Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Seven Markets (The Seven Markets, #1)
This topic is about The Seven Markets
Book Issues > Removing Books from an Author

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David (ohbalto) | 7 comments I'd like to separate myself from, or remove the other David Hoffmans' books from my own profile. A pain in the butt, to be sure.

Here's my profile:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/...

The only book on there (right now) that is by me is The Seven Markets. It's worth noting that this is an improvement over my profile from a week or two ago, when I was tied to probably twenty six other David Hoffmans.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide. If I'm understanding how things work, feel fee to put, say, a hundred up-carats in there between the David and the Hoffman (and hopefully someone else won't pick that number in the future.

(I used The Seven Markets as the "this topic is about" because it wasn't catching me -- the little box kept suggesting Wuthering Heights for some reason)

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments What happened to the other 'twenty six' Davids?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 76 comments Other David Hoffman (two spaces): http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

You only have one book- but the series appears to belong to you both? Not sure if this could've been helped before the account was claimed.

message 4: by David (new) - added it

David (ohbalto) | 7 comments I have written one book, The Seven Markets. All other books belong to other Davids (I suspect most of them don't take a real, active interest in tidying up their GoodReads profiles.

I don't know how many other Davids there are -- I used twenty-six because that would make me number twenty-seven and I like that number. :D

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 76 comments Well, you claimed the one with one space, so it took more spaces... The combined books of the David Hoffman with two spaces definitely aren't actually one David Hoffman- but oh well.

message 6: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments There is also this one
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

he has ^^^^ but he seems to have been the earliest David Hoffman on GR and has many of the same type of books as the ^^ version.

message 7: by Amy (last edited Dec 22, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 76 comments I shall fix it ASAP if that's OK?

message 8: by David (new) - added it

David (ohbalto) | 7 comments That'd be great -- thanks!

FWIW, when TSM went live, I was listed along with *all* the other David Hoffmans. I believe I put in a help ticket (or something) and the issue seemed to be resolved. I don't know how many ^s were used then, nor am I clear on how I would apply said ^s, but if I could have (or knew how to) apply those, I would have tossed in a pile to save y'all the trouble.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 76 comments Not sure why certain books where put with David Hoffman (3 spaces, logically):

message 10: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 22, 2012 07:54AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I don't know that being the earliest David Hoffman on GR means that that one should be the one-space version but the obvious advantage of an active Goodreads Author NOT being the one-space author is that he (you) won't end up with every new David Hoffman's edition on your shelf as they are added. Seems like a plus to me.

message 11: by David (new) - added it

David (ohbalto) | 7 comments Yah. I'd love to not have to bother y'all about this in the future.

Makes me wish I'd picked a nice, obscure pen name . . .

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 76 comments Is there a way to swap the 4 spaces David & you around I wonder... Then just 1, 2 & 3 will have to be sorted now & again...

message 13: by David (new) - added it

David (ohbalto) | 7 comments By the way, you guys kick butt with the amazingly fast response time. I've no experience with the librarians group on this site, but my expectation -- especially given the timing -- was that this would be a matter of days, not minutes, to get this sorted.

message 14: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Amy wrote: "Is there a way to swap the 4 spaces David & you around I wonder... Then just 1, 2 & 3 will have to be sorted now & again..."

Only staff memebers, like Rivka, can fiddle with Goodreads Authors.

She will find this thread after the weekend and fix the issue if she approves of it. We should probably leave it to her.

message 15: by Amy (last edited Dec 22, 2012 08:10AM) (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 76 comments Part of the reason its so confusing- I will sort this myself quickly to save the time (:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Edit: This- lastly- I don't know if I can sort, obviously the foreword was by David Hoffmann, but can you leave the author's profile empty?

message 16: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Amy wrote: "Edit: This- lastly- I don't know if I can sort, obviously the foreword was by David Hoffmann, but can you leave the author's profile empty?
http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/..."

I moved the Flower Power Remedies book to the one-space David^Hoffmann (2 n's) Herbalism author.

message 17: by David (new) - added it

David (ohbalto) | 7 comments Hiya -- About five months later, two more not-me books are showing up as being written by me, Human Rights in the UK, and Who Knew?: Things You Didn't Know about Things You Know Well (I cannot imagine both books are by the same David Hoffman).

Is there some way for me to "fix" this without bugging y'all every time it happens?

message 18: by Empress (last edited May 08, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Fixed.

I have no idea how that can be fixed. Just let us know when there is a problem if it is not too much of a problem.

You are David^Hoffman
the human rights book is by David^^Hoffman
and the Who Knew book is by David^^^^Hoffman

message 19: by David (new) - added it

David (ohbalto) | 7 comments I thought I was David^^^^^^^^^^^^^Hoffman (or something).

I really need to consider taking a pen name.

message 20: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) David wrote: "I thought I was David^^^^^^^^^^^^^Hoffman (or something).

I really need to consider taking a pen name."

Well you can change it and then I don't think any books will appear on your page :)

message 21: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I wonder if we will ever get to a stage where new authors come to Goodreads to find a name that isn't in use before they start publishing?

message 22: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
David, the upside of being the one-space author is that all your books will automatically end up on your page when they import. The downside is, so do those of the other authors with the same name.

And you can fix them yourself, IF you know the right number of spaces to add for the author it belongs to.