Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

2 different books with same link

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jossalyn (new)

Jossalyn | 91 comments here is vol II-
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...
here is vol I-
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...
they both have the same exact cover- but are different volumes with different content and different page # but the system has them as different editions, so you can only add one or the other to your books.
can you separate these with their own links- one for vol I and one for vol II- so that a person can have read both?

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Too many ratings so needs a superlibrarian to separate.

message 3: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 21, 2012 05:51PM) (new)

message 4: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Looks like someone got it. However, separating does not require a superlibrarian.

Also, you can add more than one edition of combined books. Here's how:

1. Go to the book page for the additional edition you want to add.
2. Scroll down to "My Review"; there is a link to "review this edition".
3. Select "review this edition" and it will add that edition to your shelves, in addition to any you already have.

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments It is still confusing to have two entirely different volumes combined in that way.

message 6: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Oh yes, of course. I was just clarifying that more than one edition can be added, for other books, if needed. :)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It said could not do because was separating most popular edition with too many ratings when I tried so assumed needed a super.

(Yes, I tried both on the combine page to separate individual edition and on the "other editions" page to use that "separate" menu tool to check the keep/delete editions. Oddly, the second method only showed the two volume 2 editions and the first method showed a volume 1 and two volume 2's. usually both agree; but, it definitely gave me the error message about separating the most popular edition)

message 8: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Debbie (Debbie Rice) wrote: "It said could not do because was separating most popular edition with too many ratings when I tried so assumed needed a super."

I think that means you are trying to separate the DEFAULT edition. The system assumes that default=correct so it won't let you remove that edition so you need to separate the other editions.