbering is different, which one would expect if the volumes are broken into more parts, then they will need a different series.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Looks good, Pamela.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 207 comments Thank you

message 6: by Michael (last edited Jan 18, 2013 03:16AM) (new)

Michael (mwelser) | 198 comments Sorry, only almost there: The very helpful (cross reference) notes refer to the series FROM which they refer instead of TO the respective other one. So, by clicking on the refs, you will get nowhere.

Less obfuscated: The English series says "hey, there is also a Japanese series", with the correctly displayed Japanes title, but with the reference to the English series. The Japanese series says "there is also an English one", again with the correct display, but a reference to itself.

Have a look, please:

English:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/45363...

Japanese:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/93805

message 7: by Reina (new)

Reina (enrei-reina) | 1 comments Michael wrote: "Sorry, only almost there: The very helpful (cross reference) notes refer to the series FROM which they refer instead of TO the respective other one. So, by clicking on the refs, you will get nowher..."

See Japanese translation: トワイライト

By clicking the Japanese title link, is it meant to direct us to the Japanese page?
If so, it's not working as it takes me to the English page again.

message 8: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Done

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 207 comments Michael, sorry I was a bit inexperienced with link formats before.. I used the quotes sign (") instead of equals before quote (=")

message 10: by Vadigor (new)

Vadigor | 19 comments Apologies for going completely off-topic but I just have to say that I find the cartoon-style covers for the Japanese translation hilarious. I wasn't aware that this was a thing in Japan but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (mwelser) | 198 comments Pamela wrote: "Michael, sorry I was a bit inexperienced with link formats before.. I used the quotes sign (") instead of equals before quote (=")"

Hey, please never be sorry, least of all towards me. Thank you for investing time+energy. I am just another (quite fresh) librarian. I just have a talent for bugs. They attract me... :-)