Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Christopher, Lucy - Stolen: A Letter to My Captor "Revisit"- Start Date November 8, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 238 (238 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
Photobucket
This topic is open for discussion of Stolen: A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher. Be prepared for spoilers

It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.

A letter from nowhere.

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I have been dying to read this one. I will definitely be participating!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I will be participating too! I have had this book for awhile and haven't had a chance to read it yet. So I'm really excited to join!

message 6: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments I've been hearing about this book forever, I think it's time I buckled down and read it with you guys.

message 7: by Lilzgold (new)

Lilzgold | 5 comments I read this book last year. I hope you all enjoy it!

Can't wait to see what everyone thinks :)

message 8: by Book Mitch (new)

Book Mitch I'm in! I pick the book up from the library tomorrow, and I should be done wrapping up my 2012 reading challenges!

message 9: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Just got my book from the library today.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I am going to have to purchase this one if I want to participate. YAY for Christmas money.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Got the audio from the library. Can't wait for this one.

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I got my copy. I'll start looking into dividing the chapters up.

message 13: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 29, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Gah! There are no chapters in this book.

Date Pages Beginning and ending sentences
January 3rd 1 - 55 "Heat was starting to hoverover the ground, making everythhing look shaky and unreal...making me feel sick." (Ending sentence)

January 4th 55 - 100 "You walked toward the outbuildings."(Beginning sentence)
"I didn't want you to see me looking at you."(E)

January 5th 100 - 151 "Day Eighteen." (B)
"I worked harder to make sure it was finished , trying to rescue you as quickly as I could."(E)

January 6th 151 - 201 "The next day I sat in the dust at the side of the pen."(B)
"The sweet not knowing of the future."(E)

January 7th 201 - 252 "A scraping sound woke me."(B)
"I'll get the camel ready."(E)

January 8th 252 - end "I laid my palms against the smooth, cool table as I waited for you to return."(B)

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Does this look good?

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Yeah, I think so! I have the audio, so this might be a bit difficult... I'll just have to pay really close attention, I guess.

message 16: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments What on earth is with our run of BOMs lately that have no chapters? It's maddening!

Just ordered this today, supposed to be 1-3 business days so I'm cutting it close lol.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I can't believe it either. This one is worse than most. It doesn't even have sections.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Sorry, Lisarenee! I'm the one that nominated this...

Next time I nominate something, I will definitely make sure it has chapters. I didn't really think to check.

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Well until you open the book you don't know.

message 20: by B (new)

B (bookswithb) | 24 comments Been eyeing this one for a bit, going to pick up my copy in the next day or so, can't wait!

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Yikes, I hate that there are no chapters! Ugh! Oh well, maybe it will be worth the no chapters.

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Laura wrote: "Yikes, I hate that there are no chapters! Ugh! Oh well, maybe it will be worth the no chapters."

If it's good I can forgive the author.

message 23: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Laura wrote: "Yikes, I hate that there are no chapters! Ugh! Oh well, maybe it will be worth the no chapters."

If it's good I can forgive the author."

Me too. It'll still be annoying but if the book is good enough then I won't bother about it. And I have heard fantastic things about this book.

message 24: by Chelsi (new)

Chelsi | 49 comments I'm going to get the book tomorrow from the library :)

message 25: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha I just got the book from the library. I can't wait to read it with you all.

message 26: by Donica (new)

Donica I got the book...on Monday :)

Started the book, I couldn't wait. I just finished a book that was just OK. I needed a good book fix. So far so GOOD.

Have a Great day everyone!

message 27: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Ready to go!!!

message 28: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments We'll have questions up shortly.

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 03, 2013 06:11PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for the first section by Lisarenee and Mary:

Here is a view of the Australian desert from a plane:

1) How long do you think Ty planned Gemma's kidnapping? How did he find out so many details about her? Did he follow her everywhere, or stalk her online? She did say "There was a strange familiarity about you. I'd seen you before...somewhere." and "You'd been with me since London."

2) "Your only escape route is through me. And that's bad luck for you, I guess, since I've already made my escape by coming here." What is Ty escaping? Is he running from something in particular?

3) Are you surprised that he managed to get away with spiriting her away to another country so easily? Do you think this could actually happen today with all the security measures that have been put into place since 911? That's a scary thought.

4) Has anyone tried damper?
Photobucket
It appears to be a type of bread.

5) "Camel meat? That's mad," I said.
I caught the warning look in your eyes immediately, saw the way your shoulders tensed. It made me shut up, made me grip hard on the back of a chair."

Do you think he was diagnosed as being mad or am I reading to much into his reaction?

6) What do you think Ty does every day in the other building?

message 30: by Chelsi (new)

Chelsi | 49 comments 1. I feel like he had this pretty well thought out. I'm not sure exactly how long he was stalking her but it had to have been for at least a little while to have figured out a shoe size. I suppose it is also possible that he planned everything for a girl her size and then picked one that fit his description of what he wanted while he was at the airport.

2. Obviously he has some mental problems and it sounds like among them may be some sort of social disorder since he wants to be away from society and only associate with one human being.

3. God I really hope not. I hope they look at people well enough to tell if they are drugged or not. They won't let you on a plane if you are too intoxicated so I feel like they should be able to notice a drugged out teenager.

4. Nope I've never even heard of it. It looks quite bland though.

5. I don't know if he was diagnosed but he is mad. He kidnapped a young girl from an airport! if that doesn't qualify you as mad it should!

6. I don't know but I'm sure its weird and in the airport he said he did art in a way. Maybe he is making something.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments 1) How long do you think Ty planned Gemma's kidnapping? How did he find out so many details about her? Did he follow her everywhere, or stalk her online? She did say "There was a strange familiarity about you. I'd seen you before...somewhere." and "You'd been with me since London."
I agree with Bianca, it seems like h e had this planned for quite some time. I think he probably stalked her for a long time and found out little bits of information about her throughout that time.

2) "Your only escape route is through me. And that's bad luck for you, I guess, since I've already made my escape by coming here." What is Ty escaping? Is he running from something in particular?
At first I wondered if he was referring to something other than just the kidnapping, but now I think he may just be referring to escaping to a place where no one will find either of them. Maybe he is a loner type too.

3) Are you surprised that he managed to get away with spiriting her away to another country so easily? Do you think this could actually happen today with all the security measures that have been put into place since 911? That's a scary thought.
I think if things are planned well that it is possible. I think it would be really difficult, but it also sounds like she was giving the impression of a super cuddly slightly inebriated person. I also wonder if he was on a smaller flight? I don't think other countries are as strict on their flight policies as America and they aren't in America.

I have never even heard of it. It looks unappetizing.

I caught the warning look in your eyes immediately, saw the way your shoulders tensed. It made me shut up, made me grip hard on the back of a chair."
Do you think he was diagnosed as being mad or am I reading to much into his reaction?
He definitely has some issues. I am wondering if something has happened to him in the past to make him think that he needed to kidnap Gemma to get her to love him. It just seems quite crazy.

I think he might have some sort of family home set up for when he thinks they might start a family. It is the only thing that I could think of that he might have.

message 32: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Questions and Comments for the first section by Lisarenee and Mary:

Here is a view of the Australian desert from a plane:

1) How long do you think Ty planned Gemma's kidnapping? How did he find out so many details about her? Did he follow her everywhere, or stalk her online? She did say "There was a strange familiarity about you. I'd seen you before...somewhere." and "You'd been with me since London."
He must have been planing for quite some time. Watching her every move. To be able to take someone in an airport and have no one notice. But then again, how much do we really pay attention to other people in an airport? But everything from the drugs, to clothes, to passport, and beyond was planned to the t. Not to mention he had to build the house and get the food (which may have been build before he decided to take Gemma, but who knows).

He must not have had a very good life. He said that he found the place in the dessert by running. I wonder what he was running from that day? Apparently he felt the need to still run from it in a more permanent manner.

Yes. As long as she had ID that looked real enough and a ticket that matched he could take her anywhere she wanted. Our security measures aren't really that secure. It's all based on pre checking people and checking what they are carrying on their body when they get on the plane. He had her name and she wasn't carrying anything bad therefore it wasn't all that difficult to take her away.

No. But I found a video that shows how it's made. Looks good enough on the inside, but I wouldn't eat the ash covered crust. http://youtu.be/sVWUKM3PRys

Well he's gotta have something broken in his brain to steal a kid and take her away to the middle of nowhere. She just said something to trigger the kook inside.

Sounds like he's still putting together the house, electricity and the like.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Interesting video, Jex! Thanks for posting it!

I agree with you about the security in airports, they make a big deal out of it, but other than checking at the entrance, they really don't pay much attention as you are boarding.

message 34: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (angleisthebest) | 105 comments I have been dying to read this

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim 1) How long do you think Ty planned Gemma's kidnapping? How did he find out so many details about her? Did he follow her everywhere, or stalk her online? She did say "There was a strange familiarity about you. I'd seen you before...somewhere." and "You'd been with me since London."

I think he had been planning it for a while. I bet he had been following her around. I wonder if he deliberately went looking for company and chose her or if he saw her, liked her, and then decided he wanted company.

I am not sure what he is escaping from, but it must not be good if he was willing to walk a week in that desert. I can't imagine what would make him keep going that long! I wonder if he has some mental issues.

I am surprised he was able to do it so easily. He just must have planned very well. I have never traveled out of the country, but I would hope this wouldn't happen very easily. Scary!

I have never heard of it, but I don't think I am missing much, lol.

I think he possible does have some mental issues. He is not acting very sane!

Not sure. Maybe projects for the house so they can make it on their own for a long time.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Hope wrote: "I have been dying to read this"

Read with us, Hope! If you don't have a copy, you can always come back to the thread later and share your thoughts of the book with us. :-)

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Questions and Comments for the second section by Mary:

1) What did you think of Ty's painting / art project? Did you expect anything like that to be behind the door? Thoughts on his emotional reaction when Gemma fought against him and messed the painting up?

2) Ty seems to have some deep-seeded anger issues, as well as problems with violence. Do you think his control will snap one day and he'll hurt Gemma beyond repair? Or is he determined to prove to her that he can be trusted?

3) Did you expect Ty to agree to let Gemma go? What did you think of his reasoning behind this statement: "I won't stop you. I'll only save you when you get lost."

4) When Ty fenced Gemma in and brought her back, did you see the act more as saving, or as capturing? Has your opinion of him changed at all since the start of the book?

5) What did you think of Gemma's dreams? I thought the Hide-and-Seek dream was sad.

6) What do you think are in those glass vials? Could Gemma be onto something with the drug theory?

7) How did you react to Ty saying he'd watched Gemma for six years?

8) Thoughts on Ty's story about his early life? Do you think his childhood has something to do with his inability to see Gemma's point of view? Do you think he really is "mad," or just a product of his upbringing?

9) Does the fact that Ty believes wholeheartedly he "saved" Gemma make him any more sympathetic a character? Why/why not?

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments I'll try to respond to everyone's questions tomorrow. I've had a ridiculously crazy day! Hope everyone's enjoying it so far!

message 39: by Kim (new)

Kim I finished today's reading, but I can't keep my eyes open now, so I will answer the questions tomorrow.

message 40: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Questions and Comments for the second section by Mary:

1) What did you think of Ty's painting / art project? Did you expect anything like that to be behind the door? Thoughts on his emotional reaction when Gemma fought against him and messed the painting up?
It was interesting that he said he didn't want to force her into going in if she wasn't ready, but then grabbed her shoulders and pushed her in. Of course she's going to get a bit freaked out. I did not expect paint. Kind of interesting though. Gemma will probably use the paint later on to cope with things.

2) Ty seems to have some deep-seeded anger issues, as well as problems with violence. Do you think his control will snap one day and he'll hurt Gemma beyond repair? Or is he determined to prove to her that he can be trusted?
He definitely has the ability to snap, but I don't know if he will. I don't know if he would be able to hurt Gemma since he sees her as being saved in a way that he could never be saved. Hurting her would be like hurting a former version of himself. I don't think he could do any major damage. Maybe something small and accidental like a slap across the face or a mashed wrist or something.

3) Did you expect Ty to agree to let Gemma go? What did you think of his reasoning behind this statement: "I won't stop you. I'll only save you when you get lost."
He knew that she had no where to go so really there was no harm in letting her run off for a bit. The most that would happen is she'd get lost and have her spirits crushed a bit with the realization that escape isn't possible. At least then she wouldn't be searching for a way out as often and may resign herself to being his sooner.

4) When Ty fenced Gemma in and brought her back, did you see the act more as saving, or as capturing? Has your opinion of him changed at all since the start of the book?
I didn't understand why he felt the need to fence her in really. She would have had to come back to the house eventually, he could have just waited. But then again, she may have just froze to death I guess and he wouldn't want that. It was definitely more like capturing then saving.

5) What did you think of Gemma's dreams? I thought the Hide-and-Seek dream was sad.
The dreams are all sad. Even the day dreams of home are sad.

6) What do you think are in those glass vials? Could Gemma be onto something with the drug theory?
It could be actual medicine. I don't know. I didn't pay attention to that part very well.

Crazy! Makes me paranoid about who might be watching me.

8) Thoughts on Ty's story about his early life? Do you think his childhood has something to do with his inability to see Gemma's point of view? Do you think he really is "mad," or just a product of his upbringing?
Product of his upbringing. His story is horrible! No child should have to go through that. I can see why something inside him snapped and understand how he thinks that he is saving Gemma even though he really isn't. I want to know more about what happened when Gemman and Ty first met. I wonder if she said something that made him feel that she needed saving to begin with.

9) Does the fact that Ty believes wholeheartedly he "saved" Gemma make him any more sympathetic a character? Why/why not?
Yes and no. It at least makes me understand why he's crazy. Doesn't make him any less crazy though. He needs some help.

message 41: by Kim (last edited Jan 05, 2013 07:39AM) (new)

Kim Questions and Comments for the second section by Mary:

I didn't really expect it, but I am not surprised that's what he was doing. Ty really seems like he doesn't have control of his emotions.

I think he could snap with Gemma, but I think if he could keep control with anyone, it would probably be her, since right now, at least, he seems to be able to calm himself down for her sake.

I was a little surprised he let her go, but he must have known there was no way she could get find her way out in time. I'm surprised he risked it though when she means so much to him.

I still see it as capturing at this point. But I do feel a little sorry for him because his life was so sad.

Her dreams were really sad and made me imagine what it would be like if I was kidnapped and kept away from my kids or if my kids were taken. Ugh. Gave me a pit in my stomach!!!!

I am not sure yet.

I thought that was SO creepy!!!! Especially because she was 10 years old when he first saw her. It really makes me wonder what happened to make him start watching her.

I definitely think Ty has mental issues, but I also absolutely think his upbringing could have contributed to those issues. His childhood was so devoid of love, he seems to think he can force Gemma to love him.

I don't know. It's a tough one. I guess maybe a little, because I believe Ty has a mental illness that he has never had help for. I can't imagine where I would be if I had his childhood. I grew up with loving parents and always felt safe and loved. Who knows how I would have turned out without that!!!

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim Jex ~ #8 ~ I bet you are right. I have been wondering what made Ty start watching Gemma. Something probably did happen to make him think he needed to save her and that's why he started watching her. I just kept wondering why in the world would a man care about a 10 year old, LOL!

message 43: by Kim (new)

Kim Mary ~ I can do a day of questions if needed.

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Kim L wrote: "Mary ~ I can do a day of questions if needed."

Thank you! That would be wonderful! Whatever day is best for you. :-)

message 45: by Mary (last edited Jan 05, 2013 08:17AM) (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Re: first section questions. I forgot to number the section section questions correctly. They should have started with #10. Oops.

@ Bianca
1 - Ah, forgot that he knew her shoe size. *shudders*

3 - You would think they would have noticed! It's pretty scary to think about.

@ Laura
3 - Yeah, I agree with your points here.

6 - Now THAT's creepy. I bet she would really freak out at that.

@ Jex
1 - Ah, you're right. I don't really pay much attention to other people when I'm in crowded places. People probably saw her, then quickly dismissed her as tipsy or drunk.

4 - Interesting! Thanks for finding and sharing that! I love his accent. I didn't realize it was literally made in a pile of ashes. You're right - the inside looks good, but I can't imagine anyone intentionally eating ashes.

@ Kim L
1 - Good question. Hmm.

3 - You're right, he must have had everything worked out to have been able to do it so easily. Very frightening thought indeed.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Re: the second section questions.

@ Jex
1 - Yeah, that bothered me too. Obviously she was going to freak out and think she was about to be murdered. Also, it was pitch-black in there! He should have prepared her better or something. Opened the curtains at least.

2 - Ooh, interesting. "Hurting her would be like hurting a former version of himself." Didn't think about it that way.

6 - Medicine makes sense, I suppose. Hmm.

7 - Me too!

@ Kim L
2 - Good point, about him being able to calm himself down for her.

3 - True. I think he was really emotional and that had something to do with it.

5 - I hated the Hide-and-Seek dream, where she hid from her mom and kept waiting for her mom to come away from her work to find her in the closet. Made me so sad. All of them did, though.

9 - Ditto. I don't know who I'd be without my parents. I think his story definitely helps us understand why he is the way he is, and why believes what he does.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim Mary ~ I will do tomorrow's questions. Let me know if you need help with any other days.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Thanks, Kim! That would be a big help.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions and Comments for the second section by Mary:

I was wondering why he did it on the floor. It didn't sound like he had done it on something that had fallen over. I didn't expect it to be his art and I definitely didn't expect him to get that upset over her messing it up. It didn't sound like it was much of anything really. I am wondering if he was making it for her?

I don't think he will ever hurt her. I get the impression that he thinks she is the only one that understands him. I don't know where he got that idea from, but that is what it seems like. Maybe it has something to do with when she "found" him? That is my best guess. I think he wants her to love him.

He obviously has confidence that she can't escape. I think he wants her to see that she can't do anything about her situation and the best way for him to do that is to let her try. He can defeat her easily in that way.

I don't think he was imprisoning her, he did cut a hole for her to get out if she really wanted. I think he is trying to keep wild dessert animals out. I am not sure if he has any other reason for fencing them in. My opinion of him is still the same. I feel sorry for him and I don't really like him at all. He has some serious issues.

I think she herself has her own issues with her family. It makes me wonder if that is why he came after her to begin with. The Hide-and-Seek dream was very sad. I would be devastated if my parents had done that to me as a child. A child needs attention sometimes.

I think it is medicine of some type. It could possibly be more of the drug that he used to take her with too. I am not sure at this point. It seems like he is very unpredictable.

I was surprised that he had been watching her for that long and hadn't done anything until now. He must have been very young when he started to watch her. I get the impression that he isn't even ten years older than her.

It is very sad that none of the people working for his father tried to look after him after they were fired. I mean they could have at least checked up on him. I do think that his upbringing has a lot to do with the way he sees things and why he is the way he is, but I also think it has to do with his nature as well. I have always believed that people turn out the way they are due to both nature and nurture. It is a mixture of the two.

This is a hard question for me. I don't like what he has done or the way he is with Gemma, but I feel sorry for him. I guess I go back and forth between anger and sympathy.

message 50: by Kim (last edited Jan 05, 2013 09:25AM) (new)

Kim How old do you guys think Ty is? I was thinking he was much older when he saw Gemma for the first time, but they must be closer in age than I was thinking.

I also need to go back and read the Hide and Seek dream. I think I missed some of it.

I need to do my reading earlier in the day. I must have been half asleep!

« previous 1 3 4 5